Best thing to do to start???

Options
Any advice on a good way to get started? A certain plan or motivation that worked for you?

Replies

• Bananocado
    Bananocado Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Get a bunch of things you like to eat pre-loaded in the app. Makes it easier to log your meals and snacks when you're on the go.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I try to plan my meals for the day first thing in the morning. I always start with my protein and veg before anything else. Every 10 days or so I give in to what ever I have been craving. Normally my body then processed to give me what feels like food poisoning from eating greasy or carb load foods and that turns me off the not good for you for. Don't always give in to your cravings but every once in awhile it is okay to have that slice of pizza. I have done so many diets for many years. My doctor had me try a new one that I know I have done before but I didn't let myself eat more than 1200 calories normally a week in and I quite. This time I am 2 weeks in and not constantly hungry. I normally do 1200 to 1300 calories but I don't eat a lot of starch and when I do they are high fiber. I love my starchy carbs. I either don't eat them or I will eat half my calories in those pastas, breads, rice and potatoes. We all know you can eat a lot food if you don't eat them. Everyone is different find what works for you and your lift style. I think I finally found mine.

Good luck!
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Know that this is going to be a process you will not lose 10lbs in week that is not how this works 1-2lbs a week is great.
  • Winner5555555
    Winner5555555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Starting aswell
  • dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    If possible download the app, he scanning ability makes it so much easier to add food to you day. Also it helps to have the nutrition information for restaurants and fast food while out .

Pick 1 or 2 bad habits(ie, French Fries and Soda) and drop those, work on being consistent with those. Some find it intimidating to drop everything at time.

Same with your good habits, figure out whats most important to you (ie tracking food and working out) .. take time and focus on those things

It takes 30 days to form a habit. Take those days and really focus on creating a habit.

• Winner5555555
    Winner5555555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Great advice dani
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Lots of great advice here. From a fitness standpoint, don't underestimate strength training (whether with weights or without... but with weights is much better for me). A lot of folks hit the cardio hard (or they used to) and I will certainly go on a run or a hike or something cardio-based 1-2 times per week, but I've seen the best results (weight loss, muscle gain, muscle definition, just looking better and feeling better about my appearance, functional strength, feeling stronger, etc.) from strength training and the periodic strength-based HIIT routine.
  • mail2dijaw
    mail2dijaw Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    start with a realistic goal which is achievable
  • joagutierrez12
    joagutierrez12 Posts: 5 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    dani_1977 wrote: »
    If possible download the app, he scanning ability makes it so much easier to add food to you day. Also it helps to have the nutrition information for restaurants and fast food while out .

Pick 1 or 2 bad habits(ie, French Fries and Soda) and drop those, work on being consistent with those. Some find it intimidating to drop everything at time.

Same with your good habits, figure out whats most important to you (ie tracking food and working out) .. take time and focus on those things

It takes 30 days to form a habit. Take those days and really focus on creating a habit.

That's how I started off before I did MFP. I gave up sweets and soda first. A month later I excluded red meat and butter. I don't know how much I lost from doing that but it must about 7lbs. It was easier to set small goals.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Open up the app and log your food
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Just whatever you do, do not stop trying and do not stop learning. With enough of those two things, you'll make your goals, no matter how far they might seem.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Pick 1 unhealthy vice you eat everyday and put it off until Friday... That's honestly how I started
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Start with buying a digital food scale, you really do need to know what (how much) you are truly eating. Learn how to use it and for a while, weigh EVERYTHING you eat. After a while you'll stop having to weigh everything and use common sense for ultra low calorie foods (raw spinach has 7 calories per 30g ~ a cup), where being off by a bit isn't a big deal.

Set your goal to maintenance for a month and eat just under there. I see post after post of people "starving" because they set a very aggressive goal and are used to eating a whole lot more. Usually ending in, either listening to people that say they are being too aggressive and need to reduce thier goal, or quite often quitting because it's frustrating being hungry all the time. If you can eat right below maintenance for a month, redo your goal to 1/2lb per week, if you feel full, set to 1lb/week and so forth.

If you find yourself hungry, look at your diary and see if there are any high calorie foods you can swap out for a lower calorie food. That will allow you to eat more in volume and remain at your recommended calories. Side effect: lower calorie/higher volume foods tend to be more nutritious (usually) so you'll end up eating a healthier diet overall.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,071 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    dani_1977 wrote: »

That's how I started off before I did MFP. I gave up sweets and soda first. A month later I excluded red meat and butter. I don't know how much I lost from doing that but it must about 7lbs. It was easier to set small goals.

I eat all of those things and lost 35lbs, you don't need to exclude anything from your diet unless you have a severe problem with eating those things in moderation or unless you have a medical reason for doing so, for example, I still eat bread, but won't keep it in the house because otherwise I would just eat the full loaf as toast in one evening.

You've lost weight because you're in a calorie deficit, not because you cut those things out.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    put your stats in and get your calorie target
    log food you eat and hit calorie target
    be accurate...verify database entries...use a food scale to weigh out portions, etc
    tweak your nutrition as necessary and as you see fit
    don't try to make whole sale changes overnight...recognize that this is a process...use it to learn.

ditto this!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Been an avid user since early 2012, I wish I knew what I've learned since then 15 years ago. Since everyone is different and their bodies respond differently, the default calorie and macro settings don't necessarily work perfectly for everyone. For me, the default carb settings are too high, I do better on a low-carb/high protein. I also think the default calorie deficits can get too aggressive to the point where they negatively effect energy level and athletic performance (even quasi-active tasks, like playing golf or mowing the lawn). Another poster mentioned tdeecalculator.net, which does a pretty decent job as calculators go; it comes close to what I have calculated my TDEE to be using a side spreadsheet. For reference I have a desk job and work out (full body split weightlifting) for at least one hour 3x/week, plus usually one active weekend activity, mowing grass, etc., and that doesn't fully get me up to their "light exercise" category based on my math.

Remember, MFP is a tool, it's only as good as how you use it; don't cheat on logging portions, get a food scale, and accurately track EVERYTHING. Coffee creamer, salad dressings, sauces, "I'll just have a few M&Ms or a fun size Snickers" all count. Those sneaky calories can really add up quickly.

Having the proper mindset is critical to success; sustainability is key. Don't make too many drastic changes that likely won't stick in the long term. Motivation only get's you so far, you need to create positive habits and remove obstacles to make sure you can still achieve your goals when your motivation runs low. For me that was only buying healthier food, plan and log everything in advance as much as possible, lay out my workout clothes and exercise first thing in the morning so I didn't put it off when I would get home from work. I suggest you take a week or two and just log everything to learn where the weak points in your current nutrition is and adjust accordingly. Maybe it's macro imbalance, portion control, or high-risk meals or weekly occasions where you blow your calories. Learn about yourself and what compromises your path to success. Nothing about this process, (getting healthier, fitter, losing weight, etc.) is linear, there are going to be setbacks, off days, poor nutritional decisions. Make sure when they happen, they remain isolated; just because you decided to get a honey bun from the vending machine after lunch that you should just throw in the towel on the day and grab fast food for dinner. Double-down and make sure you don't make two mistakes in-a-row.

• rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I found it most helpful to start by just logging what I am eating in a 'normal' day. About 5-7 days of that helped me build the habit of logging food, gave me a better base understanding of nutrition, an idea how many calories are in certain things, and what I needed to change to see better results. Because we all have different bodies, different lives and different goals.
    For me regularly cutting out sweet tea and corn chips alone created a deficit of pretty close .5lbs a week without having to change much else about my life. I also could see that I had a really low protein intake and started adding more protein to my diet which I really feel like it has helped my workout goals.