Low carb vegetarian diet

Options
I have been losing weight by decreasing calories and increasing exercise. I would like to lower my carb intake as well. I am a vegetarian and struggle to find enough sources of protein. I already have a whey protein shake once a day and I eat various types of tofu/meat alternatives. I have recently added eggs into my diet as well. Unfortunately, I hate beans and would rather not eat than eat any sort of beans.

What else can I add in to my diet to increase protein/decrease carbs?

Replies

• Emsydee
    Emsydee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    How about quinoa, mushrooms and garden peas?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Seitan is very high protein, relatively low carbohydrate. Not sure if it's already included in the meat substitutes you're eating.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Emsydee wrote: »
    How about quinoa, mushrooms and garden peas?

Quinoa and peas aren't going to help keep carbs low...

What about more fat? Nuts (some protein, not a huge amount unfortunately). Is there a particular reason you think reducing carbs is necessary?
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you can stand it, cottage cheese, yogurt.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am a pescatarian (I eat fish or seafood a couple of times a week). Just curious why you feel the need to lower your carbs? I too, sometimes don't meet my protein requirements and I always go over on carbs, but as long as I stay within my calorie allowance for the day, I lose about a pound a week. I'm down 28 pounds since March of this year and I eat carbs every day.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    What is your reasons for wanting to go lower carb?