50 plus motivating

Options
SharonSA63
SharonSA63 Posts: 20 Member
I am 54, anyone willing to assist in motivating me, I seem to always start out so fast, doing well then crash..

Replies

• ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You can't give up!! Take it one day at a time.
  • SharonSA63
    Options
    Thanks, right now I am taking it hour by hour... I know this time something within me is different.
  • 1Mrsmcdilbert
    1Mrsmcdilbert Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am just starting back myself. We can do this! It sounds like you have a different mind set this time so you will do great.
  • jasperbrat
    jasperbrat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm now in my 50s and determined to get healthy and feel great. Want to lose 100 pounds over next 18 months. We can do this! Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me- i'm 51 and had that mindset change 18months ago, i've lost 140lb but still have 100 more to go..... good luck on your journey- you can do this !!!!
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    About to be 64 next month. Been on mfp over a year and half. Post exercise and support everyday to my friends. Add me if you like
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    p34y0kyh46bu.jpg

You can ALL do this!!! I was very sedentary for 30 years and joined a gym with my daughter in 2014 when I was 55 years old. I weighed 166 lbs. then and lost over 50 lbs. by 2016. I got interested in powerlifting and now I'm a competitor. I started out with small goals like only losing 25 lbs. I was seeing results fairly quickly and easily so I would tell myself, I'll lose another 5 lbs., etc.

@PowerliftingMom, fantastic results. Congratulations
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Rick_1953 wrote: »
    p34y0kyh46bu.jpg

You can ALL do this!!! I was very sedentary for 30 years and joined a gym with my daughter in 2014 when I was 55 years old. I weighed 166 lbs. then and lost over 50 lbs. by 2016. I got interested in powerlifting and now I'm a competitor. I started out with small goals like only losing 25 lbs. I was seeing results fairly quickly and easily so I would tell myself, I'll lose another 5 lbs., etc.

@PowerliftingMom, fantastic results. Congratulations

Thank you!
  • SharonSA63
    Options
    Thanks all, well I am in my second week.
    I feel I am doing this right, yet keep thinking I might be wrong, hope that makes sense.
    I have never been active, and now doing a few home work outs, and walking to the stores instead of getting in the car, seems to help me.
    I am so ready for this new change.
  • millerjj41
    millerjj41 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got 60 lb to lose myself been laid up 4 months now back on my feet and really want to get healthy I hope this is the right way
  • sfsoccermom2
    sfsoccermom2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 this year and am restarting myself here. Feel free to add me. I need all the help I can get.
  • kieranar
    kieranar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just hit 55 was 180lbs. Just over 6 months later I'm 140lbs , all down to diet and exercise ( cycling mainly ) those hills I used to puff and pant getting up I hardly notice ! , now my biggest problem is keep the weight up at 140lbs
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think starting so fast may be what sets you up to fail. at least that was my issue. I've had the best luck in the past changing one or two habits a week. Yes, trying to stay under a calorie goal, but making it livable and incorporating a number of small changes.. from an extra flight of stairs when possible and keep moving throughout the day, or adding a 2nd vegetable to my meal and eating those first helped me manage smaller portions of carbs. If you want to start working out, start slow so your body isn't in pain for a week. If you can, get movement in every day! And start strength training. There's an awesome thread on the success board about gals who changed their bodies with lifting.

Celebrate the success of making good habits vs the movement of the scale. You'll see your body change.. I promise.

Use the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I'm on the program, 20% is loose.

Obviously this might not work for you, but this approach has worked for me.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Unity63 wrote: »
    Thanks all, well I am in my second week.
    I feel I am doing this right, yet keep thinking I might be wrong, hope that makes sense.
    I have never been active, and now doing a few home work outs, and walking to the stores instead of getting in the car, seems to help me.
    I am so ready for this new change.

That's awesome!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I started this when I was 52 I think. I am now 55 and still at it. I lost 53 pounds and then put 20 back on so I am reducing again. I would do better if I didn't crave beer so much.
  • CharGillott
    CharGillott Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 66 been on here for close to 3 months and have lost 15 pounds still have a ways to go. Good posts
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you want. I'm 59, and 6 weeks +2 days ago I had reality slap me in the face, in the form of open heart surgery for a double bypass. I weighed 283.5 lbs the day after I got home from the hospital. This morning, the scales read 265.0. I logged 7,400 steps today, have made a drastic change in diet and exercise. I used to eat chips by the bag, peanut m&m candy by the pound. My goal is to get below 220. If I can do it, so can you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I started being active around age 47 after breast cancer treatment, but stayed obese until 59-60, when I lost 50+ pounds, to a healthy weight. It was simpler (perhaps not always easier ;) ) plus more rewarding, than I would ever have imagined.

You might find some good stuff in this MFP forum thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10047153/55-65-year-old-womens-success#latest

And this group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group