Lost my 40th LB since late June! Sadly, pics not showing it.

Options
TheOldBallCoach43420
TheOldBallCoach43420 Posts: 119 Member
edited August 2017 in Motivation and Support
Began this weight-loss journey back on June 23. Weighed in today and crossed over the 40 pound lost plateau. Now granted, I am still well over 300lbs, but the monthly pic isn't showing much improvement.

My clothes are fitting a little better, but kind of discouraging when you lose 40, can't see it, and nobody has said a word in 3 months

Replies

• TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    I totally understand where you're coming from!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are. My body loses from the extremities in. Sad to say I get smaller but my gut looks bigger. But I hit a point at about 240 where the gut and back fat are all that is left, then it is like getting a whole new body every day. Try and be patient and stick with it.40 pounds is great, over 10% loss. You rock!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss. Be careful what you wish for. This board is full of posts of weird things other people have said to posters here.

Last week there was a post about losing weight was evidence of meth use. Before you know it people will be worried that you're going to get too skinny. Fact is, change makes other folks nervous. They don't know how to react.

As an aside, nothing better than clothes that fit right.
  • TheOldBallCoach43420
    Options
    I work with students daily, and I have made promises publicly that I am going to better myself. I enjoy posting weekly successes, because why shouldn't you be happy when you're dedicated to this, but I just hope people understand it's going to take time.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I agree with @mygrl4meee , if you feel comfortable posting pics then we will probably notice more than you. I remember when I lost 50lb here two years ago I never saw the difference but my coworkers and some family sure noticed. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! Post the pics and get some feedback from others. We do not see ourselves accurately.
  • Coco_Camm
    Coco_Camm Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing so much in such a short amount of time!

I've lost about 35lbs and I cant see it either but like you I keep trucking :wink:
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congrats :) Don't worry, I didn't notice a difference in the pictures until 50lbs myself, and I can't notice a difference looking in the mirror (or rather, it's slight enough that every time I think I see it, I have my doubts).
  • BonnieDundee78
    BonnieDundee78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Even if you can't see them yet, it's important to know what it means to have lost them. I try and find something in my house or garden that weighs the same as what I've lost and carry it around for a while. It's always a shock to realise what all those pounds actually feel like and a massive relief to be able to put them down. Or try this: . In the OP's case, he's lost a 5 gallon water jug. Or a microwave. Or a border collie. :)

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    Options
    From a lower starting weight and with a much slower rate of loss my personal experience was that it takes the mind a considerable amount of time to catch up to the body.

It will become particularly funny when you stare at a pair of pants convinced that there is no way your leg can fit in there... yet it fits.
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I feel like when we're losing weight we are extra critical of ourselves. We are so busy looking for that progress in the mirror that we can't see it anymore and instead end up picking out more flaws in ourselves! Forty pounds is not a small amount and I'm sure it has made quite a difference in your body size. I'm willing to bet other people have noticed the change. You just have to accept that weight loss is not a quick process and the results you want to see might take more time. You're obviously doing something right so keep at it.
  • preshalin
    preshalin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I also find it very hard to see the changes when I look in the mirror. But you said your clothes are fitting better. Trust me! That is a huge positive sign. Keep it up.

I didn't see changes at first... which frustrated me and I would fall of the wagon.
    Then this year I just carried on, even though I didn't see any difference in the mirror. Now when I look at my first pic, I can definitely see changes. It will come. Just keep at time. Patience is key here.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Maybe focus on measurements for right now? You say your clothes are looser so that means you are losing inches even if you can't see it yourself.
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you are still wearing the same clothes it will hide the loss. 40lbs is amazing, people will notice and comment eventually, sometimes they dont say anything for fear of offending. Keep going .....
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    When I first started on here, I read that weight loss is like a roll of paper towels. When you first start to lose, it's like taking a sheet off of a brand new roll - it's pretty hard to notice. Then, as you (and the roll of paper towels) get smaller it's easier to see the size change as you keep taking off sheets of paper/pounds.

Just stick with it and you'll start to notice in no time! Maybe visit the NSV threads in the Success Stories section for ideas of progress that you can post that is different from pounds lost or clothes sizes down.

Congratulations on everything you've done so far!
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It's also hard for people who see you every day to notice the difference. I have had exactly one person make a real comment on my 30 lb drop - a whole dress size for me. Yesterday I ran into a woman I haven't seen in about 3 months and she was like, "WOAH! Look at you!", while gesturing to my body. I was jeans that fit (found them in the back of the closet from a few years back ;) ) and I was confused for a second, then realized..."Oh yeah! I haven't seen you since I started losing weight!"

Keep up the good work! People will notice in time. You aren't doing it for THEM anyway? Right? :)
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I know just what you mean. I don't see it. I catch my reflection and think Oh wow, I am huge even now. But my clothes are definitely looser. One day at a time and even though I get down I am still trying today. Maybe tomorrow I will feel better.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No pics to share?