Pickling juice > calorie calculating

Options
So i like to make pickled things. When i create the recipe i name all things (offcourse) in the recipe includingthe pickling juice. But I only eat the vegetables and the pickling juice is left over. How do i create a realistic recipe in regards to the calories?

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Well, I would disregard the pickle juices myself. When I buy a jar of dill pickles, I eat the pickle only. I'm sure the raw cucumber has absorbed some of the juices, but the calories from vinegar and dill can't be all that significant. Unless you're drinking the pickling juices, I wouldn't concern myself with being all that caught up in accounting for every tiny detail.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Aren't pickled veggies generally really low calories anyhow? I'm guessing any difference would be negligible, and in the direction of overestimating instead of underestimating. Since it's so easy to underestimate so many foods, I'd think it would more than come out in the wash.
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response.
    Oke, so I'll just calcute only the vegetables.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've picked something only once, but it involved masses of sugar as well. If it's mainly vinegar, water and some herbs then I might probably disregard it. If it involves something containing more calories... not sure.
  • ravenzwart
    ravenzwart Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It does contain sugar and salt. Its not only vinegar and herbs. I don't want eat only pickles from the store, i like a bit onion or something in my salad. It gives an extra flavor / bite. But i haven't found the right way of logging yet. Now i only log the vegetable but it feels like cheating.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    You're generally OK to just count the veggies but you might want to add 10% or something if you regularly make sweet pickles (or otherwise add sugar to your pickling brine.