Not losing weight

Options
I'm 60 yrs old. Do at least 30 mins of cardio and strength 5 times a week. Eating around 1200 calories a day. Been doing this for a week and only really lost 1 lb. I can go up and down at least 3 lbs a day. Why aren't I seeing more weight drop? I need to lose 20 lbs by end of Sep!

Replies

• 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That would be about 5lbs a week, you need to rethink your goals because that expectation is only going to lead to disappointment and likely see you lack motivation to continue. 1lb a week is a healthy rate of loss. And you can't really evaluate whether it's working until at least a few weeks in, there's so many fluctuations happening at the start.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    why the rush to lose in a month? you didn't gain it all in a month did you? also, one week is way too short to judge anything - this should be a long term solution - not a quick fix.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Did you just start doing cardio and strength training? If so, your muscles will retain water for a bit. I don't know what your weight is, but 20lbs in a month is pretty aggressive unless you're substantially overweight.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Weight loss works by eating less calories than you burn.

If you eat 250 calories a day less you lose 0.5lb a week
    500 a day less=1lb
    1000=2lb

To lose 5lbs you would have to eat 2500 calories a day less. In other words you would have to eat nothing to be able to hit your goal.

I like to lose at 0.5lb a week, she/he who eats the most and still loses wins