Should you wait until you've lost weight for weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• tanny20171
    tanny20171 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    tanny20171 wrote: »
    Thankyou so much for your post. I am now more convinced than ever that I should be lifting weights from the start. I know it may influence me losing but I'm gonna try not to get caught up in the numbers game. I think I'll always weigh more than some other women. At the moment I am 235lbs (I've included pics below) but I still wear smaller clothes sizes than some women I know that are 30lbs lighter. And I think that's due to having natural muscle. I've seen pics on Instagram of women that weigh LESS than when they started lifting but after lifting look 50lbs lighter. I think I just wanted clarification because I am big and I didn't want to get bigger but after what people have kindly posted I don't think that's likely to happen. Also, I've decided to make my piece with being what I call a man beast (no wish to offend anyone). It used to embarrass me when male staff at work would ask me to crush tablets for them if they couldn't manage it but I'm just gonna go with it now, I am what I am so if I do end up even stronger lol so be it. Thanks again to all that have posted :-)

lol...interesting pics - these were supposed to show your "natural muscle mass" ?? as someone said above, you likely don't have nearly the amount of muscle mass as you keep stating (and these pics don't suggest anything different).

I don't have visible muscles, as I said I don't lift weights but I am naturally very strong, like I'm known for it. That's what I meant that can be built upon. Im not claiming to be ripped lol as I said I have never lifted a weight in my life so that wouldn't happen and I also eat 5000 cals per day +. So no I am not ripped but I am naturally a larger person and quite strong. My sister is the same height but a smaller build than me. Many moons ago when I weighed about 154lbs, my sister weighed 135lbs. We both wore a UK size 10, which I think is a US size 6? If I had got to 135lbs I literally would have died there would have been nothing of me left but my sister looked healthy at that weight as she is smaller boned. I don't think that's an excuse some people are larger framed than others
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much for your post. I am now more convinced than ever that I should be lifting weights from the start. I know it may influence me losing but I'm gonna try not to get caught up in the numbers game. I think I'll always weigh more than some other women. At the moment I am 235lbs (I've included pics below) but I still wear smaller clothes sizes than some women I know that are 30lbs lighter. And I think that's due to having natural muscle. I've seen pics on Instagram of women that weigh LESS than when they started lifting but after lifting look 50lbs lighter. I think I just wanted clarification because I am big and I didn't want to get bigger but after what people have kindly posted I don't think that's likely to happen. Also, I've decided to make my piece with being what I call a man beast (no wish to offend anyone). It used to embarrass me when male staff at work would ask me to crush tablets for them if they couldn't manage it but I'm just gonna go with it now, I am what I am so if I do end up even stronger lol so be it. Thanks again to all that have posted :-)

lol...interesting pics - these were supposed to show your "natural muscle mass" ?? as someone said above, you likely don't have nearly the amount of muscle mass as you keep stating (and these pics don't suggest anything different).

Yea I agree.... Maybe OP inserted the wrong photos by accident?
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's an excuse some people are larger framed than others

I was overweight or obese my entire adult life (about 20 years) & used to think this, too. After losing weight the only part of "large frame" I retained was my height.
  • tanny20171
    edited August 2017
    Options

Why have you posted a picture of your rack OP?

My intention in the pic is not to show I'm muscular I know I'm not.

What I mean to say is right now I am 5ft 7 235lbs and a UK size 16, or US 12. My best friend is 5ft 5, 196lbs and a UK size 18, I think a US 14. I'm not massively taller but I am just bigger. Bigger framed and therefore more natural muscle. My wrists are 17inches that's what defines a large frame is it not.... I'm not saying I'm muscular or rippled just that I am a bigger person naturally and can carry more weight because of that
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    that trainer sounds like he just took it for granted the only thing you care about is the way that you look.
    He said if I pack muscle over fat I will look huge

i would personally want to drop some of those weights on his toe, but ymmv about that. if it is in fact what your main purpose is, then i guess he could even be right.

idk though. i've been a member of a heavy-lifting group for women here for three years and seen plenty of progress pics from 'solid' women whose overall shape has been changed by lifting, in ways they seem very happy about.

as far as if you're NOT only motivated by what men like him think of you, then i'd be saying 'why waste the muscle you already have? do it now do it do it!' but i'm speaking from that can-only-dream peanut gallery made up of women who never did have much to begin with and are trying to build from the ground up.

