Starting again

Options
Hi,
I'm looking for friends and mentors, inspiration and motivation, as I start once again in an effort to lose some pounds (or kilograms). I'm a 37yo doctor who should know better. Probably close to 30kg overweight, and for the first time starting to feel the physical effects - reflux and indigestion, constipation, low energy levels - and for the first time in my life I've reached a point where I feel embarrassed to go out and exercise ... so it's probably time for change. I struggle with my appetite more than anything else, probably because my diet is pretty crap. Anyway, I'm now in the mode for change.
Looking for people who can support with no blame, no shame strategies - I've already had plenty of that sort of "support" and it hasn't been particularly helpful.
Cheers,
Ben

Replies

• paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP! You can do it! It'll be hard at first, but remember to take it one day at a time. Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hi Ben,

Being a doctor you may be familiar with the drug Phentermine. It is an appetite suppressant. If taken for a few months and not abused while retraining and learning how to eat right again it has helped me a few year back. I was under an MD's care and was working with a nutritionist.

In my opinion, they get a bad rap. Many people use them they are not hungry do not eat lose weight do not change what they eat or workout and gain it back. Causing the entire prescription regime of weight loss aids to be demonized as a money grab, unhealthy, or NON-natural. I think this like Gastric surgeries can aid in weight loss with the right mental fortitude and desire for change. Many people do not realize a large portion of Gastric weight loss patients gain a significant amount of the weight back within 5 years or so.

A lot of this whole process at least for me is mental.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I've started over many, many times. There is no shame in starting over. I have a big appetite, too and had to find what works for me, which is complete elimination of sugar and the addition of lots of healthy fats combined with daily exercise. But, everyone has to find what works for them. I wish you all the best on your journey to find that for yourself.
  • masterloafer
    masterloafer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey Ben! You can do it. I've tried to lose a bunch of ways, from secretly setting goals that I told no one about for fear of disappointing them and embarrassing myself, all the way to joining public programs. I can say with certainty that it's a lot easier to keep on track with enthusiasts in your corner. I'll cheer you on if you cheer me on, my friend. :)

ps, aren't doctors always the worst patients? Hairstylists wear hats on their days off and mechanics drive around with the engine light on. Don't be too hard on yourself.
  • anahi0224
    anahi0224 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Ben,
    I am in the same boat as you. I was under the care of a physician while taking Phentermine and it was great but I honestly don't think I was mentally 100% in. Once I stopped taking the medication, I gained all the weight that I had lost back. I have reached a point that I am embarrassed to go out and even be seen along my husband and daughter because of how disgusted I feel.

I am starting the phentermine again this week and definitely not taking the progress for granted. I know that I need to focus more on my eating habits and not stray from my goal in mind. I commend you starting your journey once again and wish you the best of luck!