Probiotics?

Options
I'm on some medicine that lets just say slows things down a bit. Can anyone recommend a good probiotic that might help with this issue?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I actually just incorporate probiotics into my daily regimen, regardless of meds. I find it moves things along more.... regularly.

Currently I'm liking Greek yogurt with probiotics. Just 1/3 cup into my smoothies.

When things are especially... backed up, I drink kefir.
  • torontolou
    torontolou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist recommended just this morning that I use Liberte Organic effervescent kefir. 1-2 tbsp a day. She prefers that to pills. Not sure if that brand is available in your area...
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Where would I find Kefir? never heard of it...
  • torontolou
    torontolou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Most likely at the supermarket in the dairy section. or at natural food stores. Kefir is similar to yogurt...
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Usually in the dairy section of your grocery store near the yogurt. It's a fermented dairy product. If your standard grocery store doesn't stock it, you might check a health food store or a place like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Magnesium can also help keep you regular. I take 250mg of magnesium oxide for this at night (it can make you sleepy). http://www.constipation-remedies-for-all.com/magnesium-for-constipation.html I used to take a pro-biotic pill, in case Kefir "is tough to swallow" or too expensive to take daily.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prefer kefir over probiotics, basically "real" food over pills, and it has helped my digestive issues more than any other expensive probiotic pill ever did. This is the one i use, I'm in Australia so you wont get this particular brand, but you'll have an idea what to look for in the store.

0g7wdi2588kx.jpg

Also, magnesium is great to prevent/fix constipation. From my years of researching this bothersome topic, this brand comes up a lot and seems to yield the best results based on reviews.

zc23ty7v1ejo.jpg

• omerfkhan
    omerfkhan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Nothing like kefir

No comparison

• jadowns
    jadowns Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a pretty good acidophilus (probiotic) which is great to take before your largest meal of the day!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

It's very similar to yogurt, usually sold in the same section.