What do you do?

Options

Replies

• RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    The more I lose, the more I dress to impress. I would say in a scale of 1 to 10, my vanity level used to be at a 5, now I'm at a good 8 or 9.

I understand. Even last week I was feeling a 3 or 4... just this week... eating better, increasing water... working out.... I'm feeling up to a 7... who knows what next week will hold. I feel better, I'll look better and exude that feeling to others around me. Positive mindset.
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm just a student so I can't really afford new clothes. Luckily, I'm still in charted territory as far as my weight, so I do have some old shorts and t-shirts stowed away that used to be too small that I can wear now. After that though, I'm hoping I can find some stuff back at home to fit me, because I'm actually shocked how miserable I am as far as my closet goes right now. You'd think I'd be a bundle of joy to have this problem, it's actually really frustrating me. I barely wore the size 24 jeans I bought after my 26s got to the point I had to pull them up over my hips every ten steps and I'm just about a 22 now.

My old button-up shirts are a godsend though. Too big now to wear alone, but they look great worn open with a fitted tank underneath and it gives me like 10 additional outfit options.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Wow, how awful of you sitting there judging them.

They can wear what ever they like.

This.

I see people who are confident at the beach/pool at any size and wish I could be. I always cover up unless I'm getting in and out of water. I have low self confidence due to my weight. I still wear the same as I did before starting to lose weight since I've only lost 7 lbs so far and it takes a good 25-30 lbs lost in order to see a noticeable difference in how my clothing fits.
  • cougargirl1025
    cougargirl1025 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    wow.... not what I was expecting when I posted this.

Maybe I am judging them..... but I think there should be a little more pride in their body. This isn't just geared for the overweight, but it's just as bas as some of the "skinny" people out there.... who will wear little to nothing on the beach. I was there with my grandkids, and they don't need to see a woman whose boobs are spilling out of her top and half of her *kitten* cheeks out of here bikini bottoms. I just think there should be a little of class, or dignity in society.

Your post is contradicting itself. You say they "should have pride in their body", but at the same time say they need to cover up. Just because someone is in a bathing suit enjoying themselves at the beach doesn't mean they aren't trying to get healthy. How many times do we tell people who are on their weight loss journey to "just enjoy your vacation and get back on it when you get back"...sheesh.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Interesting post as just this morning I'm wearing a new, more "fitted" outfit to work - not to impress anyone but because I've lost 52 lbs since April and by golly I finally can!
    And my confidence level is 200 times better than it was. :)
    The thing is, if you were to see me now you'd still see a 58 year old woman who needs to lose 75 lbs.
    Some may look at me and think gee, she should take more pride in herself and lose some weight.
    You won't see the person who's struggled to gain control of her life.
    You don't see the sweaty workouts and the healthy meal planning.
    You don't see the person who goes to bed at 9:00 some nights because its sleep or eat.
    EVERYONE has a story.
    If this process has taught me anything, it's taught me that.
  • RandJ6280
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Interesting post as just this morning I'm wearing a new, more "fitted" outfit to work - not to impress anyone but because I've lost 52 lbs since April and by golly I finally can!
    And my confidence level is 200 times better than it was. :)
    The thing is, if you were to see me now you'd still see a 58 year old woman who needs to lose 75 lbs.
    Some may look at me and think gee, she should take more pride in herself and lose some weight.
    You won't see the person who's struggled to gain control of her life.
    You don't see the sweaty workouts and the healthy meal planning.
    You don't see the person who goes to bed at 9:00 some nights because its sleep or eat.
    EVERYONE has a story.
    If this process has taught me anything, it's taught me that.

Good word brother. I think we all need to smile and be nice... for we never know what the other person is going through.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when I was judgemental and negative toward my body I was also being judgemental and negative toward others. When I got to a more positive place mentally with myself I noticed I also didn't think about other people negatively or care so much about what they were wearing.

I try not to wear clothes that are too tight or too loose. I'm not trying to impress anyone. I'm not a fashion plate.
    Clothes that fit make me feel better. Clothes that are too tight, too loose or have holes or stains make me feel like I am not taking care of myself.
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've lost 65 lbs and I'm still wearing the same clothes I've always worn - just cinch the belt tighter. I guess I'm enjoying my clothes being loose for a change. I also don't want to reward myself when I'm not done losing weight. Not that I don't think I've done a good job, I just don't want to let myself get settled in anywhere short of my goal. My birthday is in 3 weeks maybe I'll splurge and shop a little then.
  • bmclogins
    bmclogins Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I went to the lake today and wore my bathing suit and did not cover up or wear shorts, etc. Why? Because I wanted to swim and have fun with my kids. I wasn't jazzed about being in a bathing suit in public, but who says a person has to look a certain way in order to enjoy the beach? That's a very subjective slippery slope. And it's stupid. Yes, stupid. If you're going to let being overweight prevent you from enjoying life then you have bigger problems.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    When I ovulate and the week after, I dress skimpy because I look lean. Every other time I'm all puffed up and try to dress fashionably but I'm more mindful of places to cover.
  • 1FrankieFan
    1FrankieFan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've noticed that I would feel better about myself when I dressed nicer.

Baggy tshirts for the win though, all day, every day.
  • GlitchyPengy
    GlitchyPengy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For one you shouldnt judge people for how people dress cause you are uncomfortable that way. I dress baggy not cause of how I look, but cause its cozy. I already got fat folds i dont need clothes folds digging in too lol i suspect even when I drop to my goal I'll still dress baggy :) Just my style.
  • originalvonster
    originalvonster Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm still wearing my twin mum maternity clothes. I've told myself that I won't buy any new clothes until I lose my 2 stone. I do feel bad in my comfy clothes though.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Whoever said dressed like an unmade bed? You sir are a true wordsmith and just made my whole day! I can't wait for this workday to finish so I can go straight home and dress like an unmade bed myself!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

I don't judge them, but leave that to my wife and her friends who are usually pretty brutal. I agree with you that they can wear what they like, but I do feel sometimes they maybe shouldn't. Then again, I'm an old man in my 40's and I understand that the 'culture' of body imagery has changed a great deal from when I was younger.

Wow. Just wow. :noway:
  • RandJ6280
    Options

I don't judge them, but leave that to my wife and her friends who are usually pretty brutal. I agree with you that they can wear what they like, but I do feel sometimes they maybe shouldn't. Then again, I'm an old man in my 40's and I understand that the 'culture' of body imagery has changed a great deal from when I was younger.

Wow. Just wow. :noway:

I know, right?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have days when I'm not comfortable and feel like a big whale that looks good in nothing. And I have days where I think I'm smoking hot. But I had both these types of days when I was young and at the low end of BMI, when I was 30 lbs overweight and now when I'm near the middle of the BMI scale. My thoughts about the mirror are tied to something other than my weight it seems.

But I usually do think many people at the beach need to cover up a bit more. Again though, this is not always tied to their weight. I just think many people need to wear more.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I have days when I'm not comfortable and feel like a big whale that looks good in nothing. And I have days where I think I'm smoking hot. But I had both these types of days when I was young and at the low end of BMI, when I was 30 lbs overweight and now when I'm near the middle of the BMI scale. My thoughts about the mirror are tied to something other than my weight it seems.

But I usually do think many people at the beach need to cover up a bit more. Again though, this is not always tied to their weight. I just think many people need to wear more.

Are they walking around nude? It's a beach for crying out loud. What exactly should people wear to the beach? :huh:
  • RandJ6280
    Options
    What about a guy about 50 pounds overweight wearing a Speedo?