How do you control your micros?

Options
jdlobb
jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
I've gotten really good over the last few months of controlling my macronutrients, so I've moved on to trying to control my micros as well. But on a calorie restricted diet I'm finding it hard to get enough of certain micros. The vitamins are all a lock, but almost every day I'm either deficient in calcium or iron.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Then that's when you supplement them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    Take a Calcium with Vit D supplement and an multivitamin daily. As a men you don't need as much iron as a woman (unless you have a deficiency, anemia, or other medical condition). Dairy products and foods rich in calcium and iron would help you to keep your micro levels. If you have additional concerns talk to you doctor.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/129557-calcium-ironrich-foods/
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep those are my 2 most challenging micronutrients too. One serving of cereal is usually fortified with 50-75% of your daily iron. Some, not all, studies show that supplementing calcium can lead to increasing arterial plaque buildup and increase risk of heart attack. Personally, I'd try to pick calcium rich foods, vs a supplement.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Calcium is not a problem for me as I eat a lot of yogurt and cheese, and the nutmilks I drink tend to be fortified w calcium. Protein powder also often is too. I usually end up around 175% of my calcium target lol. If you are vegan or otherwise dairy free then yeah, it's tougher. Again -- look into nut and soymilks, as they are often fortified.

I've been tracking for several years and iron is just one I can't seem to get in the right spot. I seem to average between 70% - 80% of target. Supplementing iron is tricky too since there are choices (heme- vs non-heme, slow release, etc.). I find that I get tummy distress when I supplement iron regularly, though partly that's because I'm loath to spring for expensive slow-release stuff.
  • Loriebick
    Loriebick Posts: 79 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Great question @jdlobb. I have been asking myself the same thing. I recently signed up for the paid version of MFP so that I can track the micros as well. I have long suspected that I am not getting enough potassium, since I have issues with muscle cramping, and my tracking has shown that my instincts were correct. I was surprised to find that I am also deficient in iron but a few tweaks and I have been able to do much better with that. I have tried iron supplements in the past, however they have adverse effects on my digestion, and make me super nauseous, like immediately. So I will work harder on getting my iron through my diet. Good thing I LOVE spinach and it certainly packs a big nutritional punch for very little calories. But the potassium is a bigger issue for me, and one I am working on.

But let's talk about supplementation. Personally I am a bit skeptical about supplements and their effectiveness over getting our micros from food sources. All the scientific data I have seen is mixed and seems to change so much over time and with additional studies. I am not against supplementation, but I believe that too often people supplement haphazardly and without proper oversight from a trained professional. And when I say "trained professional" I mean someone certified in nutritional science, preferably a registered dietitian. When you start talking supplements it opens up a Pandora's box of which are the best, not a lot of "fillers" etc.

I get it, we are eager to "fix ourselves" so we read articles and we try the "next thing" that is trending on fitness blogs, social media, with our friends, the trainer at the gym, etc. instead of going to someone who has invested the time and money into becoming truly educated on a subject that is ever changing as more vigorous studies are completed.

One thing that concerns me about trusting the numbers on MFP is that they are using "suggested percentages" for a wide variety of people, without consideration for individual circumstances. Some populations, pregnant women for example, need more of certain micros than other individuals. Also there are medications that sometimes interact to reduce the effectiveness of some supplements, so it is important to have a truly individualized approach to our nutritional needs and that is best done with someone who knows which questions to ask. I know that I don't fit the typical "heart rate zones" for my gender and age, so perhaps I also don't fall in the "typical" averages for the micros either. I might need more or less than the average. I bring this up because I think it is easy to fall into the trap of relying too much on the "average numbers." If I am not exhibiting any symptoms of deficiency perhaps at this stage in my life I am not "average" and maybe I am relying on the MFP numbers too much.

I don't have the answers to these questions, but I do believe they are important to ask, because supplementing when you don't actually need to is not only pointless and expensive, but could actually cause other problems. These are simply observations from someone who has worked in the fitness business for over 20 years (former IDEA member, certified in Group Fitness and Indoor Cycling, Spinning, Schwinn Cycling, former cycling studio owner) Over the years I have fielded questions like this from my own students/clients and have always told them that I am NOT a registered dietitian and suggested they consult one.

Over the years I have also witnessed so many nutrition "crazes" and they rarely stick around. Why? My guess is because many of these "programs" make a lot of money off of people who are looking for easy answers to complex questions. If you are going to supplement, I highly suggest before doing so, that you consult a registered dietitian, with credentials from a reputable program, ie with a college degree, and spend some time going over your fitness goals, your current health and diet practices. A good dietitian should be able to help you get the most out of your diet, both to fuel your fitness and lose/maintain weight. If you are going to spend the money, and supplementation can get expensive, why not invest first in getting professional advice to be sure that if you do decide to supplement that you are actually getting your money's worth? I am convinced after working with a wide variety of clients over the years that there are no "one size fits all" recommendations when it comes to our individual health and fitness.

So, kudos to you, and to me, for working to find the answers to our specific issues. I for one am planning on a consultation with a dietitian soon to help me reevaluate my diet and find ways to get better "bang for my nutritional buck." Good luck to us both!