Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Apple Watch series 2 or Fitbit ?

Options
alisonkuan
alisonkuan Posts: 20 Member
Which one better consider all factors except cost ? For tracking running and swimming.

Replies

• Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've had (have) both and I've found the Apple Watch gave me a more realistic calorie burn. I know this because I've maintained my weight for a long time and eaten the same number of calories long before getting either device.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a huge apple fan, almost every product I have is apple - MacBook, iPhones, etc.
    I also for a short period of time owned the Apple Watch.

I hated it.

I now happily own a selection of HRM / trackers and my trusty Fitbit Surge - it never lets me down. I love it!

Everybody is different though and I think that I just prefer the way that the Fitbit gives me the stats.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    you could always look into garmin too, they have some nice triathlete watches, but that level of watch is a pretty penny. IMO garmin is better than fitbit if you are training. If its just casual working out then fitbit may be your better fit.

I don't know much about apple wearables
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Blaze watch. I love it for walking and counting steps, telling time and letting me see texts, but it's horrible at tracking my HR when I bike. Maybe one day out of 5 it reads my heart rate for my full 34 min ride. Sometimes it doesn't read accurately for 19-20 minutes. I've used a chest strap monitor to get a feel for my HR.
  • kieranar
    kieranar Posts: 57 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    It really depends on your activity type , I'm a big cyclist now and I find the Apple Watch hopeless , I ended up with the garmin vivosmart something to consider if your doing multi activities
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    you could always look into garmin too, they have some nice triathlete watches, but that level of watch is a pretty penny. IMO garmin is better than fitbit if you are training. If its just casual working out then fitbit may be your better fit.

I don't know much about apple wearables

ditto.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with running, and also love swimming, hiking, walking, and yoga.

I got the Garmin Fenix 5 in early July, and could not be happier.

If the price is a problem, get as many family members as you can to chip in for a group birthday or Christmas present, and add as much as you can yourself.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin Fenix 5X.
  • heal130
    heal130 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch series 2 I switched from Fitbit- Apple extremely accurate and motivating definitely series 2 battery life is very good
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I currently have a Fitbit Alta (no HR), but I wear it very loosely- to my wrist bone. How tight do you have to wear the HRMs in order to record? I fear if it had to be snug, I wouldn't care for it.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Fenix 5S (same features as the Fenix 5, but slightly smaller and a shorter battery life). I love it.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Polo265 wrote: »
    I currently have a Fitbit Alta (no HR), but I wear it very loosely- to my wrist bone. How tight do you have to wear the HRMs in order to record? I fear if it had to be snug, I wouldn't care for it.

It doesn't have to be tight but the sensors can't be right on top of your wrist bone. I wear mine relatively loosely and low on my wrist in every day life. When it's time to run, I just push it up my arm a bit to ensure good contact for the sensors.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Downside to the Garmin Fenix 5 is the price tag...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    alisonkuan wrote: »
    Which one better consider all factors except cost ? For tracking running and swimming.

Neither. Go Garmin.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Surge. It has been perfect for my needs. One of the things that has kept me loyal to Fitbit is their customer service. It is beyond excellent. This includes calls from setup to some basic function question that I couldn't find an answer to on their website.

I have friends who love their Garmins or Apple watches. I can't speak about those platforms. I would say to figure out your budget, and research, research, research. As, hopefully, you will have whichever you choose for a long time.

Fitbit is coming out with a new model, the Ionic, in a few weeks. Good luck.
  • CigarCityNole
    CigarCityNole Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I stopped using the fitbit flex because the thing always over calculated how many steps I take in a day ..... only track my walks on a tom tom spark 3 now
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like the Apple Watch. I think it's pretty accurate, and gives you plenty of information.
  • NJoyce13
    NJoyce13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit for years and for awhile I loved the product! I just currently switched to Apple Watch because I've notice my heart rate was insanely inaccurate if it showed up at all. Many times when I worked out it said my heart rate was over 200 or close to or it didn't register at all. This through off how many calories I would eat and either over eat because I thought I burned more or under eat a little because I didn't burn as much according to it. I found the Apple Watch is more reliable with how many calories burned and I even started losing weight even though I haven't had it very long. Every experience is different but that's mine from using both! Hoped this helps!!
  • NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit charge and then the blaze and recently within the last couple months I switched to Apple watch and it took some getting used to but I love it now!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy with the Apple Watch most of the time. It has been a lifesaver for tracking my swim distance, I find the heart rate monitor very accurate and it definitely helps me stay motivated.

Downside is the outdoor walk and outdoor cycle activities are totally borked up. A bunch of folks seem to have this problem, but none of the googled fixes work for me. If I want a calorie count or if I want the exercise minutes to count on the watch I have to set the activity for the indoor version. Annoying but not a deal breaker. Note, these activities track fine on my husband's and my MiL's watches so this isn't a problem on every series 2 watch.

(Today I biked about 3 miles. Set watch to outdoor cycle knowingly b/c I wanted to record my route. It recorded 5 exercise minutes and 35 calories. I know I'm slow, but it was a 25 minute ride and I'm positive the burn had to exceed 35 calories! ).