high protein snack ideas?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
I find I can't cart more than one meal around with me during the day. It becomes too much tupperware and stuff in my bag and it's exhausting to prepare for me. Not everyone I know, but the pitfall is that I stop pre-making meals altogether because it's "too much." I'm in school, and anxiety/exhaustion makes a lot of stuff slide - like laundry, cleaning, showering, and meal prep. I need to spend long days out of the house, so fast food options like starbucks and tim hortons ended up being too easy. (I also no longer have the finances to spend on that, so choosing "healthier" options there isn't useful either, though I know they do exist)

I'm prone to bad headaches when I don't eat enough protein (seriously, increasing protein was on my doctor's list of migraine prevention tips). But I find it difficult to wrap my head around how to do this. I had gone to a nutritionist for a while a few years ago, but the only things I left with was her saying not to eat less than 1600cal/day, eat more veggies, try "light" cheese, and eat greek yogurt, and avoid eggs bc cholesterol. It was more bewildering than anything, I think I'm just a little dumb. I did find the greek yogurt was a good idea and I've incorporated that, but everything else just confused me.

So if anyone's had experience with needing to carry small volume food around with enough protein (to avoid feeling sick or whatever other reason you might have) it would be really helpful!

The only things I can think of that would be useful are: hard boiled eggs, lil baggies of peanuts, and maybe protein bars. But idk what to get with protein bars because a lot of them seem to have maltitol and that has some unpleasant side effects, personally.

Replies

• susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in this! I always carry small packs of milk, you can quickly drink that anywhere and it's protein! However, probably won't leave you full for long...
  • TayAmazingness
    TayAmazingness Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Since carrying around Tupperware is an issue, (I used to carry mine to work and I know it's a pain!) I'd recommend getting a small lunch box. I just bought one last week and it's changed my life. :D This way you're also able to bring silverware, napkins, or whatever else you may need.

Here's some ideas for snacks:
    • I can see that you're already eating Greek yogurt but it's personally my favorite, so I have to add it to this list! I usually have plain yogurt with honey and sliced almonds.
    • Parfaits with nuts and fruit.
    • Cottage cheese. I've seen that Breakstone sells cups similar to fruit on the bottom yogurt. Those would be good for convenience.
    • Nut and seed trail mixes
    • Boiled egg, avocado and tomato salad
    • Black bean dip and chips
    • Tuna salad and crackers
    • Bean, chicken and cheese quesadilla traingles
    • Low sodium jerky
    • Deli rollups, such as sliced turkey, cheese and lettuce.
    • Roasted chickpeas or edamame
    • Protein bites (Using oats and protein powder)

A lot of these foods can be bought premade for convenience, but it's very cost effective to make them yourself. Let me know if this helps!
  • ChelaRocks
    ChelaRocks Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Starkist has one serving packets of tuna and salmon called Tuna Creations or Salmon Creations. They come in a variety of flavors, don't take up much space and can be eaten straight out of the pouch or with crackers. There is another brand that also comes with a spoon.
    Little baggies of roasted almond or other nuts provide a lot of protein.
    Peanut butter and cracker snack packs although some of these tend to be high in sodium and chemicals.

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, almonds, I've recently become addicted to Baby Bells, those small, red, round cheeses. They have a good amount of protein for how small they are. Hard boiled eggs. Protein bars. I like Zone Perfect. Hillshire Farm and a few other brands sell protein packs consisting of nuts, cheese and diced meat.
  • Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Sharon has hit the nail on the head. Excellent choices
  • bazookajoe123
    bazookajoe123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite high protein meals is 1 can tuna w a spoon full of mayo and half cup of cottage cheese. I just mix it all together and it fits in one small container. It also has almost 40 grams of protein. But more importantly it has 3.5 grams of leucine. Which is the most important amino acid for protein synthesis. This is an awesome meal or snack that gives you a good balance of protein, carbs and fat. Hope this helps. Also this meal cost about $1.80 to make!
  • kiela64
    Options
    Thank you! Unfortunately I really, really hate baby bells or they would be absolutely perfect! I'm wary about taking meat because of the lack of refrigeration, but yes I think I do need a small lunchbag thank you for the reminder.
  • joanydarr
    joanydarr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look into the meal prep lunch boxes (they come with several smaller containers, are insulated, and can house many snacks/mini-meals). Cottage cheese is a great choice. Oh Yeah! One protein bars are AMAZING. Quinoa salads are a great addition to the rotation of meals. Greek yogurt with PB2 and a fruit (grapes, strawberries, etc) is a delicious way to get the protein and carbs needed. White cheddar Rice cake, hummus, meat (turkey deli meat), and cheese is another great snack idea. Or Caramel rice cake with peanut butter. Apples and peanut butter (or cheese). Any kind of jerky or turkey meat sticks (low sodium versions like slim Jim's, but are a healthier option). Sandwich wraps are a good option too and tend to travel well. String cheese and a nut of choice is a solid option. Quesadillas with a black bean dip or a hummus dip. Lots of options.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    A baby bell hater? My heart just stopped.
  • kiela64
    Options
    A baby bell hater? My heart just stopped.

Haha, yeah I got overdone on them as a kid and the taste just permanently reminds me of middle school. Which is not a pleasant memory XD
  • kiela64
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I've honestly never tried jerky, so I'll have to look into it.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    ah jerky is the best. Just pay attention to the ingredients and nutritional info. Some brands load them up with sugar, which defeats the purpose.
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein Chips 2 to 3 g of carbs, 21-23 g of protein depending on flavor. I order them on Jet.com
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. I add some seeds and nuts in mine everyday for added protein.
  • Brithicks
    Brithicks Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I bring food with me all day everyday. Rx bars (I love the sea salt chocolate and the blueberry), individual packs of hummus with some veggies, tuna (I like mine with just some hot sauce and maybe a hard boiled egg), nuts, individual cottage cheese (I eat this or yogurt first due to lack of good refrigeration - I have an ice pack in my lunch box), individual almond butter packs, grain free granola, cheese sticks, jerky... If I think of more Ill add them.
  • bmclogins
    bmclogins Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like the Vega protein powders and snack bars. Sometimes just mix a scoop of the Vega chocolate smoothie powder with cold water and get a 15g hit of protein from that for 90cals. It keeps those hungry headaches away.
  • kiela64
    Options
    bmclogins wrote: »
    I like the Vega protein powders and snack bars. Sometimes just mix a scoop of the Vega chocolate smoothie powder with cold water and get a 15g hit of protein from that for 90cals. It keeps those hungry headaches away.

Ah, I wish that worked for me. I genuinely tried Vega but even 1 tablespoon in a smoothie of a ton of fruit was undrinkable to me. It made me gag :( My dad took it to work though and uses it if he needs to stay late, so at least it didn't go to waste. I was so disappointed.
  • yogaski83
    yogaski83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love Turkey Jerky - but watch out for additives/hormones/etc. I'm obsessed with Nick's Sticks brand.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I just ate my first one of these, Epic Sriracha Chicken bar

https://epicbar.com/bar-detail/9

it was REALLY REALLY good.

100 cal, 15g protein, 4g fat, 1g carb

I'll be seeking them out in more flavors.