I need some help/advice

Options
New at all of this and dont want to make the mistake and mess up start it all over again in 6 months. I understand that breakfast is the most important meal of the day... but I HATE trying to eat early in the morning. Any "on the go ideas" other then rice cakes or granola bars? The problem is I am a single mother of 3 high school teens, I am a teacher, meaning we all leave the house at the same time. Our mornings are just chaotic to say the least.. LOL...
Im not hungry in the mornings but everyone keeps tellng me since I workout in the morning that I HAVE to eat in the morning and that its best for my body. So any ideas would help.

Replies

• beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    A good protein bar, and a sliced apple would be better than nothing. You really should have breakfast within an hour of waking up to fuel your body for the morning and to help fire up that metabolism. I personally like the P90X protein bars, but I know there are others out there, maybe not as high in protein as the P90X bars.
  • DizzieLizzie779
    Options
    I had the same issues whem I started. I never felt hungry in the morning and sometime eating would actually make me nauseas. What I did was to start off slowly. I would eat a lot of little snacks leading up to lunch. I know teaching may not be a job that allows you to just nibble your way to lunch, but try waking 30 minutes earlier and snacking on fruit right when you get up, then again 10 minutes before you leave the house. I started with yougut and fruit in the mornings. I have now been able to work my way up to an egg white and pepper english muffin almost every morning. Your body adjusts really quickly to new eating habits and it shouldn't be hard for long.
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I was never a breakfast eater and my dr told me I need to be getting some protein in in the morning. So I either protein bars are good or boil a bunch of eggs and have one each morning with toast. Or fry an egg and put on a piece of toast and you can eat this on the run.
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to eat early. It just makes me feel sick. I tried for two weeks to eat soon after getting up and working out. I finally gave it up. The sick feeling for hours wasn't worth it, I'll eat when I'm hungry.

That being said, have you tried some scrambled eggs, or just some sliced tomatoes with cottage cheese? Those where the two things that did the least damage for me.
  • joyce80214
    Options
    I can't stress the importance of eating breakfast in the morning. Think of your body as a car. If you don't put fuel in it or the right fuel it will either not run, break down, or won't function right. Eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism (furnace) after you've been sleeping. That's why you eat 5-6 times a day to keep your 'furnace' burning.......you don't want it to go out. So hence, if you don't eat breakfast your body and you don't eat for a while, everything you put into your body will be stored as fat, and your body will use it's lean muscle mass as fuel.
  • Success41
    Success41 Posts: 44
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast person either, so much so I don't even call it "breakfast."

Meal 1- Options I choose to have are

Almonds/Apple or
    Protein Shakae /with added fruit

On weekends: Oatmeal/ Eggwhites or Omelette

* I do eat every 3 hours up to 5 or 6 times a day*

Hope this helps, best wishes on your journey
  • Darthkrispy
    Options
    I like to eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal in the mornings when I'm in a hurry. The cereal is so good I don't even use milk and there's a good amount of protein. I know some people who mix it into yogurt. It's good for on the go.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don’t like breakfast either, or eating early so I try to make myself eat just a little something, something. Also, I really hate yogurt and all the other things people list as being healthy. My breakfast is one of these four: 1) Cereal: Special K Chocolate or Cinnamon Cheerios with soy milk (not to be healthy, I’m lactose intolerant 2) A slice of honey wheat toast with strawberry jelly. Pepperidge Farm is my favorite brand because it tastes less….well cardboardy 3) Instant Cream of Wheat or Oatmeal and last 4) a boiled egg with wheat toast.

They are not a lot, but enough to get my body going for the day and curb snaking in the AM. Plus, I bring it to work and if I do get snacky in the afternoon, I can always have that slice of toast again. Fruit is another good alternative, but I never have time to “prepare” them, like cut them up etc.

Oh and remember, “breakfast” is relative to when you get up and begin your day. Not necessarily first thing in the morning.
  • alwayzalady30
    alwayzalady30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great, so I can eat egg whites? LOL.. I know that sounds like a silly question but someone just told me yesterday to stay away from eggs because I ate 2 hardboiled eggs yesterday for breakfast. I figured it was quick and simple and gave me protein... IDK confused.. and if hard boiled eggs are OK.. Ill eat them everyday... Im fine with that... (yogurt not so much, its a consistency thing YUCK)
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I never ate eggs and had high cholesterol. Eating the whole egg is best.

http://www.sott.net/articles/show/232694-What-Your-Doctor-Didn-t-Tell-You-About-Cholesterol-Eggs-Part-1

If you've been shunning eggs because you fear they will raise your cholesterol, you needn't avoid this healthy protein source any longer.

For starters, eating cholesterol is not what gives you high cholesterol. According to the Harvard Heart Letter, it's a myth that all the cholesterol in eggs goes into your bloodstream and your arteries.

"For most people, only a small amount of the cholesterol in food passes into the blood," the Heart Letter states. "The only large study to look at the impact of egg consumption on heart disease - not on cholesterol levels or other intermediaries - found no connection between the two."

Eggs are also an excellent source of healthy nutrients, including choline, a B vitamin that may help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, dementia and more. Egg yolks also provide the most readily absorbed form of lutein, a yellow-hued carotenoid that may help fight everything from cancer and cataracts to macular degeneration and aging.
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    I know its horrid but you must. Have a shake. I have a slim fast right after working out in the morning. Have something high in protein if you don't gave a shake