Daaaaaaaaaamn!!!

I started feeling a little shortness of breath over the past few weeks. A little more than normal when doing cardio, but still a noticeable amount. Sunday I went to do a more intense power walk on some hilly trails and got seriously out of breath on the uphill parts. I normally do those parts with just moderate huffing and puffing, but this time I was gasping for breath.

I was on blood thinners for a couple years because they found some small clots around my colon and liver. Back then I was obese and so out of shape I could barely walk a mile at a slow pace. Also had a stress test that did not come back good back then and they told me I could have had a mini heart attack at some point.

After 2 years of cardio and raising my fitness level dramatically, I asked my doctor if I could get off of the blood thinners. He sent me to a cardiologist for another stress test and an echocardiogram, and said that if those tests came back good that he would consider taking me off them. I went for the tests and they came back excellent, so he took me off the blood thinners and said after being off them for 4 to 6 months he wanted me to do a blood test to rule out being more prone to blood clots by genetics.

Anyway, Sunday night I decided to play it safe and go to the ER. They did an EKG which they said was fine, and did some blood testing. one of the blood tests indicated the possibility of blood clots, so they sent me for a cat scan.

Turns out I have blood clots in both of my lungs.

They also noticed in my records that I did have that blood test that determines if I am more prone to clots years ago and it indicated that I was. I don't remember anyone telling me that back then.

Now I have to avoid activity for the rest of the week , and start walking at a very slow pace to see if I get short of breath. then gradually work myself to higher intensity.

Daaaaaaaaaamn!!!

This sucks!

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    I'm sorry, but at least you can start treatment to take care of it.
  • tholden4
    tholden4 Posts: 72 Member
    Sorry to hear that you were taken off your blood thinner when it is documented you are prone to clots. You now need to stay on them as it's no joke as you are well aware. It's going take awhile before you get back up to speed but take it slow.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    You are awesome! I'm sure you'll make a full comeback.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Thank you for sharing. I'm on blood thinners and desperately want to stop taking them. I am taking tests this week to see the possibilities however prone to clotting is not something I've been told that I have to consider. I am going to check again with my cardiologist. Best wishes!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Thank you for sharing. I'm on blood thinners and desperately want to stop taking them. I am taking tests this week to see the possibilities however prone to clotting is not something I've been told that I have to consider. I am going to check again with my cardiologist. Best wishes!

There is a test that determines if you are more prone to clots, but it will not come out right if you are on blood thinners at the time of the test. You must be off of them for 4 to 6 months prior to having the test done.

Just making sure you know this.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Ahhh!! Scary! Glad you're ok!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    I hear you. While not even close to the issue you have, having lifted my whole life, I've had my share of injuries, but usually none that I couldn't rehab on my own.
    So after a meniscotomy this year in June (which I rehabbed fine), for the the past couple of months I've been dealing with shoulder pain that's not allowed me to workout as efficiently. This past week, after asking my doctor for an MRI (already had an xray and no issue with bones) I've been told not to work out till they give me a cortisone shot, which I've NEVER had before. And with all the rehab work I've done with others, I personally believe I might have a SLAP tear in my shoulder. DAMMMMMMNNNN!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    I am glad you checked it out!!
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    It's REALLY frustrating when a medical condition suddenly sidelines. But I am really glad you got those pulmonary clots identified before one of em sidelined you for good. Good luck in your recovery!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Thanks for all the replies.

Well it's been a week and i have done a couple semi power walks with not too much issues. Today I went to the same hilly trails that I went to last Sunday and did them at a less intense level. It was much better than last week, and I was able to maintain a 4.0 mph pace for the whole 5.25 mile route.

Going to slowly build back up to normal over time based on how I feel.