Fitness attire

Options
I've been noticing a lot of women at my gym wearing sports bras alone at their top. I know it's rude to state, but sometimes it's hard not to notice that and look.

Do women get bothered when guys take a peak?

Do the women ever check out the guys? Especially if he is wearing tighter fitting shorts?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    For me, no, yes and yes...

Not that i ever just wear my sports bra when working out.
  • CMZ19891
    CMZ19891 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me, no, yes and yes...

Not that i ever just wear my sports bra when working out.

Like the yoga pants that have words written on the butt
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    That's one of the reasons I don't go to the gym. I don't even feel comfortable walking down the street in a winter coat, imagine wearing a sports bra in the gym! But of course there's nothing wrong with looking, as long as it doesn't get creepy.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I go to the gym to improve my fitness, not to check out other people's private areas. I also remain fully clothed. When in the pool, we are in the water and you can't really see that well, but I have not need to check it out.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I can't say the same for other girls but the only time i wear anything less than a tshirt and baggy sweats (which is very rare) is when i want to be noticed. Girls and guys stand at the mirror and flex and pose all the time, its kinda like a stage show. Sometimes i look just to see what it is they are trying to show off , sometimes i'm busy and could care less. Seriously there is no beneficial reason to workout in just a sports bra , unless you like your bare bare skin touching all those nasty sweaty community benches and equip.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    It would bother me, but I'd never wear a sports bra to the gym. I did, however, used to wear one when I went on long runs in the summer. I was younger then though.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    I can't say the same for other girls but the only time i wear anything less than a tshirt and baggy sweats (which is very rare) is when i want to be noticed. Girls and guys stand at the mirror and flex and pose all the time, its kinda like a stage show. Sometimes i look just to see what it is they are trying to show off , sometimes i'm busy and could care less. Seriously there is no beneficial reason to workout in just a sports bra , unless you like your bare bare skin touching all those nasty sweaty community benches and equip.

Haha I'm a baggy t shirt gal too, but I wear compression leggings under shorts, mostly because I'm generally either in the garden or training in muay thai.
    And I totally agree gym equipment is nasty unless your at one of those big gyms that actively make people clean their sweat.
    Best part about covering up... no shaving
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I wear soccer shorts, a sports bra and a tank top. Sometimes if the tanks gets too sweaty working my upper body and becomes clingy, I'll remove it. By the time I'm into my second set, I'm generally so focused that a heard of wildebeest could be roaming around and I probably wouldn't notice. I honestly don't care if someone stares at me or not.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

And that's why I wipe down everything BEFORE and after I use it. Although I have taken my tank top off on occasion: I tend to sweat a lot and when it gets clingy, it's bothersome while preforming some lifts. I generally wear my sports bra, a tank and soccer shorts (I live in the desert, so 11 months out of the year it's a bit hot for sweat pants).
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options

It was 100 degrees here today and my gym doesn't have AC. I'd die if I were in sweats lol.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

I generally wear a crop top/sports bra with muscle vest over the top, best of both worlds get all the air flow to cool down but still covering my wobbly belly. Saying that if the weather is particularly warm and I'm in a high intensity class then the top has been coming off. It's not that I want anyone to look, it's that I want to be comfortable and a soggy top is not comfortable by the end of a 45 minute Insanity class.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've never checked anyone out at the gym, but I do sometimes stare at other people's exercises to get ideas or analyze form as I rest between sets.

I also dress like an absolute slob at the gym, so if I get stared at, I'd assume it's someone judging my form. No matter how I dressed, though, I would expect no leering or anything similar. I do dress more revealingly at yoga simply because loose clothing is annoying during yoga and the only thing my body will be touching is my freshly cleaned mat. I expect not to get checked out there; that would be very un-yoga-like.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    Let's be real. For a lot of people the main reason they work out, go to the gym, and dress in tight cloths is specifically because they want to be appreciated by other people. Especially once they're past the "unhealthy" body composition and have managed to achieve a body that is flattered by tight or revealing clothing. Just respect the line between respectful appreciation and gawking or behavior that could be seen as threatening. Besides, if you're in the gym your focus should be on yourself, and working on that best you that you want other people to want to "peek" at.

Um, no. But thanks for presuming that women want to be objectified.

Have you tried running a half marathon in baggy tops and yoga pants? Life is too short to be that inefficient at exercise.

I respect that people have different reasons for going to the gym, that's why I specifically said a lot of people and not all people.

As for your objectification comment, I'm sorry if you read it that way. My meaning is that a gym is no less a public space than any other. I don't see why special rules would apply that don't elsewhere. There's nothing inherently wrong with seeing an attractive person, dressed attractively, and noticing it. So long as you don't cross the line into being creepy, threatening, or gross. The gym isn't an appropriate place to try and pick up people who aren't there for that reason, but it is perfectly natural for both men and women to want to be considered attractive by other people in public. Cat calling and leering are unequivocally inappropriate and wrong, in any setting. But you don't have to do any of those things to recognize attractive people in a public space.

Thank you for clarifying.