Cracker Barrel!

Options
We are going on vacation today, and one of our family's favorite restaurants is cracker barrel. We will probably end up stopping there for both lunch and dinner somewhere along the trip. I have looked everywhere online and cannot seem to find what looks like valid nutrition information for cracker barrel. does anyone have any suggestions for low-cal and low-fat lunches or dinners?

Replies

• ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use this website all the time... its all been verified. Good luck and have a great vacation!! :drinker:

http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/nutrition-calories/food/cracker-barrel/
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    According to their site, they don't have full nutritional information on their entire menu. But I know some areas (like the Capital Region of NY, where I live) are required by law to list the calorie content of menu items, so you might luck out depending where you go. Otherwise, I'd stick to things like whole grain, fruit, veggies -- anything that you know is relatively healthy and not fried. I looove Cracker Barrel and have many fond memories of stopping at them on road trips with my friend's family. :)
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    I had the same problem yesterday logging. I went there for lunch and ended up going with one of the carb smart options. I personally think it's crap that they don't provide their nutritional information. Maybe if enough MFPers flood their customer service with requests, they will publish it? Just a thought.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    That's one problem with country restaurants like this. I try and go with what looks healthy and just pray. Being in the South we have 3 within half an hour of us, lol
  • Kisha2902
    Kisha2902 Posts: 2
    Options
    Try the grilled fish its only 120 calories for veggies the carrots are 55 calories. But i think if you stick to the veggies and baked or griled meats you would do great. Cracker Barrel is a hard place to maintain calories in! I love it myself and you will do great!
  • kperez19
    kperez19 Posts: 3
    Options
    I worked at Crackel Barrel fo 5 years. The only things that could possibly be on the healty side would be the salad choices with a small amount of dressing and grilled catfish. All the vegetables are full of meat fat seasonings and liquid margarine. The cornbread is made with real bacon grease. The biscuits have buttermilke and liquid margarine. The Fancy Fixin's section portions are too large for one person for one meal. Avoid Cracker Barrel, unless you're taking a vacation day and aren't that strict on yourself about making your daily goal.
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Here's my list of healthy-ish Cracker Barrel dishes. Their kid's menu is also available "for kids of all ages" (if you absolutely have to have that mac 'n cheese :devil:

Lunch and Dinner:
    - Grilled chicken tenderloin
    - Grilled catfish fillet
    - Grilled rainbow trout

Country vegetable plate or sides:
    - Country Green Beans
    - Turnip greens
    - Baby carrots
    - Pinto beans

Salads:
    - Oven roasted turkey
    - Grilled chicken

Dressings:
    Oil and vinegar on the side to fix yourself. I sometimes order regular dressing on the side, then dip my fork in the dressing to coat the tines prior to stabbing the salad...I end up eating about a third of the dressing.

Fat-Free dressings
    - Italian
    - Ranch
    - Thousand Island
    - Dijon Honey Mustard

Soups:
    - anything non-creamy

Breakfast:
    - Egg beaters and turkey sausage are available
    - One egg, turkey sausage and toast
    - Cheerios, Corn Flakes, Special K, with your choice of Pecans, Raisins, Fresh Sliced Bananas.
    - Cereal and fruit
    - Oatmeal and topping

Stay away from their "healthy" breakfast options that include the big muffins. Lots of carbs and empty calories.

Here's a pdf of their Breakfast menu:
    http://www.crackerbarrel.com/PDFs/Breakfast.pdf#view=Fit

The Lunch/Dinner menu:
    http://www.crackerbarrel.com/PDFs/LunchDinner.pdf#view=Fit
  • scottbowen1
    Options
    The manager at the one I went all but said directly that they won't release the nutritional info unless required to.