Advice please - anxiety killing my weight gain

Options
Hello :) I'm after any advice I can get please! After a rough few years my weight has plummeted to 7stone with stress and I'm like a sheet of a woman :( I'm trying really hard to build up my calorie intake but the occasional anxiety attack seems to drop so much weight off me! Can anyone suggest some high calorie small meals or ways to still train around the anxiety? I don't want to put my body through extra stress during times of anxiety but don't want to drop my training as it's giving me a good focus.
Thanks for reading!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a doctor for the anxiety?

And, peanut butter
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Get a therapeutic massage! Full body! 60 minutes. You'll love it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Do you like avocados? Also, add mayonnaise to anything which goes with mayo. For that matter, add fats to your cooking - if you were going to cook with just a little oil or butter, use twice as much, use twice as much salad dressing. And snack on nuts or dried fruit. Also: cheese.
  • cowgoo
    cowgoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I would say #1 try everything you can to control the anxiety a) search for support groups online b) read articles about treatment c) talk to your doctor, it sounds like you're not on the right medication d) see an endocrinologist (your nutrients just may need adjusted) e) spend time in the sun everyday f) aromatherapy is helpful for me. Even though you want to gain weight, I would still exercise because that helps with anxiety.
  • tinyguns
    tinyguns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thankyou all for the speedy replies! I've seen docs in the past for it (had it over 2 decades) but I've always been able to handle it myself for the most part with meditation, mind over matter and avoiding stress where I can - I'm not a huge fan of medication unless I absolutely have to. My body is just reacting to finally getting out of a long term stressful situation so I've no doubt the anxiety will pass again soon and I'll be fine, but I hate seeing my reflection having lost so much weight so wanted to get on it quick instead of just waiting for the storm to pass kinda thing.
    Thankyou all for these great tips and advice! I'll definitely get myself booked in for a massage next week, I'm a big lover of aromatherapy so will continue to use that plus meditation too. And I'll grab some peanut butter in the morning and get munching, oh and I LOVE avocados and cheese
  • 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Heya, my son is a very slim boy, he has a genetic disorder and part of it means he has a very high metabolism and his body doesn't hold onto fat. I've found a few tricks to fatten him up over the years - butter and cheese with everything you can possibly add it to. Peanut butter, lots of peanut butter. Also, he has peadisure which is made for kids but is full of nutrients, that or something similar will help get calories up. He also had a high calorie tasteless powder to add to food and drinks, see if you can find something like that? He's gone from severely underweight and tube fed, to a big squishy lump :blush: