Intermittent Fasting

Options
RandJ6280
RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
My first day at Intermittent Fasting (I/F). I am going to try I/F once a week for a month and see how I feel. I do have (as some advice was given) some almonds and a piece of fruit just in case.

I welcome any input, guidance, advice or just good ol' conversation on this topic, as I am a novice at I/F

Replies

• DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
  • RandJ6280
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is just not eating all the time, and doing so in a specific way - 16:8, 18:6, 20:4, 5:2, 4:3, or a 36 hour fast. Maybe there are more protocols, I don't rememeber, and they pop up all the time.

A good meal structure - which is something very personal and individual - can be outside or inside any "protocols" and "windows", helps many people stick to an appropriate amount of calories.

You wont't lose any faster, or get any health benefits outside placebo, by IF'ing.

Weight management is down to calories in - calories out. If your goal is weightloss, make sure you don't undereat and then make up for it with overeating.

I'm sorry.... I don't know what this means.... 16:8, 18:6, 20:4, 5:2, 4:3...
  • RandJ6280
    Options
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of IF 16/8 . I challenged myself to a week only 3 more days to go!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting is just not eating all the time, and doing so in a specific way - 16:8, 18:6, 20:4, 5:2, 4:3, or a 36 hour fast. Maybe there are more protocols, I don't rememeber, and they pop up all the time.

A good meal structure - which is something very personal and individual - can be outside or inside any "protocols" and "windows", helps many people stick to an appropriate amount of calories.

You wont't lose any faster, or get any health benefits outside placebo, by IF'ing.

Weight management is down to calories in - calories out. If your goal is weightloss, make sure you don't undereat and then make up for it with overeating.

I'm sorry.... I don't know what this means.... 16:8, 18:6, 20:4, 5:2, 4:3...

16:8 is fast for 16 hours, eat for 8 hours, 18:6 is fast for 18 hours, eat for 6 hours, 20:4 is fast for 20 hours, eat for 4 hours, 5:2 is eat normally for 5 days a week, eat 500/600 calories twice a week, 4:3 is eat normally for 4 days a week, eat 500/600 calories for 3 days a week.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You're welcome @RandJ6280! Make sure you read the FAQ on the page then if you have more questions - post away!
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Here we go!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    So units of measurement have different types, are created differently and aren't equal - oh dear!

Maybe when the width of a building project manager's thumb was the unit of measurement......

• RandJ6280
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    I'm on day 4 of IF 16/8 . I challenged myself to a week only 3 more days to go!

Congrats.... so you are doing 16:8 for a week? How are you feeling? Both the pros and the cons of this challenge.
  • cheryljanine
    cheryljanine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just started the 16:8 over the weekend. I was worried about skipping breakfast and starting my eating day at 11:00. I didn't feel hungry at all. I have no idea why, I wake up every morning thinking about what I will eat first thing. I had read that women may not lose a lot of weight but their measurements may change. That is what I hope for. So far so good, on day 4 and still feeling good. I have to stop eating at 6:30 and that has not been a problem.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't know if intermittent fasting has any additional or special benefits, but at least for me the rigor and strictness help keep my mind in the right place and focusing on what I eat, how much I eat, and when I eat.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I really recommend talking to your doctor about your weight loss plan if you haven't already. You probably already know this but fasting can be dangerous at worst, ineffective long term at best. Even if you can do it safely, at what cost? You'd be much happier and healthier filling up on vegetables, protein, and getting a moderate work out in to cut down on calories every day instead of drastically depriving your body one day a week. You absolutely don't have to go without eating to lose weight and in my opinion, doing so is setting yourself up for failure later when your body gets overwhelmed by fatigue and hunger.

- 52lbs over a year eating 3 square meals a day
    You gotta nourish to flourish friend! Good luck and listen to your body. What works for everyone is different.

IF is fasting for like 16-20 hrs a day, and eating a normal amount of calories, just in a shorter period of time each day. While it's not the best plan for everyone, it's certainly not dangerous.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just started the 16:8 over the weekend. I was worried about skipping breakfast and starting my eating day at 11:00.
    Why were you worried about eating breakfast at 1100?
    I didn't feel hungry at all. I have no idea why, I wake up every morning thinking about what I will eat first thing.
    I too feel great not eating breakfast first thing, I'm certainly not more hungry. I too look forward to what I'm going to eat, it's one of the first things I think about when I wake up.
    I had read that women may not lose a lot of weight but their measurements may change.
    Can you explain this? How could meal schedule do anything about your body shape?
    So far so good, on day 4 and still feeling good.
    The meal plan you choose should make you feel good.
    I have to stop eating at 6:30 and that has not been a problem.
    You don't have to do anything, except eat less if you want to lose weight.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I really recommend talking to your doctor about your weight loss plan if you haven't already. You probably already know this but fasting can be dangerous at worst, ineffective long term at best. Even if you can do it safely, at what cost? You'd be much happier and healthier filling up on vegetables, protein, and getting a moderate work out in to cut down on calories every day instead of drastically depriving your body one day a week. You absolutely don't have to go without eating to lose weight and in my opinion, doing so is setting yourself up for failure later when your body gets overwhelmed by fatigue and hunger.

- 52lbs over a year eating 3 square meals a day
    You gotta nourish to flourish friend! Good luck and listen to your body. What works for everyone is different.

I've been eating this way for years now, and I love it, my health and labs are great and I stopped going over calories by forcing myself to eat when I didn't want to only to get snacky at night and overeat then. I fast ever single day for 12-18 hours( I will occasionally have breakfast on weekends if I feel like it), a lot of it I am asleep for, They are now doing studies on IF and positive effects on brain and body functions. So while this is not the only healthy way to eat it is definitely one of them, so please stop spreading misinformation, different strokes for different folks, not wrong just different. Also you're not starving yourself because you are getting the same amount of calories AND nutrients either way, and I am just not hungry during the day.