Spoke to my nutrionist this morning

Options
I am one of those people who do not care better even hate all thing related to veggies. I have tried and tried just can not make it part of my long term plan. I do eat about 10 servings of either broccoli or colliflower a week. I have tried shakes smoothies and so forth just can not stomach them. So I reached out to my nutrionist who is great and did the right thing a said to eat more veggies. This is where some nutrionist stop but then talked about supplements like a good multivitamin, fiber supplement, and a D vitiman supplement to start with. Advised against the mega doses some multivitamins advertise saying that with supplements your body only will absorb a certain percentage due to the shorter time in the system opposed to ruffage. Said the supplements are better than nothing for the time being. I also stay away from fruits due to the affect it has on my diabetes, some people.do not spike while eating fruits mine shoots into the 300s. So my multivitamin also has a mineral supplement with it. Nutrionist also said expensive does not equate to higher quality. She recommended Centrum which is what I have been taking. Also take my probiotic and fish oil. I will continue to try new recipes with bell peppers and things like that. Just wanted to share this morning.. hope everyone has a great week.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    what is it you don't like about veggies? how they are prepared? texture? aside from broccoli/caultiflower - what have you tried?
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers - do you really need to eat more variety than those? Sounds like you are doing ok in the veggie department. Nice that you like your nutritionist and she is helping you.
  • 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yeah I'd have a think about why you don't like veggies, there are countless ways to prepare them, most people just boil veg and decide they don't like it, and no wonder, boiled veg is gross mush usually. For instance, sauteed broccoli tastes totally different to boiled broccolli. But I must admit, I do love veggies so I really just can't understand why anyone would dislike ALL of them, though there are a few that are pretty rank haha
  • 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I mean, supplements are fine and all if its the only way youre getting nutrition, but the best, most effective way to get nutrition is from whole foods. Keep trying and eventually your tastebuds should get used to and appreciate vegetable deliciousness
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Broccoli, cauliflower and green peppers are among the strongest tasting of veggies and therefore lots of folks don't like them. I'm surprised these are the ones you've chosen. Have you really tried many others?
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone for the input. My nutrionist is a registered dietician who keeps tabs with my doctor when I get blood work and so forth, the doctor forwards the results automatically after I signed a consent form.

As for why I do not like them I should rephrase. I do not like them prepared healthy. Salads need dressing low cal dressing tastes odd to me and I have tried a variety. I will eat a dish of asparagus sautaed in a little oil. But I rarely do. I wanted to try that Lighter Than Light Mayo but it appears to only be available in the UK. Plus to be down right forthcoming I hate cooking and meal prep.

I have a family of six who are all thin and eat horribly unhealthy meals. I can not force my wife to cook separate meals for me. I usually cook on the George Foreman grill. I do not eat many side dishes. I also eat alot of sandwiches all healthy mind you. I of course also budget calories for the day's the family gets take out but instead of eating many pieces of pizza I am satisfied with one or two depending on the size of the pizza. Same thing with other fast food. I do not eat the stuff every time they order out. But when I do I am more informed and make better choices.

This helps me feel like for the first time in my life I am not on a diet. Which is the right choice for me. Not everyone but for me I have kept lossing progressively for the past 3 years. I am down about 75 or 80 pounds some say you could have lost that in a year. I know I could have but I know after years of being in a yo yo Dieter I would have gained it all back and then some.