Why is ice cream making me lose weight?

Options
I eat a lot of ice cream, sometimes I'll eat a whole 1200 calories pint of ben n jerrys, always every night I eat ice cream before bed I always wake up the next morning 2-3 pounds less than if I had eaten something else like a TV dinner or something. I don't understand why but I'm not complaining either. I talk to my mom about it and she doesn't understand it either. It's like it doesn't even register in my body, I always lose more weight if I eat ice cream at night over anything else, I just don't understand... but like I said, I'm not complaining, I love ice cream

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    TV dinners have a lot of salt, ice cream does not. You may be experiencing a lack of water weight, due to the lower sodium compared to when you have a TV dinner.

That's what I figured, and also the texture of ice cream is a lot less weight than something heavy like a steak or a burger, my mom also said I could be developing diabetes lol.

No. That's not how diabetes works.

But moms can say crazy things like that. I was an underweight teen and would do things like get into the powdered sugar and she'd yell at me that I must be getting diabetes because I was craving sugar. That's not how it works. She knew that and still tried to mess with me.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    A yearly doctors checkup is fully covered by health insurance. Worth an appointment if you are losing a lot of weight for no reason.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of ice cream, sometimes I'll eat a whole 1200 calories pint of ben n jerrys, always every night I eat ice cream before bed I always wake up the next morning 2-3 pounds less than if I had eaten something else like a TV dinner or something. I don't understand why but I'm not complaining either. I talk to my mom about it and she doesn't understand it either. It's like it doesn't even register in my body, I always lose more weight if I eat ice cream at night over anything else, I just don't understand... but like I said, I'm not complaining, I love ice cream

It's not making you lose weight. Being in a calorie deficit is. Or like you said you're eating ice cream which doesn't have as much sodium as most TV Dinners.

If you're not sure you could always go to the doctor to make sure you don't have an underlying medical condition.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

i think you should ask your 37 year old son what he thinks too?

D'oh!

In the spirit of this thread, I'll just say that Ben & Jerry's Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Core is the BEST ice cream ever, but I don't think I've ever lost weight eating a pint of it in one sitting (known to happen...)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

D'oh!

In the spirit of this thread, I'll just say that Ben & Jerry's Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Core is the BEST ice cream ever, but I don't think I've very lost weight eating a pint of it in one sitting (known to happen...)

peanut butter cup for me, all day long....
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Cafe latte for me!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

:D
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Losing weight without explanation IS a potential symptom of diabetes. When your body stops producing sufficient insulin, you can't properly utilize the calories from your food and your body turns to it's fat stores for energy. My husband was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes a few years ago after he unexpectedly lost 20 pounds without changing his diet. Not saying that is what is going on with you, but if you suspect something is wrong, go get checked out.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Clearly, you need to start marketing this amazing new weight loss plan. It has success written all over it.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

If you look back over your weight trends for the last 30 days, is your weight today the same as or less than your starting weight? If so you're eating no more than your maintenance calories, and the fluctuations are water. If it's more, then you are eating more calories than your maintenance and the fluctuations are masking the incremental weight gain. That simple.

eta: because grammer
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is also pretty low-volume. You would likely have less food weight processing through your system if you ate 1200 calories of ice cream vs. 1200 calories of other foods.