MacGregor vs. Mayweather

Options

Replies

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the Corona girls this time were all just... Dammmnnn

But boxing burns more calories than any other sport and that was the difference

I always wonder how much the girls get paid. I think I should apply. I'd love to do thirty seconds of work and then collect my cheque.

I'd so pay to see that... Lol
    You should be a Corona girl for Halloween.. :smile:
    But I get the first photo... Siiince it was kinda my idea

Not Corona because boxing is boring. An Octagon Girl, sure.

Corona girls are hotter :smirk:
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options

I always wonder how much the girls get paid. I think I should apply. I'd love to do thirty seconds of work and then collect my cheque.

I'd so pay to see that... Lol
    You should be a Corona girl for Halloween.. :smile:
    But I get the first photo... Siiince it was kinda my idea

Not Corona because boxing is boring. An Octagon Girl, sure.

Corona girls are hotter :smirk:

You'll change your mind once I become an Octagon Girl.

Only 1 way to be sure though :wink:
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Conor didn't do anything that Mayweather didn't allow. He dictated the entire fight. I didn't expect him to let it play out as long as he did, but at the end of the day Floyd is a showman and he knows how to give the PPV audience what they want.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options

Tell CrossFit Jesus that
  • CapnVillainBLK
    CapnVillainBLK Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well it went down as expected.....Mayweather starts slow to test McGregors power and measure him, then pressure him and walk him down, break him down, and take him out. Two things were mildly surprising to me....first, McGregor's supposed guard breaking power didn't exist. Average power at best as far as boxing goes. Second, I was surprised he lasted a couple rounds longer than I expected, kudos to Conor.

The fact that Conor gassed out is exactly as predicted. Boxing is close quarters combat and the pressure is far different, there is rarely a time when the fighters are not in striking distance of each other.....that takes a lot of energy to maneuver through that. Floyd pressured the hell out of him and made Conor break.....its what happens when an experienced boxer goes against a novice.

Grappling and striking is way more energy consuming than boxing. Thats why MMA is only 5 (for champs) rounds opposed to 12 in boxing. Mayweather showed his 50 fight experience, controlled the whole fight, and fought at a boxing pace. Connor fought at a MMA pace, went for the knockout in the opening rounds. He sucking by the 4th. Seemed like easy work for Mayweather.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options

No, I think Nordic cross country skiing does.
    But your point was that McGregor doesn't fight 12 rounds and after 4 was gassed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

No, I think Nordic cross country skiing does.
    But your point was that McGregor doesn't fight 12 rounds and after 4 was gassed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

For me, googling 'ring girls' burns more calories than any workout.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    Come on now

ce91lfalf7nu.jpg
    oafw7mcg5yak.jpg

I definitely agree with you

Hahaha okay okay, I give...

I'd rather see you two in either ring in either case anyway :kissing_heart::kissing_heart:
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    After rd 4 Floyd literally just walked him down with no respect for his power. It was a really bizarre fight that I'm grateful I didn't pay for
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    I dunno... I'm a huge boxing fan and don't watch much mma, but the fact is Mayweather looked like crap early on and was walked into a lot of shots... He had a lot of trouble closing the distance and was confused by the muay thi stance McGregor had...

But boxers are just conditioned a lot better, Mayweather is freaking 40 and McGregor is only 27 and gassed harder than I've ever seen anyone gas in a boxing ring...

His conditioning won the fight...

Yeah maybe it's just Mayweather being passed his prime that made McGregor look good early on, but regardless Mayweather is done, the reflexes, the footwork, almost everything that made him just wasn't there until McGregor slowed down...

I think, Canelo or even freaking Cotto beats this Mayweather.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    I dunno... I'm a huge boxing fan and don't watch much mma, but the fact is Mayweather looked like crap early on and was walked into a lot of shots... He had a lot of trouble closing the distance and was confused by the muay thi stance McGregor had...

But boxers are just conditioned a lot better, Mayweather is freaking 40 and McGregor is only 27 and gassed harder than I've ever seen anyone gas in a boxing ring...

Yeah maybe it's just Mayweather being passed his prime that made McGregor look good early on, but regardless Mayweather is done, the reflexes, the footwork, almost everything that made him just wasn't there until McGregor slowed down...

Well I'm not only a fan of boxing but have been one for over 30 yrs as an amateur and pro....now recently retired I train them. While Mayweather definitely is not the same fighter he was when he beat Canelo and Cotto a few yrs ago, i think what made this fight different was not slowed reflexes but a different approach to the fight. Mayweather absolutely embarrased Canelo when they fought because he laid back and used defense and counterpunching. He had to....Canelo is a young bull and Mayweather could never walk him down and out punch him. With McGregor, Floyd had no respect for him as a boxer and for the first time in over 10 yrs he came forward and allowed himself to be somewhat vulnerable so he could score Knockout. If Mayweather employed the same game plan he used while beating Canelo, Cotto, Pacquio, Moseley, Marquez, and all the other hall of fame boxers he's beaten, this fight would have been more of the same boring 12 round shutout wins he usually got. But with McGregor he had a novice boxer that he had no respect for in front of him, so he took chances that were calculated and not really not all that risky. He wanted a knockout and he got it. He knew what he was doing.

Eh, I don't know... I guess you can try to say, Mayweather wanted to lose the first 4 rounds but I'm not going to let my Fandom dictate what I saw...

He lost the first 4 rounds, had a tough time connecting, got countered, couldn't pull off that signature counter right hand of his and was bottlenecked into a number of shots...

I agree most mma fighters can't box and look terrible trying, so I'm not an mma fan letting my preferences dictate my opinion... I'd like nothing better than to say, yeah Mayweather made a fool out of him and mma better not ever come to boxings house and try that again, but the fact is, that's just not what I saw.

