Whoosh effect

Options
What has yr experience with the whoosh effect been like! I've gone 1 month without losing any weight until after the very end
when I seem to drop 4 pds all at once. This is how it's been for the majority of my weight loss. Any recommendations/input?

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Not sure what recommendations you would like - can you be more specific?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,072 Member
    Options
    Blezzed888 wrote: »
    What has yr experience with the whoosh effect been like!

I lost all my weight without ever experiencing a whoosh.

• Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day (with few exceptions), and only twice have I experienced any kind of "whoosh" where the weight is stagnant for about a week and a half and then just shoots off in a day or two. Mostly it's been very consistent with me. If I stay under target I lose. If I don't, I don't.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I whooshed constantly through my loss id lose 2, Stall, Lose 3 overnight and repeat every 5 pounds lol. I learned to stop panicking XD
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    CindyWard2 wrote: »
    Definitely...everytime I see a new low # on the scale I can count on 3 - 4 days being above that number, sometimes even more and then BAM, another new low #. This happens even if I stay on track calorie wise. I weigh every morning and I have observed this trend throughout my whole weight loss journey.

This is very similar to what I have seen at times. Of course, I also do not eat on a deficit every day, but instead average by week, which probably lends itself to the whoosh effect.

OP: if you are four pounds lighter at the end of the month, does it really matter if you lost them all in a weekend or one a week?
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Yes, this is how my body looses weight. It isn't linear. Nothing to change or do differently other than be consistent.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    CindyWard2 wrote: »
    Definitely...everytime I see a new low # on the scale I can count on 3 - 4 days being above that number, sometimes even more and then BAM, another new low #. This happens even if I stay on track calorie wise. I weigh every morning and I have observed this trend throughout my whole weight loss journey.

That's me too, exactly. I sometimes will even go back up a tiny bit, or drop a tiny bit, then back up. Then a few days later... boom.... another low. and I'm consistent with my calories.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    The biggest contributor to scale fluctuations is water weight. One way to keep the whoosh more consistent is to eat lower carbs then have a carb load day. Your weight swings up after the carb load then the morning of carb day you should be at your lowest weight. I have done this in the past and had very linear weight loss. If I eat normal I can go weeks without a loss then lose several at once.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    It was pretty steady for me from 240 pounds down to about 205. After that it's been flat, whoosh, flat, whoosh, etc. As I get closer to goal (about 180), I anticipate that to continue. Now at 192-195 ... ish, since weight is a range and not a number. Typically I'll sit in a band for about 2-3 weeks before dropping another 3-4 pounds. I also expect that 3-4 pound drop in range to get smaller...

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think a whoosh has happened to me one time in 3 years. I remember being most excited, but alas it has never happened again!
  • Blezzed888
    Blezzed888 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @scarlett_k As far as any recommendations, I guess I'm just concerned that this month I'm not seeing the scale go down like I usually do towards the end of the month.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    As a woman, I have a very regular monthly plateau and woosh. That's about it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part.html

http://www.leangains.com/2010/01/how-to-deal-with-water-retention-part_28.html

Excellent info, and great references. But some how too there if really needed.

Though, if it's dropping sooner or later, just have delayed expectations.

Sounds like the cortisol reason to me.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only suggestion I would have is to eat more fiber to keep yourself regular.