Losing weight, yet still so down.

Options
I've been trying to lose weight in order to be healthier, to be able to move around and hopefully feel better about myself. It's been sooo long just to lose 18kgs in 2 years and in the midst of it all I still don't feel any better about myself. I've still got heaps more weight to lose (at least another 20kgs) and feel its only going to get longer & harder if I can't pick up.

Replies

• theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The only one standing in our way in our weight loss journey is us.
    We know what it do. How to do it and what is required to get there.
    This journey isn't easy.
    It takes time. Patience and focus.
    Negative thoughts and beating yourself up emotionally is derailing your weight loss efforts and lowering your self esteem.

Having support will help you on your journey.
    Researching new recipes, meal plans and reassessing what you are eating and your caloric intake will certainly be beneficial.

The main thing is you.
    You have the ability to lose weight. You have done it.
    But having a positive mental attitude is by far the best tool in your arsenal.

Good luck
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    You may not feel better about yourself, but being down 18kg is fantastic and your body must feel better. You're halfway there. That's a lot of weight that most people never lose. By doing it slowly you're setting yourself up to succeed. For the long haul. For maintenance. Because, you do know that learning how to control portion sizes isn't something that's ever "over", so, there's no rush to get "there". Just keep doing what you're doing and tell that little voice in your head to stop talking. You are really doing great!
  • Kmedeiros83
    Kmedeiros83 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I would personally start with your PCP. It sounds like you're battling a bit of depression. There are many techniques and drugs to help you control those emotions you're having. Wish you the best of luck, keep your chin up!
  • Mez79p
    Mez79p Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, hopefully I'll be on the up soon once I get back to the gym on a regular basis. There are other reasons for some of these emotions but feel that they are out of my hands & thought that at least my weight was something I could control. Thanks for the tips.
  • hellbound747
    hellbound747 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi. Losing weight, getting fit or even packing muscle takes time. Thats the unfortunate part of exercise. However rather than over reaching your personal goal to your ideal weight try to take it day by day week by week and so on. Its a journey to be enjoyed or at least try to enjoy it otherwise it will feel like a chore. Plus its worth looking back from where you used to be and see the progress you have made rather seeing how much much further you have to go. Well done and keep up the good work!!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Rethink. The only goal I'd look at is the next lb. The 38 kg, and see how you like it is a good strategy. Reminds me of how I lost.

I've lost 100 lbs and kept it off 11 years. In the end I spent as long losing as I did gaining. I remember the time I spent stuck at the same weight but I never kick myself for losing slowly. Because the most important thing is not gaining it back.

If you read this board a lot it presents a great record of how overweight people beat themselves up. You've done solid work.

You've quit gaining.
    You've lost weight.
    You're about halfway to your initial goal.

Now your brain is digging around for a way to give you a kick and wants to say none of it matters because it's taking too long.

Do you have a livable program that has you on a moderate downward trend? If yes, you have what you need to succeed. Downward trend + time for it to work= weight loss. Read this board and you find people wrecking themselves over time. Don't.
  • JamieAmble
    JamieAmble Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is not uncommon to take away the crutch (i.e. food, cigarettes, alcohol, or even drugs) and the mood worsens. I always tell people with mood disturbances to increase exercise to a minimum of 30 minutes per day, maintain a healthy diet, make sure you are receiving adequate sleep and managing your stressors either independently or with the help of a therapist/clergy/trusted individual. If that is not effective then evaluation for depression/mood disorder should take place with possible medication management.