how do i get back on track?

Options
on friday until now i've had a mcdonald's, a subway, sweets and chocolate and i don't know if i have undone all my hard work i've been putting in for the last two weeks since i started. on friday i'm pretty sure i had over 3,000 calories.

does anyone have any tips for me to get back on track on monday and to get motivated again? because this weekend has almost demotivated me

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd just go back to what I normally eat on a Monday and the activity I normally do on a Monday.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I found the best way to avoid eating my temptation foods was to look it up first on mfp, ask myself, is it worth it, generally the answer is nope. A few times I have gone as far as buying the temptation food, regretted it, then threw it out into rubbish, because let's face it, once it's in the house your done for, takes a long time to be able to stop at one piece of chocolate.
    So in short, track before buy, failing that, throw it out rather than throw your goals away.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    You have to forgive yourself for these past few days and just get back into it! You just do! But try to learn from this, what caused you to do it?
    I've noticed that when I have chips it all goes to hell, suddenly I just need to have every other food.
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    susanayt97 wrote: »
    You have to forgive yourself for these past few days and just get back into it! You just do! But try to learn from this, what caused you to do it?
    I've noticed that when I have chips it all goes to hell, suddenly I just need to have every other food.

Good advice here. And for me it's chips, crackers, or alcohol -- once I start down that slope, I'm in trouble. So yesterday afternoon's quick stop in a little Mexican place we walked by quickly turned into a lot of chips and guacomole and $5 margaritas.

My motivation today is to try to detox and drink water, so tomorrow can be a great day.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    For me, I still eat out maybe three or four times a month. I have three kids a wife who hates cooking and a live in mother in law who is always suggesting take out. So what works for me and mind you this has taken me a long time. If they order pizza my son usually gets his own small pepperoni. I have convinced him to get thin crust instead of thick. I have learned I can satisfy my junk food appetite with one or two pieces. Chocolate I use sugar free chocolate sauce on a spoon and it helps most times. I will still have a regular candy bar but will usually only eat half a day and save the other for another day. Also just tried Halo Top chocolate ice cream, and it is great. Low fat whipped cream is also always in my house a spoonful of that helps curb the sugar fix I need. Also do not think in terms of black and white, there is a grey area I find is more long-term sustainable for me. I do not always get burgers when the family does. When I do, I ask for a simple cheese or hamburger with no mayo an ketchup. Those are usually added pretty heavy. Instead when we get the food home I add my own. I was a black and white Dieter a long long time. What it caused me was to totally disrail after a bad meal or a couple days of being over my goals. Dieting is a mental game do not trick yourself into thinking it is not. Also I like the post above about looking the item up on MFP and decide if it is worth it. You may still choose to eat there but may choose a lower Cal alternative.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    No one can motivate you but yourself. It's all internal.
    So either log your food, or dont
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    just do it. The best time to start a diet it right now, always, no exceptions.
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Your attitude needs adjustment. Think of food as fuel for your body. Would you sugar water or diesel fuel in your car? No because it isn't the right fuel. Is that McDonalds good fuel? Nope.

Only you can put down the fork.
  • Mark_Joseph
    Mark_Joseph Posts: 101 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What i learned is that motivation will only get you so far. You can watch all these motivational videos, books, and posts... But eventually you will lose that motivation and you might be back here asking yourself what will motivate you to get on track again.

What I found out after so many years of searching for motivation is that I just needed to discipline myself and become more self aware. Cause if I am not giving my best effort to reach my goals now, then why am I wasting my time even trying. No one can force you do anything you do not want to do. You decide whether or not you want to eat another serving even though you are full. You decide whether or not to wake up early to workout even though you want to go back to sleep.

Lastly, I would advise writing down your goals, fitness or not, explaining how you will achieve them. Daily, weekly, monthly, & end of the year. Monitor your progress and evaluate your habits if you are or are not making progress.

Edit: TLDR; Discipline&Self Awareness>motivation
    Write down, monitor and adjust your goals.
    Edit2: Don't be hard on yourself. I ate alot last night bcuz of the Mayweather v. McGregor fight. But that won't stop me. New day today, gotta put in the extra work in.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Log everything you eat today. Log all your exercise today. Repeat. You're still in the game.

You're still in the game.

(Liked it so much I wanted to repeat it. It makes for a good mantra).

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Fortunately, whether or not you've "undone" things is irrelevant. The only question you need to ask is...am I going to keep doing this?

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What i learned is that motivation will only get you so far.

This, so much this! I am successful as long as I have a real world goal that means something to me, so I don't have to rely on "motivation".

For me, a number on the scale isn't enough. It's just a number. So my goals are tied to goals that actually mean something, and require me to get/keep my numbers right. Like...going to surfing camp. Or...right now...preparing for a hike to Everest base camp.

Then the number on the scale isn't a goal, it's an enabler of the real goal.

• VelociFit
    VelociFit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I slip up (and it's always 'when,' not 'if,') it's been helpful to look backward a bit. Why did I slip up? Was I particularly hungry? Was I distracted by being social? Was I anxious, bored? Did I slip up a bit and then just say "screw it" for the rest of the day (or weekend)?

This has taught me to, for example, always have a snack or two with me when I leave home or at when I'm at work. If I can avoid eating that snack, great, but it's better to eat 200 calories of almonds and raisins than to eat 1000 calories of fast food. And that I'm much better at saying "no" 100% of the time than to aim for moderation. (So I have a "no sweets at work" rule to help me against the ever-present cookies and such.)

Good luck, and keep moving forward!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    When I slip up (and it's always 'when,' not 'if,') it's been helpful to look backward a bit. Why did I slip up? Was I particularly hungry? Was I distracted by being social? Was I anxious, bored? Did I slip up a bit and then just say "screw it" for the rest of the day (or weekend)?

This has taught me to, for example, always have a snack or two with me when I leave home or at when I'm at work. If I can avoid eating that snack, great, but it's better to eat 200 calories of almonds and raisins than to eat 1000 calories of fast food. And that I'm much better at saying "no" 100% of the time than to aim for moderation. (So I have a "no sweets at work" rule to help me against the ever-present cookies and such.)

Good luck, and keep moving forward!

Absolutely. I've been disappointed in myself many times, and in the past I used that as an excuse to beat myself up and tell myself I'd always be unhappy with my body. Now I use it as a learning experience. And believe me, sometimes I have to learn a lesson a bunch of times before it sticks! There is no bandwagon to fall off of here, no track, no game. Just your body and your life.