Does it ever get easier?

sdolan91
sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
edited August 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Mind you.. I've only been working out for a little over a week...
But I've been doing a lot of cardio. I mess with the weights a little but I'm still a huge newbie.
It doesn't seem like anything it getting easier at all. I can't run any further. I'm still a weakling at the weights...
When will I ever see progress?

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited August 2017
    I think that you will see progress once you set a realistic goal (if you want to set one). You say that you can't run any further, is your goal to run a 5K? If that's your case you can try the C25K program. I started from the couch and after that program I'm up to 5 miles now. As for the weights, you should also look for a weight program. I am doing the Stronglifts 5X5, but you can try many of the different programs out there. I recommend body building for some beginners programs.
  • jessicagreen1828
    jessicagreen1828 Posts: 133 Member
    edited August 2017
    Yes! You can do it! Work at it a little everyday!
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    One of my favorite sayings is "It never gets easier, you just get stronger". Having a goal and a progressive program to reach that goal (over time) will allow you track your progress and become less discouraged. It's only been a week...I have many weeks where I adjust within the same weight/reps or mileage because I'm not comfortable increasing for some reason. Keep a log of your progress...in six months, you'll look back and be like "wow, I can remember when I couldn't lift __ and now I just squatted __". It's a rewarding feeling :smile:
  • sdolan91
    edited August 2017
    Thanks so much everyone. I know a week isn't much, I just feel so defeated lol. But I'm going to keep going at it. I know I will see the results I want in time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    sdolan91 wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone. I know a week isn't much, I just feel so defeated lol. But I'm going to keep going at it. I know I will see the results I want in time.

what are your goals?
  • sdolan91

what are your goals?

There is a 5k I want to run in 3 months. My goal is to run the whole thing. Doubt it'll happen but lol
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    But I've been doing a lot of cardio. I mess with the weights a little but I'm still a huge newbie.
    It doesn't seem like anything it getting easier at all. I can't run any further. I'm still a weakling at the weights...

what kind of results were you hoping for in one week???
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    it happens slowly sometimes, but it happens. if you can, i would suggest a progressive program (for either lifting or cardio) - something with an app is always good because you can use it while you have your headphones in, etc. and it does the tracking for you as well as setting you up for incremental improvements. if you let us know what exercises you're doing specifically i bet people will have recommendations for whatever it is.

when i first started working out i couldn't do 8 minutes on the elliptical without feeling i was going to die and needing my inhaler. it took me a year to get up to where an hour was easy and boring. by then i had a good cardio base to branch out into other exercises.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    What type of "results" are you trying to see? Weight loss, inches lost, muscle gain, ect? One week is very short of time to see much. If weight loss is what you are after, working out is not necessary. Cardio helps because you burn calories, but excersise is merely for health benefits. Reducing calories and or the way you eat is more important.
  • sdolan91

what are your goals?

There is a 5k I want to run in 3 months. My goal is to run the whole thing. Doubt it'll happen but lol

start with C25K

Thank you. I will try that.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member

Running a 5k with 3months to train is VERY achievable. Just follow a plan, such as C25K suggested above.

Have faith in the plan! You will need a bit of patience and persistence, but you will get there. And you will feel great on race day when you achieve your goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited August 2017

Well, it's only been a week...building your fitness takes time...it doesn't happen in a week.

Also, what are you doing exactly...just randomly doing a bunch of cardio isn't going to be very efficient in building your fitness...that's why there are training programs out there like C25K. Also, doing too much and not taking appropriate rest is detrimental to fitness gains...the work is the catalyst...but fitness gains happen with rest.

I've been cycling for about 4.5 years...I didn't come off the couch to ride a century in a week...my first 1/2 century took about 4-5 months to build up to...
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member

what are your goals?

If you are willing to listen to the good advice you received (couch to 5k or similar program) it is possible. If you want instant results you will fail.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member

what are your goals?

start with C25K

I agree with C25K. It will get you to 30 minutes running. Your rate of progress will depend on where your fitness is now. Many people can achieve a 5K in 3 months, but if you are very overweight and/or very unfit (as I was) it could take longer. I did a 5k Sunday and at least half the field, if not more, walked most of it. Not a problem whatsoever. Just go and have fun. You will establish a baseline that you can build on going forward.
  • JSgetsfit
    JSgetsfit Posts: 19 Member
    I do fast passed walking because i can't run or jog butvwhen i started i could only go for 10 minutesalandcit took a lot put of me but now i csn go 3 hours of fast passed walkingbif i want to. Ot will take time and it is a slow processyou just have to keep goin. My moto on this journeyhas been "slow and steady wins the race" andcit has workes for me. All it takes is small changes and a little progress at a time andvit all adds up in the end.