Over 10000 steps a day

Options
sarahseeto
sarahseeto Posts: 38 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys!

I just wanted to find out why mfp doesn't track walking calories very well? I've done over 12000 steps today and it says that it contributes to 49 of my exercise calories? I'm clearly missing something...

[irivjos3918uj.png
][/i]

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I use an app Pacer to track my steps. Sometimes the app is great and other times very buggy with syncing. If you click on the exercise where your steps are included it should add your calories burned from walking to your BMR to work out your overall calories burned a day. Most of the times it does but sometimes it has some weirdly inflated number for my BMR. Sometimes it has that I have burned additional caloties on MFP which I haven't and deducts this number from the calories. Sometimes it adds the steps twice. Very frustrating.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I use an app Pacer to track my steps. Sometimes the app is great and other times very buggy with syncing. If you click on the exercise where your steps are included it should add your calories burned from walking to your BMR to work out your overall calories burned a day. Most of the times it does but sometimes it has some weirdly inflated number for my BMR. Sometimes it has that I have burned additional caloties on MFP which I haven't and deducts this number from the calories. Sometimes it adds the steps twice. Very frustrating.

I was using Pacer even though I have a fitbit but I had to uninstall it cuz it would freeze and not count steps plus it drained my phone battery fast!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    sarahseeto wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I just wanted to find out why mfp doesn't track walking calories very well? I've done over 12000 steps today and it says that it contributes to 49 of my exercise calories? I'm clearly missing something...

[irivjos3918uj.png
    ][/i]

That's super low! What is your activity set too?
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm set to sedentary and usually get about 300-400 extra calories a day from hitting 10k steps. I suspect OP's activity level is not set to sedentary.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Your activity must be set at 'active' on MFP, that's all.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    There's been some changes to how MFP calculates the calorie adjustment from an iPhone or Apple watch.

If your activity level is set to Sedentary, you definitely should be seeing higher numbers.

If your activity level is set higher, then that exercise adjustment might be right.

~Lyssa
  • sarahseeto
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Hey guys!

[irivjos3918uj.png
    ][/i]

What's low? My step calorie count? I'm pretty sure I've set it to active like everyone else have suggested. This make sense!

Thanks guys!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

[irivjos3918uj.png
    ][/i]

What's low? My step calorie count? I'm pretty sure I've set it to active like everyone else have suggested. This make sense!

Thanks guys!

Are you really active all day every day? I wonder who suggested that, most often I see people recommend sedentary or lightly active. Log your organized workouts extra. If you lower the activity setting, you'll get more credit for your steps, but it should all even out in the end. The risk of setting it too high is that you'll think you have calories to eat that you don't truly have. Your goal is only 1300 and that's really low too. I suspect someone told you to game the system by setting a high activity level to fudge the calories. I apologize if you are truly very active all day long, but if that's the case, you need more than 1300.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

[irivjos3918uj.png
    ][/i]

Thanks guys!

That's why the extra is so low. It's your active activity setting. You only earn extra when you go above what it assumes you would use in a day and it already assumed you would burn a higher number being active. Mine is set to sedentary and I earn about 300 because my original goal is so low assuming I don't move much
  • sarahseeto
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Hey guys!

[irivjos3918uj.png
    ][/i]

Thanks guys!

Are you really active all day every day? I wonder who suggested that, most often I see people recommend sedentary or lightly active. Log your organized workouts extra. If you lower the activity setting, you'll get more credit for your steps, but it should all even out in the end. The risk of setting it too high is that you'll think you have calories to eat that you don't truly have. Your goal is only 1300 and that's really low too. I suspect someone told you to game the system by setting a high activity level to fudge the calories. I apologize if you are truly very active all day long, but if that's the case, you need more than 1300.

Hello! I would say that yes i am active every day, all day. I'm a nurse on a rotating roster and I average around 10000 steps a day and I go to the gym before or after work 5 times a week for an hour. On weekends I either go mountain bike riding or a 5k job around the lake. I wouldn't say I was fit, I'm just determined and stubborn. I normally have a rest day on Sunday but I still try to do over 8000-10000 steps a day. I meal prep every weekend and measure everything I put in my mouth with a scale.

Despite doing more then 13000 steps today, this app has given me no extra credit. Haha, oh well, I don't eat back my calories anyway. I just like my calories in the green!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Thanks guys!

Hello! I would say that yes i am active every day, all day. I'm a nurse on a rotating roster and I average around 10000 steps a day and I go to the gym before or after work 5 times a week for an hour. On weekends I either go mountain bike riding or a 5k job around the lake. I wouldn't say I was fit, I'm just determined and stubborn. I normally have a rest day on Sunday but I still try to do over 8000-10000 steps a day. I meal prep every weekend and measure everything I put in my mouth with a scale.

Despite doing more then 13000 steps today, this app has given me no extra credit. Haha, oh well, I don't eat back my calories anyway. I just like my calories in the green!

It has given you "extra credit" it's included in your basic calorie allowance. If you had picked a lower activity level you would have a lower base calorie allowance but would gain more from exercise.

f1h9klhyqxqi.jpg
  • farmgirlco
    farmgirlco Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I don't think the issue is that the activity level was set low because mine is wet to sedentary (I like to see my steps count towards something) and we have the exact same goal of 1300 every day. I'm thinking it's an issue with the syncing. Can I ask when you synced? If you're a nurse it may reset at midnight and if you're mid shift do some go towards the previous day?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    farmgirlco wrote: »
    I don't think the issue is that the activity level was set low because mine is wet to sedentary (I like to see my steps count towards something) and we have the exact same goal of 1300 every day. I'm thinking it's an issue with the syncing. Can I ask when you synced? If you're a nurse it may reset at midnight and if you're mid shift do some go towards the previous day?

OP has already stated she has herself set as Active which is why she doesn't get much of an adjustment, the activity level already includes a high step count, so she will only receive an adjustment for steps over and above the active level, the rest is included in her base calorie level. It's not a sync issue. OPs calorie count may just be capped at that amount due to having chosen an overly aggressive weight loss rate as it won't drop below 1200 and then would have adjusted up for the "Active" activity level.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you've set it to "active", then the first 10k-15k steps will be mostly already be accounted for by your activity setting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

[irivjos3918uj.png
    ][/i]

Thanks guys!

Yeah, if your activity level is set to active, those calories are already accounted for in your activity level...getting more would be double dipping.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

[irivjos3918uj.png
    ][/i]

Thanks guys!

If it is set to active is it because of your exercise or because of your life in general being active.

For example a postal delivery person (on foot) would set to active and then "add" in exercise.
    An office worker maybe sets to sedentary and adds in exercise...

I am an office worker...set to sedentary and let my fitbit give me my calories.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @sarahseeto Do you have 'negative adjustments' enabled here? If you dont meet mfp's active setting you will start losing calories very quickly.

My advice is if you are going to stay set at active enable those adjustments. Personally i would set myself at lightly active if i were you. My daily goal is to get a minimum of 13k steps, but i have it set to sedentary on here, because if i go for the higher activity levels i lose a swag of calories from bed to midnight which completely negates the extra calories i get from the the higher activity levels.