gl either way.
  • tanny20171
    Options
    that trainer sounds like he just took it for granted the only thing you care about is the way that you look.
    He said if I pack muscle over fat I will look huge

i would personally want to drop some of those weights on his toe, but ymmv about that. if it is in fact what your main purpose is, then i guess he could even be right.

idk though. i've been a member of a heavy-lifting group for women here for three years and seen plenty of progress pics from 'solid' women whose overall shape has been changed by lifting, in ways they seem very happy about.

as far as if you're NOT only motivated by what men like him think of you, then i'd be saying 'why waste the muscle you already have? do it now do it do it!' but i'm speaking from that can-only-dream peanut gallery made up of women who never did have much to begin with and are trying to build from the ground up.

gl either way.

Haha, this made me laugh thankyou :). No metabolic health is more important than appearance, its health that matters the most. Thanks for your post xx
  • tanny20171
    Options
    This whole "where are your muscles" witch hunt thing is reminding me of a similar incident I had at work....when I was warned by the health and safety officer to stop going out alone into the car park to warn off kids doing drugs there....words to the effect of "you think you're Rambo but you're not " lol
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Just lift weights. Don't worry about what being "too muscular" at this point.

I'd recommend the book New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. The lifting program gets a little convoluted after the first phase but the text of the book contains solid information and helps settle a lot of the concerns women have about lifting.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    This whole "where are your muscles" witch hunt thing is reminding me of a similar incident I had at work....when I was warned by the health and safety officer to stop going out alone into the car park to warn off kids doing drugs there....words to the effect of "you think you're Rambo but you're not " lol

I think the confusion is because you keep talking about your naturally muscly build, then post pics of your rack (thanks tavistock for just saying it!)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Who are these crappy Personal Trainers who make all of us trainers look bad?

I'd suggest hitting the weights and dumping the trainer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I think the confusion is because you keep talking about your naturally muscly build, then post pics of your rack (thanks tavistock for just saying it!)

You're welcome, not sure whether it really translated though....
  • tanny20171
    edited August 2017
    Options

That pic is not my rack it's my body? I'm pretty much 1/3 boob so they're gonna be there no matter what pic I post.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.
    The end.

pretty much.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio, I only do it three times a week and I lift 5 days a week. Do yoga on my two "rest" days.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

Why have you posted a picture of your rack OP?

My intention in the pic is not to show I'm muscular I know I'm not.

What I mean to say is right now I am 5ft 7 235lbs and a UK size 16, or US 12. My best friend is 5ft 5, 196lbs and a UK size 18, I think a US 14. I'm not massively taller but I am just bigger. Bigger framed and therefore more natural muscle. My wrists are 17inches that's what defines a large frame is it not.... I'm not saying I'm muscular or rippled just that I am a bigger person naturally and can carry more weight because of that

As another 5'7" female, may I suggest that being overweight, and 235 is about 75 lbs overweight, does not mean you have more natural muscle. Your wrists are not 17" so that is woo. Wrist size does not determine "frame size" and certainly not when you are overweight. You have been fed a lot of falsehoods that people create to justify themselves. I'm not saying you do this, but you have been told this and now believe it because you trusted those saying it.

TLDR; Do weights, You will not regret it.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    That trainer is an idiot (but we've established that).

Lift all the weights.
  • ErikaS321
    ErikaS321 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm doing the Tiffxo program. It's cardio and strength. You use hand weights on the strength days and do bodyweight exercises, squats, lunges, pushups ect.. I feel so much stronger but is this enough or should I be doing weoghts as well?
  • andri2
    andri2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    andri2 wrote: »
    Building muscle by lifting weights will help burn more fat than any amount of cardio on the treadmill. Your metabolism will continue to burn fat for at least 2 days after you've had a good weights session. Treadmill/cardio is good for your health but will not boost your metabolism for more than the day you do it. Please don't listen to that silly man je needs to go read up on effective exercises. All women should lift some weights. Apart from helping lose fat you change your body shape and you strengthen your bone density. All in all keep going. You can do it always believe in your abilities. I am a fitness and pilates instructor so you know I'm not just pulling things out of no where.

Thankyou, I had no idea fat continues to burn post weights session so that has given me more motivation. Thanks for your post :)

You are welcome. Enjoy what you do and you will feel ( most important) and look great. X