How do u motivate urself to diet

Options
What's ur way to stop eating more than ur calorie needs? Maybe ur fav snack is in ur fridge and u stop urself from reaching out to that fridge and satisfy ur cravings.

Replies

• jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I want to be around for my family. I want to continue to keep feeling better physically. I enjoy the renewed self confidence. All this coming from a guy who is 270 pounds. I was 350 so I know I have a long road ahead but if I am feeling this much better after lossing what I have.. my God what will I feel like at 240.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,986 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? Obviously that's not you in the AV picture, right?

I think it's a process of making the right choices, and it's not easy.

I don't have things in my refrigerator that will tempt me to over eat them. I stopped buying things like soda pop, and if I want them I can have them out or in single-serve packages...like the $1 tiny Oreo cups, or the bakery for one donut. Sharing a pizza with friends and not taking any home. That kind of thing.
  • elizabethmcopeland
    elizabethmcopeland Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Set goals.

Eat Protein first.

Commit to the fact that this is your life and if you want to be a certain size, you've gotta act the way someone that size acts.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I agree with poster above. I don't diet. I work hard in the gym so if I really want something I eat it. Most of the time I just don't care about it anymore. I eat for fuel and junk is now mostly dissatisfying. Friend me if you'd like support.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I try to start the day off with good eating choices and setting up constraints. If I leave my debt card home I can't buy anything that I didn't bring so that's a constraint. By the time I get home after doing well all day on my diet I rationalize why I shouldn't eat unhealthy and throw away a full day of great work.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    Options
    I get on the scale. I see my weight is higher than I want it to be. I diet.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I didn't like being fat.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    compulsive overeater here so it's nearly impossible for me to stop. some days and weeks are btter than others.. as of right now i just try to counteract everything by hitting the gym hard
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I don't buy food that I will overeat, and definitely don't keep it in the house. That's a good start for me. 100 cal popcorn versus a bag of chocolates or candy in the house, for example. I'll eat the yummy stuff, but not often. Then I count calories and log it and make it a habit. An rveryday habit. Then, when you aren't feeling motivated, you do it anyway, because it's a habit.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have goals so I do my very best to stick to them.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Take a picture of yourself in minimal clothing. Paste it in a page with the most important reasons why you want to lose weight (and whatever else, such as get in better shape). I think that appearance alone isn't very motivating.

State your goals (weight and fitness by some date).

List some habits (logging foods, exercising, not eating certain foods and drinks) that you will follow for that period.

Think it over carefully and make sure you are realistic. When you are ready, print it, sign, date, laminate, and tape to the fridge. It's even better if you can enlist a partner.
  • sedehi
    sedehi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Imagine the person you want to be, very specifically. Not just what they'd look like, but what activities they'd do, where they'd go, what they'd wear, etc. Now think about who you are now. Not judgmentally, but as a neutral voice, reporting facts. And again, not just facts about your appearance. Now think about the differences, and try to lay out the exact changes you'd need to make to get yourself to the person (not body) you want to be. Break them down into small steps, and attack them methodically. Write things down. Take pictures. Notice patterns. When you achieve one of your steps, reward yourself. It's all tied together, I think. For example, I'm newly single after a long marriage. I've gained almost 20 lbs. I'm spending way too much time bored and lonely, and watching too much tv and eating sweet cereal out of the box (undoubtedly contributing to the weight gain). This isn't who I want to be. I want a social life. I want to be someone doing interesting or creative things in the evenings, not watching tv. So my first step was no tv after dinner. Start tracking. Do sit ups in the morning, read for at least 15 minutes at night. I literally make check lists of these things. This is what's helped me so far, although I'm at the beginning of all of this. I hope some of it can help you. You're great now and will be even greater when you're feeling happier with yourself. :-)
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    Options
    At first it's difficult, then it becomes easy. My sweet-tooth is ravenous. Ice cream, hot fudge...good lord. However, working out and loving the results (along with modifying eating habits) makes saying 'No' that much easier. I haven't been putting in all of that work for nothing. That said, I don't deny myself those sweet things either. I'm just way more sensible about how much and how often I eat them......except homemade Rice Krispie bars. I still have a problem resisting those.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I look at what my parents have been through with their health in the past twenty years and remind myself that I don't want to turn into them