Blood Pressure

Options
I went to the doctor and my blood pressure was 154/118. It's been high for 2 weeks. I go to the doctor tomorrow to see how we can lower it. I know high blood pressure runs in the family. I know my problem was gaining 100 pounds in 2 years. When I workout I get a massive headache too. So anyone have tips or ideas for healthy breakfast, lunch, dinner. I would also like to know if anyone workouts I can do?

Replies

• jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Do not do anything before talking with your doctor. Tell them what you want to do as far as exercise and diet. They may recommend a heart rate monitor you can where to make sure you are not pushing too hard. It took you two years to put the weight on, take your time getting if off. Blood pressure is not something to take lightly. Be safe and best of luck
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Sorry I did not answer your question ask your doctor for a recommendation for a certified nutrionist.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You have to tone down your workout so you aren't getting a massive headache. You know why high blood pressure is called the silent killer right? You are at high risk for a stroke. Not a pleasant way to go.

Right away cut your salt consumption.
  • Mirelle242
    Mirelle242 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I was at risk for high blood pressure too. I immediately cut out fried food and salt. Drinking lemon infused water helped to. There are so many ways to lower your pressure for a moment but the best way is a healthy diet
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Lowering carbs can help. When you cut carbs, insulin will drop which reduces water retention. Some find it can help.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    In addition to the advice above, if you aren't already get logging your food so you can see where you can make changes to improve your diet, cooking from scratch is often a good way to reduce sodium levels as there is more likely to be a high level in shop-bought sauces and ready meals. You can season foods with things like lemon peel, fresh garlic, cayenne pepper and herbs instead.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great exercise. I follow the DASH diet (google it if you wish). Medications have lots of side effects. I hope your doctor takes the extra step it takes to give you a chance to do this on your own.
  • KelBlundell
    KelBlundell Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I suffered with high blood pressure too (150/100)- so spoke to my doctor when embarking on weight loss plan
    He suggested low impact workouts - so I cycle and use the site Fitnessblender videos for cardio and pilates but always choose the low impact work outs.

When I started I couldn't get through many of the videos.
    19lbs and eight weeks later and my BP has dropped to 131/90 and resting pulse to 72. So it's paying off.
    But like all things - it takes time and it's hard getting motivated.

Just on a final note on BP, my pills give me orthostatic hypotension (feel faint when I stand up from laying or sitting). As a result, I don't do burpees or walkdowns or any postural changing exercises, instead substituting for either one on the ground (cat dog or mountain climbers) or upright (jacks, lunge twists etc). No good trying to exercise if you pass out when you're doing it!

• Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    As written by @jasummers76 : Do not do anything until a physician allowed you to do so.
    In the beginning you will (most likely) be limited to walking/hiking.
    Don't be frustrated we all had to restart somewhere and no one I know started out as Usain Bolt.

With bp-values like yours it is very likely that (at least in the beginning) medication is required.
    As soon as those kick in (and the correct combination of meds is found, which still seems to be somewhat of Trial-And-Error) all workouts should be possible.

Sports and better nourishment will very soon lower your bp-values again. 1 1/2 year ago my daily medication was 10mg Amlodipin / 10mg Ramipril, today I don't have to use any bp-medication anymore. Pressure is back to 120/80, which seems to be very good for a 50+
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Alcohol. My husband was drinking hard liquor almost nightly and his BP was really high. If you drink, stop for a while and see if your bp changes. Get one of those bp cuffs for about $40 at walmart (worth the money).
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    For the longest time I suffered massive headaches and didn't know why I was having them. HBP runs in my family as well, but I never thought I could get it so young. Well finally the headaches were so severe to the point I couldn't function at my job so I went to my doctor and my blood pressure was at its all time high of 141/97 which is not super high, but it is considered Hypertension stage 1 (which is still pretty dangerous). I also started having heart palpitations (but that was probably from all the Tylenol PM I was taking to relieve my headaches and get sleep because I was suffering from insomnia as well). The Tylenol PM was making me gain my weight back like crazy (I had lost 80lbs the previous year). I always craved food (mostly high caloric junk food) whenever I took it which a lot of sedative like drugs tend to do.

My doctor prescribed me with a small dose of Lisinopril (5mg) because of my age (25) but it has really improved every aspect of my health. I no longer suffer from headaches (except when I don't get enough sleep or don't eat all day which is normal), I have way more energy, I sleep well and I even get some naps in now, my heart palpitations stopped, and I am not depressed (the headaches were making me feel so miserable).

You might have to ask your doctor to prescribe you a small dosage of BP medicine until your weight and health improves. So far I have lost 30lbs since I started taking the Lisinopril 3 months ago and my workouts have improved as well due to having way more energy.

When your blood pressure is high like that, no matter how healthy you eat or how much you workout, it may not go down on its own (especially with a family history of it). At this point you may need to take meds until its a bit lower. But in the meantime some things you can eat that helps improve your blood pressure is beets, ginger root, garlic, spinach, kale, bananas, etc. in the fruit and veg category. What I would highly recommend is eating what you already like (that's not processed) but substituting the salt with Mrs. Dash or some other seasonings like garlic and basil.

I usually would make egg white omelettes with the seasonings, spinach, and other veggies (no salt) or protein shakes with beet and ginger root in it.