Going to Olive Garden tonight, need advice quick...

Options
Luv24
Luv24 Posts: 7 Member
...before I have a huge bowl of pasta, which is what I want!

Truthfully, the soup and salad are my usual choice, but I'm really trying to stick to my calorie count. Any suggestions on what or what not to order?

Replies

• shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you are watching sodium. Just one serving of their salad with dressing is pretty much a day's supply. The safest soup is probably the minestrone, but it's high in sodium as well.

One meal isn't going to blow your diet plan. Just count it into your week, and don't make it a regular thing. I'm *still* trying to wean myself off eating out too much. :D
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    The apricot chicken is alright (and the lowest calories for an entree). Not the tastiest thing if you're looking for something savory though. They have something called Seafood Brodetta which is a seafood dish with broth and bruschetta bread.
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Be careful if you are watching sodium. Just one serving of their salad with dressing is pretty much a day's supply. The safest soup is probably the minestrone, but it's high in sodium as well.

One meal isn't going to blow your diet plan. Just count it into your week, and don't make it a regular thing. I'm *still* trying to wean myself off eating out too much. :D

the salad is good but the sodium is crazy!
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I always have the mixed grill!!!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the creamy sauces - like Alfredo. It has, as a rule, quite a bit of calories in it. I bet they have an online menu. If all else fails - go and order what you want, workout before/after, log it and move on. It is only one meal and that won't throw your whole lifestyle off. Life is too short to obsess over one meal. :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would check that website someone else posted about the nutrition facts. But in the end, I would keep in mind that it is OK to go out every now and then and enjoy yourself as long as you don't overdulge all the time. Try not to stress too much over it, because over time stress can be bad on your waistline, too.

Good luck!
  • knowmydestiny
    knowmydestiny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, they have a "lighter fare" menu you can ask for when you get there. i like the mixed grill, but i usually get the lunch size.
  • Lauren38570
    Lauren38570 Posts: 239
    Options
    Honestly your at olive garde, get whatever you want , count calories all the time is for the birds so live a little.When I go I always get the cheese raviloi or the soup and salad and I always get breadsticks to take home , live a little and say screw the calorie count for today , it's worth it =)
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    Honestly your at olive garde, get whatever you want , count calories all the time is for the birds so live a little.When I go I always get the cheese raviloi or the soup and salad and I always get breadsticks to take home , live a little and say screw the calorie count for today , it's worth it =)

Nah. Now if it was some Carrabba's, that would be a different story. "I will have 10 orders of Chicken Bryan please."
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options

I love this =),i know for me id most likely get the mixed grill only because i really enjoy it but hell ya im going to eat a few bread sticks YUM YUM
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My advice? Fake a seizure and eat hospital food instead.

-OR-

Don't worry about the calories too much for just one day. Eat right the rest of the week, don't make a habit of eating out, and when you DO eat out for special occasions... don't sweat it. If you're going to go to Olive Garden, you might as well enjoy it!
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the breadsticks, and bag half your meal BEFORE you start eating it.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I love Olive Garden! When I am being "good," I have 1 bread stick, a small serving a salad (their dressing has TONS of calories), and then I get pasta fagioli which a full serving has fewer calories than both the bread stick and salad! When I'm being not so good, I get chicken/veal parm and split it in half or 3rd before I even take the first bite. For me its always about portion control!!

Have fun tonight and good luck!
  • bellathorne70
    Options
    Look up the calories on something and don't get anything high calorie or any appitaizers cause you are gonna want more. If you have a phone with intrent, look it up while you are ordering or look up what you want on the computer before you go.

9490226.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • oceanrose78
    oceanrose78 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love the seafood brodetto, and have that with a breadstick and salad, dressing on the side. It's really not too bad, better than a lot of places except for sodium, and a nice treat :).
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    It really is easy to eat out in your calorie budget. Minestrone instead of salad (it will be less calories even if you use low-fat dressing), try to limit the breadsticks, and get something from their garden fare menu.
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    i always check the nutrition info on their website and make my choice before i get there. they also have given me nutrition info at the restaurant if i haven't checked it before. they will also substitute whole wheat pasta on anything if you request it.
  • Luv24
    Luv24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys are great! There's a lot to think about, not that I'm obsessing but it's my first week, I'm Italian so pasta is my weakness, and I know how much I can eat! I didn't know until now that OG posts the nutrition info on their site. Some of those numbers are quite scary.
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Absolutely skip the breadsticks and go light on the salad the dressing is high on calories and sodium. I always order the Apricot chicken which I think only has 380 calories. Consistency is key to weight loss, reserve cheat meals for when you've reached your weight loss goal.