Yeah I know the plan was to wait until McGregor tires and Mayweather claims that he wanted the knockout but let's be real, he says that in every fight.

Again maybe that was his strategy but you gotta call what you see and he clearly lost the first 4 rounds and couldn't really do much until McGregor tired...
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm gonna make it real clear. As fun as the hype has been around this fight, and as entertaining as Conor MacGregor has been, he doesn't stand a snowballs chance in hell to even be competitive in this fight. It's 2 different sports, and just because MacGregor "strikes" in MMA fights.....he has had 0 boxing matches. Not saying he couldn't eventually become a competent boxer, but not in a couple of months, and not against one of the best to lace em up. Enjoy the hype because the fight ain't gonna be much.

How do you feel now lol? That was a good fight and Conor PUT UP a fight.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Well I'm not only a fan of boxing but have been one for over 30 yrs as an amateur and pro....now recently retired I train them. While Mayweather definitely is not the same fighter he was when he beat Canelo and Cotto a few yrs ago, i think what made this fight different was not slowed reflexes but a different approach to the fight. Mayweather absolutely embarrased Canelo when they fought because he laid back and used defense and counterpunching. He had to....Canelo is a young bull and Mayweather could never walk him down and out punch him. With McGregor, Floyd had no respect for him as a boxer and for the first time in over 10 yrs he came forward and allowed himself to be somewhat vulnerable so he could score Knockout. If Mayweather employed the same game plan he used while beating Canelo, Cotto, Pacquio, Moseley, Marquez, and all the other hall of fame boxers he's beaten, this fight would have been more of the same boring 12 round shutout wins he usually got. But with McGregor he had a novice boxer that he had no respect for in front of him, so he took chances that were calculated and not really not all that risky. He wanted a knockout and he got it. He knew what he was doing.

Eh, I don't know... I guess you can try to say, Mayweather wanted to lose the first 4 rounds but I'm not going to let my Fandom dictate what I saw...

He lost the first 4 rounds, had a tough time connecting, got countered, couldn't pull off that signature counter right hand of his and was bottlenecked into a number of shots...

I agree most mma fighters can't box and look terrible trying, so I'm not an mma fan letting my preferences dictate my opinion... I'd like nothing better than to say, yeah Mayweather made a fool out of him and mma better not ever come to boxings house and try that again, but the fact is, that's just not what I saw.

Yeah I know the plan was to wait until McGregor tires and Mayweather claims that he wanted the knockout but let's be real, he says that in every fight.

Again maybe that was his strategy but you gotta call what you see and he clearly lost the first 4 rounds and couldn't really do much until McGregor tired...

McGregor did this on 3 months notice, fighting in a sport that forced him to be 1 dimensional, and hung for 10 rounds with the best boxer of this era. People who don't respect that are just MMA haters who can't deal with the fact that he was the second most effective opponent of Mayweather's 50 fight career in terms of punches landed. Imagine if he would have had an entire year to improve his boxing form and cardio.

If McGregor decided to walk away from MMA and train exclusively boxing, he could have a very promising career. If nothing else, he has already earned more in one boxing match than he would have in his entire career in the UFC - if I were him I would sign for a few more high profile boxing matches, collect a few more 8 digit paydays, and go from there.
    After rd 4 Floyd literally just walked him down with no respect for his power. It was a really bizarre fight that I'm grateful I didn't pay for

I have only seen two boxing matches in the post-Tyson era: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao and Mayweather vs. McGregor.

The Pacquiao fight, where Mayweather's opponent was a "legitimate" boxer who "belonged there" was f*king awful, boring, and a waste of money. The McGregor fight was entertaining for the entire 10 rounds, McGregor actually landed 30 more punches than Pacquiao, Mayweather was forced to be aggressive and fight (wow), and was completely worth the money.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Can't believe people paid $99.99 to see this fight on Cable. Guess that's what they have to collect so that Mayweather gets his $100 Million and McGregor gets his $30 Million. Hell. I'll fight them BOTH for $10 Million. Retire with a Black Eye and another broken nose.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Can't believe people paid $99.99 to see this fight on Cable. Guess that's what they have to collect so that Mayweather gets his $100 Million and McGregor gets his $30 Million. Hell. I'll fight them BOTH for $10 Million. Retire with a Black Eye and another broken nose.

If you bought it and watched it at home by yourself you paid $99.99. If you watched it at a party of 20 people you paid $5 ;)
  • Cerealsensei
    Cerealsensei Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

McGregor did this on 3 months notice, fighting in a sport that forced him to be 1 dimensional, and hung for 10 rounds with the best boxer of this era. People who don't respect that are just MMA haters who can't deal with the fact that he was the second most effective opponent of Mayweather's 50 fight career in terms of punches landed. Imagine if he would have had an entire year to improve his boxing form and cardio.

If McGregor decided to walk away from MMA and train exclusively boxing, he could have a very promising career. If nothing else, he has already earned more in one boxing match than he would have in his entire career in the UFC - if I were him I would sign for a few more high profile boxing matches, collect a few more 8 digit paydays, and go from there.

I have only seen two boxing matches in the post-Tyson era: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao and Mayweather vs. McGregor.

The Pacquiao fight, where Mayweather's opponent was a "legitimate" boxer who "belonged there" was f*king awful, boring, and a waste of money. The McGregor fight was entertaining for the entire 10 rounds, McGregor actually landed 30 more punches than Pacquiao, Mayweather was forced to be aggressive and fight (wow), and was completely worth the money.

Make no mistake. Conor only landed basically because Floyd chose to come forward. He didn't crack any code that nobody else could figure out. Floyd was toying with him. And Conor hardly landed anything of substance, Floyd was never rocked or in any danger at any point in that fight.