Eating Healthy while on Vacation

Options
Hi Guys! So our family is going on Vacation soon. We will be gone 4+ Days. Im very concerned with how we can eat healthy while on vacation. Im clueless on what options are out there! So what are everyone's go to fast food or sit down restaurant choices? Specific dishes , or special requests?
The one thing I have found is the Burrito Bowl from Taco Bueno. Its 350 Calories thought high in carbs and sodium. We are not abiding by a specific diet, but Id say if you had to name it, it would be Low Carb or Atkins.

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    For starters, avoid fast food. It's a last resort, and my only option I get the Subway 12" veggie Delite on whole grain flat bread, no cheese, light mustard only with 2 packs of apples. Almost all fast casual chains have calories on the menu. Assuming you'll know where you'll be, do your homework. Salads (dressing on the side) or veggies with grilled fish/chicken and plain baked potato are good stand-boys. Plus pack lots of snacks (fruits & veggies) so you don't find yourself starving and making bad choices.

Plus, You can only do so much damage in 4 short days.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

If it's nice food that you think you will remember, enjoy it. If junky fast food, just be mindful.
  • KymBerlyBarrera
    KymBerlyBarrera Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately our cheat days have been huge fails. Fast food now makes us sick, after spending the last 6 weeks eating Healthy Home made dishes. I do have a large stash or preportion snacks read to go and plan to take a bunch of fruit with me also for snacking. I guess if all else fails we can do as nowine4me suggested and skip all the sauces and stick with steamed veggies as all the sides. The kids may have loved their french fries and pizza but now none of them will touch them after having horrible stomache pain and heartburn from eating it!
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If you can, go to the grocery store and get stuff that you can keep in your room. I always track out a grocery on vacation--largely because I hate paying 5x as much for mini bar water!!

This is helpful, especially if you have a mini fridge. You can buy hard boiled eggs, fruit, veggies etc. that you can snack on.

When you are out to meals, you can order whatever you want (within reason--it is vacation), but try to add veggies instead of fries, or start with a salad with every meal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    so don't eat fast food, order whatever you'd normally eat at restaurants (swap potato/pasta etc for veg), or go on a holiday that's self catering and cook yourself.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I just came back from a week at the beach with my family and I ate like there was no tomorrow, so I don't know how much help I'll be. However, I did do 3 very important things which are:

1) I still worked out every day. This was huge. For me, it's easier for me to fall out of good exercise habits rather than good eating habits. I knew if I kept exercising, that was more important than trying to stick to better eating. Better eating is easy enough for me to get back into when I'm home and back into my routine. I didn't do the hard workouts I usually do at home, but at least I did something.
    2) I forced myself to get back to the gym as soon as I got home. #1 above made this easier.
    3) Most importantly, I changed my mindset. I reminded myself that I was on vacation. I eat great 95% of the year. I'm entitled to one week of vacation where I'm not going to stress about eating a bowl of ice cream of plate of fried shrimp. I ate what I wanted and when I got home I ate my usual way again.

edit: It helped that we rented a house w/ a full kitchen so I was able to buy or bring a lot of my usual foods from home. I would definitely keep some healthy snacks and fruit in your room if you have a hotel.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What does "healthy" mean to you? I don't really eat fast food much, and certainly not something I go for on vacation. On vacation I typically just enjoy myself...that doesn't mean I go off the rails or anything, but I enjoy myself. Part of a good vacation for me is partaking in whatever the local cuisine is and trying new things. In the grand scheme of things, a few days on vacation...holidays...birthdays, etc aren't particularly material. What you're doing most of the time is what matters...not what you're doing on a handful of occasions.

I'm also way more active when I'm on vacation...out seeing and doing...at home I'm stuck behind a desk and commuting 10 hours per day 5 days per week...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend. Limit bread & pasta, split desserts.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I just came back from a week at the beach with my family and I ate like there was no tomorrow, so I don't know how much help I'll be. However, I did do 3 very important things which are:

3) Most importantly, I changed my mindset. I reminded myself that I was on vacation. I eat great 95% of the year. I'm entitled to one week of vacation where I'm not going to stress about eating a bowl of ice cream of plate of fried shrimp. I ate what I wanted and when I got home I ate my usual way again.

This is exactly how I handled the past weekend. We went to Georgia to visit our son after he graduated from basic training. I didn't sweat it, and enjoyed.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    Vacation for us almost always involves a beach, with lots of local seafood, simply prepared. As long as I can avoid deep fried calamari, I'm good. I'm happy with light rum, club soda and a wedge of lime in place of fruity drinks.

That being said, we went to Nashville earlier this summer, and it was a bit harder. Part of being on vacation is enjoying the local specialties, and in TN, that's barbecue, hot chicken, biscuits and cornbread. I did eat that stuff, but also ate lots of vegetables. When we went to the bars, I drank light beer or flavored moonshine with club soda. I walked a lot, and used the elliptical in the hotel gym once. I was a couple hundred calories over maintenance for the week, with no lasting bad effects. I felt like I was able to eat what I liked, and I had fun.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You could also share entrees. If you go to a sit down restaurant in the USA most of the entrees will be enough for two people.

I'm going on vacation too, for two weeks, and I decided to get a place with a kitchen. I probably will not cook every meal but definitely will eat breakfast and probably will cook dinner. It was more important for me to be able to control what I can eat rather than eat out and come back gaining all I'd lost. It helps that I don't particularly like the cuisine where I am going, so it's no loss for me to cook simple dishes for myself.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys! So our family is going on Vacation soon. We will be gone 4+ Days. Im very concerned with how we can eat healthy while on vacation. Im clueless on what options are out there! So what are everyone's go to fast food or sit down restaurant choices? Specific dishes , or special requests?
    The one thing I have found is the Burrito Bowl from Taco Bueno. Its 350 Calories thought high in carbs and sodium. We are not abiding by a specific diet, but Id say if you had to name it, it would be Low Carb or Atkins.

How active will you be on your vacation? I went to Florida a couple weeks ago and it was a 13 hour drive one way. We ate out a LOT until we got to the condo and I was able to buy groceries for the week. I walked so much every day to and from the beach, the pools, etc so I it all evened out. I figured I would either maintain my current weight or gain and I had a 2 lb weight gain which was great because I expected way more. So I think it depends on how active you will be. I made good choices and tried not to eat too much while eating out and stayed active.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I would also add to my post that since we travel with two small boys, we never stay in a hotel and pretty much always get a condo or something on Homeaway...usually for about the same cost. We cook at least one meal per day at the condo...often two. Usually our meal out is lunch, and the occasional dinner...rarely breakfast as it's just easier to do at the condo.

Sometimes we will opt to skip breakfast except maybe give the kids some cereal and then we go to brunch and then dinner in the evening.

I also do less snacking when I'm on vacation...