Has anyone tried going ketosis?

Options
Rhaus7
Rhaus7 Posts: 15 Member
If so, what were your results.. good or bad. If your currently doing it, how is it going for you?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Some people find it really easy to stick to and others (like me) cannot stick to it. There's nothing magical about it, just a way to help control calorie intake. There's typically no harm in trying it out and seeing if you are able to stick to it.
  • MizzKathleen
    MizzKathleen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just starting a ketogenic way of eating today, but modified according to Dr. Wahl's Protocol, which includes 4 to 6 servings of vegetables a day.
  • thoughtfulnest
    thoughtfulnest Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting - on day three. I like what I'm reading about balancing Thyroid (I have Hashimoto's) and hormone issues (I'm 42). I see so many people lose weight quickly this way and I hope to figure out how to do it properly and maintain it. I did Atkins 20 years ago & lost weight but gained it all back. With keto these days there are so many great replacement recipes for breads & things. I'm learning early on that I have to be really careful not to overdo it with those things - especially the ones with lots of dairy - because there are still some carbs in them. Right now my focus is on figuring out how much salad & veggies I can still eat so I feel some balance. I do love the idea of living on wings, jalapeño poppers and mozzarella sticks but even this fat-lover gets a bit queasy when I overdo the heavy greasy foods. I'm also going to learn about making fat bombs and bulletproof coffee and how to balance those so I don't still eat way too many calories. But from what I can tell this approach is the opposite of the traditional calorie counting ones.
  • BPRKEY
    BPRKEY Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I did it for about 6 months. It was by far the most successful I have ever been in weight loss. I lost 30 lbs. However, I did find that it wasn't sustainable for me to go 100% keto. I went off track for awhile and am working my way back to modified keto. I still don't eat a lot of starchy things though. I never eat rice and very rarely eat potatoes or bread. Full-fat dairy was the BEST. I love cheese. I love yogurt. Those two things were amazing.
  • amanda_rus_gofit
    amanda_rus_gofit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto for 7 weeks now! I've lost 20lbs so far doings keto. The first couple weeks are really hard. I am determined to be successful so I've had no cheat meals during this time. My cravings for sweets and carbs are gone, which is amazing bc I was seriously addicted to carbs and sweets. I loved the feeling that I got immediately after. I am also sleeping better and have more energy. The past few weeks I have6 averaged about 2 lbs loss per week.
  • LunaPipes
    LunaPipes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've spent the last 2 days delving into everything Keto. Have been in full research mode after starting the hack version of Bulletproof coffee this past Tuesday., 8/22 and doing a lot of related reading. I am slowly / considerably slashing my carbs and paying more mind to the macros as I move along. I am 42 and have been super stuck for the longest time going up and down at btw 138 - ~144 (at 5' 2") after my last kid. I am shooting for 125. Happy to have lost 2.7 lbs in 5 days with no exercise. I am going to start the 3 day kickstart egg fast at some point next week before going full Keto. I am feeling really good and the food options really appeal to me. I had definitely been eating way too much sugar.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I tried it recently but unfortunately my issues with gord (gerd) flared up and I had terrible pain from acid due to an increase in fatty foods.
  • andrederosier
    andrederosier Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    jonnyman41 wrote: »
    I tried it recently but unfortunately my issues with gord (gerd) flared up and I had terrible pain from acid due to an increase in fatty foods.

Been doing for a year and exact opposite for wife and I. Used to have to get up in middle of night and pop some Tums at least 5 times a week. I can't remember last time I had to take anything for acid reflux but I know nothing so far in 2017.

Went from 200 in Sept. to maintaining around 170-175. Off diabetic meds and cholesterol finally in normal range.
  • jelizabeth713
    jelizabeth713 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @thoughtfulnest I am hypothyroid and on keto, add me and message me if you'd like!
  • tamikappes
    tamikappes Posts: 9 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm down 20 pounds in just under 4 weeks and my hunger is very low. I don't have to restrict calories. I just eat when I'm hungry and stick to under 20 grams of carbs per day (not net). I also do intermittent fasting. Dietdoctor.com is a great site or check out: Dr Jason Fung's six part series "the aetiology of Obesity at: https://youtu.be/YpllomiDMX0

You can also check out the Keto Talk podcast on iTunes. It has some great info.
  • The_Red_Widow
    The_Red_Widow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    rvsshaelsrq3.jpg
    I was 190 on the right and 165 currently on the left. I've been on keto for 35 days and I'm down 15lbs.

Did you do 20 carbs a day ?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!