looking for upper body exercises while i recover from a back injury.

Options
I love running! I used to run long distances, but cut back because of major back issues (herniated discs, spinal stenosis, disc degeneration, and nerve damage). Through chiropractic care and massage I was able to run about 4 miles 3-4 times a week, and have been doing so for over a year. Then, I tripped over a bump in the sidewalk and fell. Ended up herniating another disc, and have pinched nerves etc..(I don't like to talk about my pain).

My Doc says if I'm not in pain I can run, but running is causing more pain. I'm looking for activities I can do that are more upper body focused but will still give me that runner's high.

And I don't have access to a pool, so swimming (unfortunately) is not an option.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Runner's high is a tough one to emulate, but walking tends to make people feel good, and it can be done more frequently than running.
    You can also bike/stationary bike.
    Strength training, while difficult in the moment, can make you feel like a champ afterward. You can start with a simple strength program like the one at Nerd Fitness. For legs, walking lunges or backward lunges tend to be easy on the back.
    Whichever you choose, expect the "love" to come with practice, not instantly. :+1:
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mountain/rock climbing. A lot of upper body work, and scaling a giant rock can be very exhilarating
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Please don't ask anybody for any advice on this website. Even though they may have good intentions they have no idea what they're talking about and the suggestions they can give may do serious damage to your back.
    What you want to do is talk to a physical therapist to recommend a workout routine based on your diagnosis
  • Chesirekate
    Chesirekate Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    @STEVE142142 That kind of goes without saying. I don't do anything these days without consulting a Dr. but it doesn't hurt to get ideas from people who may think differently than I do.
  • dennisroc
    dennisroc Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A physical therapist almost killed me lol , after him tossing me all around while I was in so much pain he then realized I had a slipped disc and needed surgery.
    After 2 back surgeries trust me its okay to hear other opinions and I am sure if they tell you to drink battery acid etc you are smart enough to do the right thing. Just saying
  • Chesirekate
    Options
    @dennisroc lol most definitely. I am very aware of the limits of my body, I've been known to push those limits, but that's another story for another time.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Usually PTs recommend exercises using resistance bands for post-surgery rehab. They give the muscles resistance while eliminating the straining force of gravity.
  • Chesirekate
    Options
    @xvolution thankfully haven't had surgery yet, and yes I do all my PT exercises...just looking for something to replace cardio that gives me the same "runners' high" without the running.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym nearby that has hand bikes? That's one way you can do upper body cardio.