Treadmill inconsistency - for people who enjoy running on treadmills

Options
So, I have always loved running on treadmills - ever since I first found that the gym was my lifelong second home, my go-to has always been the treadmill.
Many people love running outdoors and I can't fault their logic - scenery, fresh air..
For me, I love the treadmill!

I'm also a creature of habit, my pace is a consistent 13.1kmph (8mph) - I go to several gyms. The more expensive of the gyms I go to use a different brand to the cheaper of the gyms I go to.
Here is my strange finding, at the more expensive gym that I use - I can't seem to keep going for nearly as long on the treadmill (at the same pace) as I can on the treadmill at the cheaper gym!

Has anybody else found that certain brands of equipment, they just don't feel compatible with?

I'm starting to question if it's the material under the belt that's different - otherwise, I just can't figure out why I would find such a dramatic change in the time I can keep going for! (replicated conditions for several years - this is something that I've noticed over time!).

Replies

• laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have a very cheap treadmill at home that I swear always increases speed at around the 18-20 minute mark even though I don't change the speed at all. I actually hear the speed change in the motor then subsequently notice my need to increase my pace. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the cheaper machines were less accurate.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    jospen83 wrote: »
    I have a very cheap treadmill at home that I swear always increases speed at around the 18-20 minute mark even though I don't change the speed at all. I actually hear the speed change in the motor then subsequently notice my need to increase my pace. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the cheaper machines were less accurate.

Entirely possible but given that both brands (Technogym and Matrix) are pretty expensive new - both have a very large following with various gyms using each, I just find it difficult to believe that either would fall into a category of what might be considered low quality.

It's possible but, I just can't see it.
  • laurabadams
    laurabadams Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Entirely possible but given that both brands (Technogym and Matrix) are pretty expensive new - both have a very large following with various gyms using each, I just find it difficult to believe that either would fall into a category of what might be considered low quality.

Ah, that's very true. I wasn't even thinking about gym-quality equipment, despite you specifying that in your OP, lol.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Could it be you're running differently on them? If one is shorter, wider, bouncier, or differently shaped in the front, you may be stepping in imperceptibly different ways affecting your running economy.
  • ko4q
    ko4q Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think its absolutely possible to be "incompatible" with certain treadmill brands! The gym I go to has 3 different brands of of which is by Woodway. The belt actually looks like a tank tread and is fairly narrow. I cannot run on those at all, ever! The other 2 brands (can't remember what they are) I am totally fine on, the Woodway machines are a no-go for me.

And like you, I love running on treadmills--some people say they are boring, but any piece of equipment where I can do hard intervals at exactly the pace/time I need while watching "Say yes to the dress" or "Below Deck" is totally winning IMHO!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Also, not all treadmills are properly calibrated. I am sure my TM is faster than it says. I can't run my easy pace on it without feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack. I didn't have that problem with my previous one.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Calibration differences probably. Either belt speed or incline.
  • AdamAthletic
    Options
    ko4q wrote: »
    I think its absolutely possible to be "incompatible" with certain treadmill brands! The gym I go to has 3 different brands of of which is by Woodway. The belt actually looks like a tank tread and is fairly narrow. I cannot run on those at all, ever! The other 2 brands (can't remember what they are) I am totally fine on, the Woodway machines are a no-go for me.

And like you, I love running on treadmills--some people say they are boring, but any piece of equipment where I can do hard intervals at exactly the pace/time I need while watching "Say yes to the dress" or "Below Deck" is totally winning IMHO!

Absolutely, I have used sooo many different pieces of equipment and it's interesting to feel how you react to each differently. Even when, in essence - they do the exact same thing!
    Probably not the treadmill. What it might be is ambiet air temperature and humidity. Many nicer gyms have better air circulation than cheap ones. They also tend to have better air conditioning. Warmer, humid and stale air can affect endurance/performance negatively.

This I really think is a good point - although, for me it's the more expensive gym that has the lesser quality of air circulation (irony, right!?!).
    Could it be you're running differently on them? If one is shorter, wider, bouncier, or differently shaped in the front, you may be stepping in imperceptibly different ways affecting your running economy.

Very possibly - the technogym treadmill seems really large and bulky, which I guess might be causing me to alter my stance a little! Good point!
  • AdamAthletic
    Options

Ah, that's very true. I wasn't even thinking about gym-quality equipment, despite you specifying that in your OP, lol.

aha, I don't get home treadmills purely because I practically live at the gym.. It's an unnecessary expense and I'm always dubious of quality!
    I imagine there are some good ones though!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

aha, I don't get home treadmills purely because I practically live at the gym.. It's an unnecessary expense and I'm always dubious of quality!
    I imagine there are some good ones though!

I bought an amazingly good one in spring, from a failed New Year's resolution. $3500 NordicTrack with all the bells and whistles, commercial quality. Bought for $300. Spring as fall are the best times to find amazing deals on barely used equipment (New Year's buys of Christmas money sales of stuff that isn't used).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There can be subtle differences between treadmills, and there can be differences as the treadmills age.

The belt/deck suspension is different between the matrix and the technogym. That can also make a subtle difference. You also have different types of belts and rollers. I have run on technogym and life fitness and there was no difference to me. Thankfully, never had to use matrix. Matrix is a small step down in overall quality from the first two, but I don’t know if that is relevant. Matrix is still a full commercial model and their products are installed in many clubs and gyms.

I’d be curious to know how much of a difference in speed you are experiencing.

There is no manual calibration of treadmills once they are packed—it can be checked and done on the assembly line, but once completed, there is nothing you can ever do to it. An older belt will have more “drag” as the wax on the belt and deck wear away, but the the machine should compensate by working harder to maintain the speed.

Again, these differences are small and often not noticeable, but if you are doing a lot of running, then I imagine they would feel a lot more significant.