All Inclusive Resorts

Options
I know this is completely first world problems but...I am going to the Dominican Republic for 8 days, and I'm staying at an all inclusive resort. All inclusive means all the drinks and all the food. While I'm planning to stay at maintenance, I know it is a slippery slope from maintenance to "well hey there weight gain."

I am planning on exercising daily (this resort does host aquabike and Zumba classes) and drinking a bottle of water between drinks (also trying to stay away from the super sweet super calorie heavy cocktails), and trying to slow how fast I eat so I can feel fuller longer, but some suggestions on making better food choices? There is an Italian, steakhouse, sushi/seafood, snack bar, buffet, middle eastern restaurants, as well as all the bars.

Thanks!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Drink lots of water, keep working out, and watch portion sizes. But seriously, it's a vacation. I'd not worry about it too much and just enjoy. It's only a few days - you can buckle down when you get back. :)

Edited to add that I'm going on a cruise in a few months, and the water/working out/portion control is my strategy... and the not worrying about it too much. :flowerforyou:
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Its vacation enjoy, But it is kind of a long one.

Id go one day enjoying within reason 1 day trying to cut back a bit but still eating yummy, repeat for 4 cycles. Just to keep myself in check. I tend to have an all or nothing mindset, So if i went crazy id go crazy. Especially with all inclusive lol. And by a few days in id be feeling like crap and eating even more to try and make it beter (illogical but its how my brain works)

Id try to limit drinking, It leads to bad choices one night and hangover bad choices the next. Maybe 1-2 drinking days and stick to a few tops.

Aim to eat what i wanted, But stock pile healthy options so i fill up mostly on good for me foods that wont kill my energy/diet entirely.

Id personally have to avoid the buffet, Their my absolute weakness id have to eat 2 of everything LOL

And of course keep active to minimize any damage and keep myself feeling fit and happy

Thats just me though as i said im an all or nothing kinda girl, I know this about myself the precautions would be necessary for me. Its vacation, Enjoy! Aslong as its not a vacation that happens often
  • shnookie70
    shnookie70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You will feel better if you don't get all full and bloated. Just remember portions and moderation and you will be fine. Expect to gain a few pounds in water retention and maybe a couple from the awesome offerings, but just have fun. You will be active I'm sure and part of vacation is indulging at bit. Just get back to your regular habits when you return!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Portion control is your friend, but your friend might not be welcome at an all inclusive.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation!

Just be aware of your body and avoid the temptation to stuff yourself until you feel sick. That's actually a nice thing about all-inclusives, you know that food is always available whenever you like, so there's less of an mental urge to binge or finish everything on your plate (for me anyway).

Try to get some fruit and veggies into each meal to keep your stomach happy during the trip, otherwise just enjoy!

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    anyone I know that has gone to the Dominican has as much going out as going in (sorry TMI) so you may not be eating/drinking as much as you think!!

Incorrect...you must have stayed at a questionable establishment.

never been myself and have no interest in going there - as I said in my post - everyone that I know that has gone has got incredibly sick.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm eating less and moving more so that I can go on my 8 day All Inclusive Vacation in November and not feel like a beached whale. I plan to enjoy every drink and all the food for that week and come back and start maintaining. I'm only 4lbs off goal currently and I have 2 months left. I may decide at goal that I can go lower and try for more, then if I gain it's no big deal.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I just returned from vacation in Paris and I ate all of the croissants I wanted, but we also walked 15K-22K steps per day...

The way I see it is this--it's one week out of your life. If you want to eat/try new cuisines, go ahead. Don't overeat and make yourself sick or anything, but don't deprive yourself of any desired experiences either. The important thing is that when you are back to reality after your vacation you don't keep eating like you are on vacation.

Have fun!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    it's one week out of your life. If you want to eat/try new cuisines, go ahead. Don't overeat and make yourself sick [...] but don't deprive yourself of any desired experiences either. The important thing is that when you are back to reality after your vacation you don't keep eating like you are on vacation.
    Have fun!

The difference is between eating and drinking to have fun and enjoy vs eating and drinking to "get your money's worth".

The first may result in a small weight gain of manageable proportions. The second is what can lead to serious weight gain.
  • ArticaGPB
    ArticaGPB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Enjoy and that's it, you have the rest of your life to be balanced and sensible, holidays are to have fun and some excess
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    it's one week out of your life. If you want to eat/try new cuisines, go ahead. Don't overeat and make yourself sick [...] but don't deprive yourself of any desired experiences either. The important thing is that when you are back to reality after your vacation you don't keep eating like you are on vacation.
    Have fun!

The difference is between eating and drinking to have fun and enjoy vs eating and drinking to "get your money's worth".

The first may result in a small weight gain of manageable proportions. The second is what can lead to serious weight gain.

I'm not sure how my post was espousing "getting (her) money's worth"? My point was to live a little--within reason--that's usually why we take vacations!

It's very seldom that food that is available as "all you can eat" are actually worth eating...
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Have fun!

I'm not sure how my post was espousing "getting (her) money's worth"? My point was to live a little--within reason--that's usually why we take vacations!

It's very seldom that food that is available as "all you can eat" are actually worth eating...

He wasnt really attacking your post by quoting, Just adding to it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    He wasn't really attacking your post by quoting, Just adding to it.

+1
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oh WOW! We've been to Mexico and had opportunities for 'all inclusives'. They are very pricey, which is why we didn't choose that option. Nonetheless, I would have been so tempted to try to eat and drink everything offered, simply because it was paid for and I could. I agree with the others to enjoy yourself, but try to exercise as much as you can. Enjoy!
  • macclone
    macclone Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    anyone I know that has gone to the Dominican has as much going out as going in (sorry TMI) so you may not be eating/drinking as much as you think!!

But you can only do the in and out a couple times a day. Speaking for my self of course.