Binge eating

Options
How do you not beat yourself up? And how do you avoid binge eating? It usually happens when I am tired or my kiddos go down for a nap.... I start and just can't stop

Replies

• drayesmith
    drayesmith Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We've all been there. I try to switch out whatever I'm craving with something healthy. I usually crave salty/crunchy so I'll try popcorn. If I end up binging anyway I go ahead and journal it and make healthy choices the rest of the day.
  • halmej
    halmej Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I used to always give up journaling because I didnt want to record a Binge! But this time I am recording every single thing. Hopefully seeing how many calories I eat in a few minutes of weakness will help me
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I agree with logging. It's important to actually see what you are eating written out. It gives you some sense of control, even if it is just information.
    Also, I highly recommend seeing a counselor. I am a recovered binge eater, and through counseling I was able to figure out why I do it and gain control.
    Since you mentioned you tend to do it when you put the kids off to bed, are you possibly just wiped out and need sustenance? Or comfort? If you don't already, try to snack on nutritionally dense food throughout the day while the kids are up so the hunger doesn't plague you the moment you have time to yourself. Kids sure are tiring!
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For me, it's in realizing the futility of beating myself up. I just don't see the point when all it will make me do is feel worse about myself and become another obstacle between me and what I want. When I am accepting and patient with myself, I find I feel the best about myself and have an easier time accomplishing my goals. So in the moment, I try to realize the only thing that will fix this situation is dusting myself off and getting right back up. It's in making the habit of going there in your head first instead of going to that dark place. The pathways in our brain get more pronounced the more we access certain thoughts, so the more you exercise your "positivity muscle", the easier it is to use it.

Me, I tried that "full permission to eat" thing because it made a fair bit of sense to me. And at least in my case, it seems to have decreased my binging. The problem with that technique though is it's extremely counterproductive at first. You will eat, and you will gain initially, and progress isn't as fast as abstaining. But my attitude about food is way different now. I used to eat like a starving animal in the wild, like somehow if I didn't finish that bag of chips someone would take it from me and I would be deprived. I guess it's made me realize that food isn't going anywhere; I have the choice to enjoy it whenever I want. I don't have to enjoy my favorite foods every day all at once and make myself sick, they're options I always have, so now that I've finally realized that it's much easier to choose them less often.
  • halmej
    halmej Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the feedback and ideas!! I need to remember that the weight didn't accumulate in a week and it definitely won't go away fast either!
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used to have my binge moments but recently I doubled my protein and those "need to eat everything now" feelings went away. It's been about two weeks in and I even got past that time of month (when it's the worst). I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence but I will continue to keep the protein high because it seems to work. Maybe you could try it out?
  • PositiveChange2013
    PositiveChange2013 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've had an issue with binge eating and drinking now for the past two months. I was hoping to be down to 180 by Labor Day weekend. Instead, I'm up to 192. I know what the problem is and the reason why I've been binge eating and drinking. I'm in the process of forming a plan to help with those problems. In the meantime, I view yesterday as a reset day. A day to get back on track and continue on toward my goals.

We all binge eat for a reason. We just need to understand what that reason is and work on a solution. In the meantime, don't punish yourself for binge eating. Absolutely don't figure that since you've ruined your diet for the day, that you may as well continue eating badly since "tomorrow is another day". Look at your binge as just that: a binge. Then work on eating right the rest of the day.