Olympic lifts

Options
Can someone please direct me to a website or YouTube channel where I can learn proper safety and form for olympic lifts? I'v been working out for years, and want to begin a slow, safe progression in these full body lifts. Thanks!

Replies

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I would look into getting a coach if possible if you are serious about learning Oly lifts.
    I've just started learning, I don't know how I would do it without constant feedback. While a video can explain, it can't critique and correct your form.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    https://www.catalystathletics.com/

I'd also suggest purchasing Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting book and DVD.

As mentioned, these lifts are very technical so hiring a coach is preferable.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    + 1000 on getting a coach. Most clubs will have reasonably priced introductory programs to get you going injury free.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I took four semesters of Olymp lifting in college to satisfy my PE requirements, and we just scratched the surface. Continuous supervision/observation is invaluable.
    It's definitely NOT an endeavor to be self-taught or even by an 'average' trainer.
    Oh, sure, you might follow the pics in a book or video, but without an observer, you might miss something which could significantly add to your max total.
    Simply watching yourself in a mirror won't cut it.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Not sure your location, but just about anywhere should have a governing body. If you're in the USA, then check out the USA Weightlifting website (teamusa.org), it has a feature to search for clubs local to you.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Piling on- you really don't want to learn them wrong. It's hard to fix. If you want big, full-body lifts on your own, maybe do power lifts instead, and do Olympic when you can get on a course or with a coach?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    These are very technical lifts and technique is everything...not only in regards to injury prevention, but also in regards to moving the weight...skill and technique trump physical strength with Oly lifting. I'd highly recommend a coach. I started doing Olympic lifting a few years ago (though I learned in highschool) and my coach was pretty invaluable...I thought I was ok with my past experience, but he corrected a whole mess of bad technique...three years later, I'm still working on technique, technique, technique...
  • swheate2014
    swheate2014 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the informative responses. I'm meeting with 2 different coaches this week to see if they are a good fit. I appreciate your sound advice.
  • CigarCityNole
    CigarCityNole Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    give this a look
    https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

videos of the proper form, can run on smart phone and it's FREE