Fiber?

Options
trbixler40
trbixler40 Posts: 23 Member
edited August 2017 in Food and Nutrition
One of the things I've seen recently in more than one place is that fiber is something that helps your body feel fuller longer. However -- I'm surprised how little fiber I actually eat now that I've paid closer attention to it for 4 or 5 days.

Looking for ways to bump up fiber in my diet...ideas?

Replies

• jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am also lacking in the fiber department. I will be taking a supplement after having talked with my nutrionist. Word of warning start with a lower then recommended dosage or you will blow your butt out work up from there. I have researched many different types and plan to go with the pill form as I have read many reports of bad taste bloating, and cramping with the powders. But everyone is different. Some people are against supplements like multivitamins/minerals and fiber. But seem to be okay with protein and others. Supplements are another tool in my opinion, they may not be as effective as all natural but is better than nothing and I have yet to see the harm in taking them.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are excellent sources of fiber, if you can include more of these in your diet. Adding more fruit and veg should help too. Chia seeds are also a good source so try making chia puddings for breakfast/dessert. The Fiber One bars are tasty, low calorie and have about 5g of fiber per bar. Some protein and cereal bars also have a decent amount of fibre so may be worth including in your daily snacks.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Chick peas
    Raspberries
    Potato with the skin
    Carrots
    Lentils
    Onion

I average 25g a day
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Fiber cereal. Eat your veggies.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i add 2 tablespoons of ground flax to my yogurt or smoothies (or whereever else I can get it) - it means 4 grams of fiber and good omega 3s for every 2 tablespoons.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    trbixler40 wrote: »
    One of the things I've seen recently in more than one place is that fiber is something that helps your body feel fuller longer. However -- I'm surprised how little fiber I actually eat now that I've paid closer attention to it for 4 or 5 days.

Looking for ways to bump up fiber in my diet...ideas?

Soup is the easiest way imo - just add plenty of beans, split peas, lentils to the pot.. Split peas, in particular, have a very large amount of fiber.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I hit around 40-50g a day. Whole grains, beans and lots of veggies.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I do morning cardio. My post jog is a serving of frosted mini wheats. High in fiber, just a bit of sugar.

I always have beans, have a pot cooking right now. Pintos are my go to. 1lb beans, 10 jalepenos, 4 large tomatoes, an onion, a few cloves of garlic and 2oz of bacon for a bit of flavor. Salt & pepper.
  • to2jacobson
    to2jacobson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Guacamole
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    It's unusual to see an instance where someone's eating the recommended 5+ servings of varied, colorful veggies & fruits daily, and yet still getting well below the recommended amount of fiber. (So might be short on micro nutrients, too, if short on fiber.)

You'll want some fats and water with your fiber, too, or smooth transit is not assured. Some folks in the "10 veggies & fruits daily" challenge had . . . interesting times, at first. And yes, increase gradually - same reason. ;)

Get nutrients from food when you can, folks, rather than supplements: Food is evolution tested. ;)