Tracking Juicing???

Options
So my girlfriend and I just got a juicer, and I'm curious. How do I track the juices we make? Like the one we did last night was celery, kiwi, apple, kale, spinach, and cucumber. Do I enter each thing like I ate it? Any experienced juicers out there have any advice for me?

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I use calories determined by a juice calculator. I do not track each thing as if I ate it, that would be a smoothie. Here's the juice calculator I use: http://www.juicingcollection.com/juicing-calculator/

There are others online.
  • bluestocking06
    bluestocking06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Awesome, that's so helpful!
  • jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I recommend after posting a juice under lunch (for example) to save the meal in order so you can avoid the typing and searching labor for the future. Especially if you have a few juices you toggle between, could be a good trick for you. Good luck!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Are you eating sensibly as well as incorporating juices for extra nutrients?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Yes, you weigh and enter each ingredient. But it's a shame that most of the fiber goes to waste. Fiber is helpful in slowing down digestion.

Agreed. And I have to ask: OP what "brand" did you buy, and does it really spit all the fiber and pulp etc. out the side/bottom before you drink the "juice"?
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm not the OP, but I have a Hurom slow juicer and I love it! I also use it to make fresh almond milk (from almonds). It is a masticating juicer and the difference from a centrifugal juicer in the taste of the juice (there is very little oxidation) and how much juice you get is incredible. The pulp is dry because of the way it juices it squeezes out all the liquid. I tried drinking vegetable smoothies but I couldn't do it. I can't digest the amount of vegetables I need/want so I prepare a green juice daily. Some of it has to do with my schedule--I need to eat very quickly sometimes and walk to work and I can't eat a solid meal and do that without having some kind of stomach distress and "accident" along the way. I also make a beet/celery/carrot juice 2-3 a week to detox my liver and also increase physical stamina. I had some issues that I felt would be cured/healed by adding more vegetables to my diet (in the form of juice) so that's why I'm doing it, and it HAS worked. I'm not the OP, and she may have different reasons for juicing, but not everyone needs the extra fiber from the produce they are juicing and may have specific reasons for juicing.

FWIW I have done a couple of juice fasts in the past and you lose weight FAST and a lot, but they were relatively useless for permanent weight loss for me because I would go back to eating and gain it all back (and then some). I was not counting calories then so I don't know how many calories I was consuming during the juice fasts. Considering how much I know is in the juice I make now, I suspect it was probably 500-800 calories a day, which is not healthy, and I was eating some solid fruits and vegetables too. It fills you up though--I never felt hungry doing those fasts.