Shedding pounds and clothing

Options
butterflybonez
butterflybonez Posts: 2 Member
So, shedding weight is awesome!!!! One of the challenges I am coming across is clothing and how to not look like a frumpy hobo dressed in a sac while trying to maintain a realistic budget as a full time student. Dropping sizes has meant my clothing is becoming moot after a month. What are some of your handy tips when it comes to clothing that can still look good after dropping weight but not having yet met your goal??

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    thrift stores and such are my favorite for shopping...sometimes you can find good deals online, and I have been known to buy multiple sizes if I can find some really good deals like $5 jeans or slacks...I actually sew, which enables me to take in clothing or add elastic when possible...I've been able to stretch some dress usage out by adding elastic in the back bodice to make it fit properly and retain it's shape even when several sizes too big...sometimes I make my own if I have enough scrap fabric laying around or can find discount fabric.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I would do thrift or consignment shopping at least until you reach your goal weight. You'd be surprise at what you'll find. I myself have donated clothes with tags on them.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    I would do thrift or consignment shopping at least until you reach your goal weight. You'd be surprise at what you'll find. I myself have donated clothes with tags on them.

This is so true! You never know. I was just talking about this earlier today. I have a BUNCH of clothes in my wardrobe from brands such as Gap, LOFT, Banana Republic, and Madewell. I don't even shop in those stores. It's all thrifted, and I'm not talking about $14.99 consignment, either...I'm talking $3.50 and $2.00 thrift store prices!

• SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm nearing 50 lbs lost this year and have come down in sizes...it's pretty nice, tbh. You look in the mirror every day, and your like...am I different? Aren't I different? Sometimes it's kind of hard to know.

But...when your belt no longer works...it's true. You're different. You need a new belt.

I just bought a smaller belt as a first step this summer (but I'm already about to shrink out of that one too)...I did finally buy a couple of shirts in the correct size...and immediately I started getting compliments from coworkers who are like stunned...wow, you lost weight? When did that even happen?

Almost all of my clothes are still too big...but whatever. I'm still trying to lose more. I sort of don't care until I'm done, then I'm going spend some reasonable money on buying clothes that look nice and fit correctly.