Exercise when feeling unwell ??

Options
I've been eating healthy and exercising for about 8 weeks now I've lost about a stone

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • chez171
    chez171 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ok it's lost the rest of my post so I'm gonna post it here
  • chez171
    Options
    I've felt terrible this weekend bad chest sore throat cough and aching all over I've tried to stay active but it's not been good so now I'm wondering how I maintain my fitness level and my weight loss while I feel like this ?
  • chez171
    Options
    Do I stop exercise ?? Do I do light exercise ? Walk more pls any advice would be great
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will help you. My husband has been sick for a few days. I thought I had avoided it. I woke up yesterday morning with a scratchy throat. Well, I just listened to my body for most of the day, didn't do much exercise wise till the evening when we went for a walk (stroll.) Had a light dinner then got on the treadmill for a light (emphasis slow) forty minutes.

A short story long.... I felt I was up to some light exercise, so I did it. After a good night's sleep, I shall see if I feel any worse.
  • tanny20171
    tanny20171 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am unwell at the moment and couldn't exercise as can barely breathe. I've loaded up on turmeric garlic vitamins and cold remedy, hopefully it will help. Your body needs to rest when you're sick though surely?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss progress.

I would be inclined not to exercise if I was feeling really off with a nasty cold or flu. Treat it as an extra rest day to give my system one thing to work on, getting better, rather than spreading myself to thinly which could be counter productive. I would also be keeping my fluids up. With a chest infection you will not be breathing as easily as you would normally. Hope you feel better soon.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    chez171 wrote: »
    I've felt terrible this weekend bad chest sore throat cough and aching all over I've tried to stay active but it's not been good so now I'm wondering how I maintain my fitness level and my weight loss while I feel like this ?

Stopping exercise for a couple of days won't lose you any appreciable amount of fitness.

And you can still eat in a deficit for the weight loss.

A couple of days at maintenance won't do you any harm though.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Aching and/or fever = no exercise for me. I'll usually do light exercise at home if I just have a run-of-the-mill cold, but I won't go to the gym until I won't be sharing my germs with anyone.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    If you are truly sick:
    1. Stay away from gyms/pools, don't get everyone else sick.
    2. Slow down, let your body heal. You can make things worse by wearing your body down so it can't fight off the illness as well.
    3. If you "need to do something" go for an easy walk outdoors. The fresh air will feel good and you're not exerting yourself that much.