Which Calorie to Count and Which Not to?

Options
Is there a point that you don't count a certain calorie such as those from spices? I use Paprika, Cumin, Cayenne and Turmeric as part of my breakfast almost every morning. For the alleged reason that they may or may not speed up metabolism and encourage fat burning. The amounts I use, teaspoon of each, some barely equal 7 supposed calories. Is there a point to add those calories to my entire meal? Does anyone else keep track of the calories in spices in their meals as well, or is it going overboard in counting?

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do not track spices, among other things. It just seems like more a bother to me.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I use nowhere near the amount you are using. 4 teaspoons of spices at breakfast? I'd count that. But I'd never do that.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    ^ Ditto
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I dont track spices, if it gets to the point that im not losing anymore and I've tightened everything else up I would probably do a 100 quick add to account for all spices
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Teaspoon is a bit excessive, but one of the spices I use, I can't remember off the top of my head, said the serving size, after scanning it, said the serving size was a tablespoon. Good Lord. I honestly can cut it down to half a teaspoon since the amounts I use make more of a paste until I throw some water in to get it all to mix in properly.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I hve never tracked spices, but I have never used them for speeding up metabolism, because they don't do that. It sounds expensive and painful.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    I don't usually log spices unless I enter them as a part of a recipe. A teaspoon each seems excessive to me and if they are each 7 calories then I probably would enter that. If you like your breakfast that spicy by all means add that much spice. But if you are just doing it to speed up your metabolism and burn excess fat then I wouldn't bother. There are no magic spices that will aid in weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    lol at spices speeding up metabolism. No.

I don't log a lot of stuff, or I just log 100g of it regardless of how much of it I ate...lettuce, celery, salsa. I don't log mustard, even though it has calories. I don't log spices.
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    So only 1 yes on counting spices and it's barely a yes. More of a kind of.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    If you're having a tsp each of 4 spices, each of which have 7 cals, then that's 28 cals. You should count that. Most of us are using a dash of spice here or there, which adds up to nothing much. That's why we're not counting it. But you should.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Are you losing weight as expected (if you set mfp to lose 1 lb a week for instance, is that your rate of loss)? If so, don't count them. If not, count them as part of the process of tightening up on your logging.

eta: fix parenthesis
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't count spices or black coffee. Life is too damn short.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I don't count spices. I don't have the patience.......if you are losing at your current numbers then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I don't usually count spices, but I would if I was regularly eating them in the quantities that you do.

• TayAmazingness
    TayAmazingness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If I know that the calories are low enough to not make a difference, I don't bother adding them since it can be tedious.

Things I don't track:
    • Spices, salt and pepper
    • Mustard
    • Garlic
    • Hot sauce
    • Unsweetened tea & black coffee
    • Small amounts of low-calorie vegetables, such as onion, spinach, lettuce, or a slice of tomato on a sandwich. Sometimes I add these in, but if I'm in a rush I tend to leave them out.

Things I always track: (Small amounts can add up quick!)
    • Any oil
    • Butter
    • Nuts
    • Honey, sugar, maple syrup & other sweeteners
    • Peanut butter
    • Any sauce or paste, such as ranch, bbq, & pesto
    • Jelly's and jams

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Sorry if the list is a little excessive!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    I count them, partly because I want to track that I ate them, not because they're high calorie.

BTW, it's not at all unusual for me to use a full teaspoon of turmeric, cumin, mild paprika, mild chili powder or cinnamon in a single serving. They taste good. A full teaspoon of cayenne? Not so much; more heat than I like, so I'd stop at 1/8 tsp of that, tops. But if you like a whole teaspoon, go for it.

IMO, people thinking it's excessive to eat more than a sprinkle are just wrong. They can do what they like, though, since it's a matter of taste preference.

I agree that these spices don't boost metabolism in any meaningful way, though some of them are biologically active in various ways. Tasty, though!