Successful dieting and hating vegetables?

First time poster, long time member.

I HATE vegetables. Really hate. The taste and texture of most of them. I can cope with most raw salad bits, except onion and peppers.

I dislike a lot of fruit too, even dried.

I've tried most basic ones several times over my adult life to try and get over it but I just can't. Because of this my evening meals and snacks are very meat and carb heavy. I'm really trying to lose weight but I'm on a beige diet. I don't want to force myself to eat things I dislike because then I won't stick to the diet!

I do have a blender and when I make Bolognese I can blend onions and mushrooms before adding but I can't do that with a stir fry!

If anyone has any diet tips for a very fussy eater then I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    check out the cookbook, Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. Her books discuss the fact that her family hated veggies too and so she started to add them to everyday meals in a way that they didn't even notice they were there.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2017
    Eating vegetables is not a requirement for weight loss-no specific food/food group is. Back during my weight loss phase I didn't eat veggies, besides corn on the cob (and technically that's a grain). Now a few years into this process I've really expanded my food horizons and eat quite a few veg/fruit a day, but it's been something that I've been working towards for over 4 years. Veggies are great for nutrients, but don't try and force yourself-take it slow and be open to trying new things as you go along :)
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Eat what you want in your deficit and you will lose weight. Do you like smoothies? You can add fruit and veg with yogurt and chocolate milk to cover up the taste.
    For stir fry you could blend those with the soy and make a sauce for the vegetable and meat you do like.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    how about soups? https://www.budgetbytes.com/category/recipes/soup/ my favorites are the garden vegetable quinoa, the garden vegetable lasagna, and the chunky vegetable and lentil soup. and I'm going to try the sweet potato tortilla soup next weekend.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Keep trying veggies different ways - roasted, grilled, raw, steamed. Start with fresh, start with frozen. Add seasonings and sauces. The textures of the same vegetables will vary depending upon whether you under cook or overcook. The texture of frozen will change some veggies too, and many of those are not is a good way. But you may welcome the change.

You don't have to eat veggies. You can eat small portions of calorie dense foods forever. Veggies can help "volumize" dishes because many are not calorie dense. You just have to choose.....leave empty space on your plate, or learn to like a few veggies.

Onions and peppers have a pretty strong flavor. I would start with something more mild like green beans or cauliflower.
  • kezziebeat
    kezziebeat Posts: 2 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Keep trying veggies different ways - roasted, grilled, raw, steamed. Start with fresh, start with frozen. Add seasonings and sauces. The textures of the same vegetables will vary depending upon whether you under cook or overcook. The texture of frozen will change some veggies too, and many of those are not is a good way. But you may welcome the change.

You don't have to eat veggies. You can eat small portions of calorie dense foods forever. Veggies can help "volumize" dishes because many are not calorie dense. You just have to choose.....leave empty space on your plate, or learn to like a few veggies.

Onions and peppers have a pretty strong flavor. I would start with something more mild like green beans or cauliflower.

Unfortunately that's two I dislike the most!

I eat most types of lettuce/spinach etc
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Beetroot
    Raw carrot
    And that's really about it!

I'm a runner so I need to feel full, empty space just doesn't do it.

I like the idea of soup and smoothies but it makes me feel like I'm full of liquid!

I think I'm just gonna have to learn to like them!

Thank you for the advice everyone
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    kezziebeat wrote: »

Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Beetroot
    Raw carrot

I like the idea of soup and smoothies but it makes me feel like I'm full of liquid!

That's actually quite a few already. You've got a good start. Try parsnips - they are from the carrot family.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    kezziebeat wrote: »

Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Beetroot
    Raw carrot

check out the link I sent you. those soups are very hearty, not liquidy.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Are we supposed to put out food choices here that you can pick from?

You should be grown, so try different things
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    I think you should experiment with different ways to cook veggies. I find steamed or boiled to death veggies bland and tasteless. Roasting or pan searing with olive oil and some seasonings makes them interesting both in taste and texture.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    Maybe you're like me, don't want to something you feel that you have to? What if I told you that you don't have to eat fruit or vegetables to lose weight? All you have to do, is to eat less - fewer calories?

This^

You might try some new fruits and veggies and different ways of preparing them. But if you don't like them then you do not have to eat them.
  • hannamarie0098
    hannamarie0098 Posts: 85 Member
    It takes several tries to learn to like something so persevere! If you want to eat them because they're good for you then suck it up and eat them! If you don't want to, don't, completely up to you. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    I still can't do peppers or mushrooms but I eat a lot more veg now than I used to. I find I prefer most of them steamed, and don't like them overcooked...
    Some like courgette I don't like roasted chunks of, but shopped small in a sauce (like bolognese) is fine- I also grate carrot and chop celery into Bolognese, neither which I like raw.

As people have said, trying different methods and with different accompaniments is the only way you will find what you like!