Do you log how much water you are drinking?

Options
Hi everyone, I have been logging my food very diligently and eating within my calorie limits as prescribed by MFP. Best part is I have lost weight which is great. My concern is I dont log my water intake during the day. Is that a problem or should I also log it?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Why would it be important...water doesn't have calories...water has nothing to do with weight loss...drinking enough water to stay hydrated is important for your health. If you're urine is pale yellow to almost clear, you are hydrated...there is no magical amount of water to drink.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    No, I don't bother logging it. I drink 3 32 oz bottles before breakfast before/during my workout. I then drink another 32 oz bottle usually before lunch, more at lunch, more in the afternoon, more with dinner, and yup more after that. I get plenty and it has 0 calories so I don't really see the need to log it. My suggestion if you're coming up short, is to try to always have some water to drink throughout the day with you.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    not necessary to log water.
  • mail2dijaw
    mail2dijaw Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ok. Thanks for sharing your thoughts
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I just make sure my pee is light yellow and clear.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I don't log it either. Everything you eat and drink contributes to your fluid intake. I use my pee colour as my indicator. Generally I naturally am plenty hydrated without having a water bottle glued to me all the time.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The color reflected in my toilet does a fantastic job of logging my fluid intake for me.
  • mail2dijaw
    mail2dijaw Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As I undersand its not necessary to log but its a good habit to keep track on ones hydration level. Thanks again for your replies :smile:
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I do due to medical reasons.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I only log plain water when i start slacking off on drinking it. I get tell tale signs such as water retention in my legs and toileting problems.

Even though i drink way over 3L of black tea, plus the milk i add everyday, if i don't also drink enough plain water i get the above mentioned problems.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I only drink water when I'm at the gym, the rest of the time it's tea, and more tea. Then more tea. Mostly the kind with no caffeine except for in the morning.
    I always finish my 32oz bottle at the gym. With the amount of tea I drink there is no way I'm dehydrated. Addicted, yes. Dehydrated, no.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't lol. If my friend and I are have a friendly who drinks more competition then definitely otherwise not so much because it's 0 calories
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't log water. Just make sure you drink enough to stay hydrated but not so much your urine is completely clear (pale yellow is ideal). But, I don't have a problem with getting in water. If that is a challenge of yours then it makes sense to track.
  • Katherinelittle24
    Katherinelittle24 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think its different for every person. For me personally, I'm beginning to log in my water on MFP every single day because it helps me keep track of my water intake and I try to get as much clear water as I can to help me live a healthy lifestyle. Water can also be an aid for weight loss, in a way because it does suppress hunger pains and appetite, so drinking water before you eat every meal is pretty essential in weight loss to help you feel full longer and not to overeat. So yes, for me, I do track my water intake because it helps me keep myself accountable and if its important to you to know how much water you are drinking a day, than I say go for it :)
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I do it to track my water intake. But, there is no need to.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    mail2dijaw wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I have been logging my food very diligently and eating within my calorie limits as prescribed by MFP. Best part is I have lost weight which is great. My concern is I dont log my water intake during the day. Is that a problem or should I also log it?

Should or should not log water depends on you.

Water is important to me. I try to log all my water because I have marginal high blood pressure and drinking enough water helps to keep it in a normal range. I also find I am not as hungry when I drink more water. However, I don't want to drink too much water, which I was doing for a while -- that can deplete electrolytes.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have never logged water. Doing so or not is up to you. For me, personally, it's not a useful data point.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I do mainly to make sure I'm getting enough water intake. It's not necessary, but a good thing if you're not getting enough.
  • Johncalvinfields
    Johncalvinfields Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The main concern , watch the water you drink. The best is spring water or artesian. Other waters have added chemicals which aren't healthy for the body. Just remember if it's weight loss you wanting , drink plenty. It's a appetite suppressant and also replenishes the water your body needs as it burns off during daily exercise