help me with the amount of water i drink, pleeeease!

Options
i definitley don't get enough water (umm maybe like a glass a day... :/ ) because everytime i drink a lot of water my stomach looks HUGE and the number on the scale goes up! so i try to avoid it. does this last a long time or does your body get used to it and start to like.. even itself out? i run about 50 minutes every day-every other day so i definitley should be drinking a lot of water but i just hate the way it makes me look/feel so huge..

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Drink water. Your body will get used to having it and you won't look bloated. Plus, don't worry if the scale goes up after drinking water - it is normal to see fluctuations in the scale throughout the day.

I drink 80-100oz of water a day. It is important to help flush your system.
  • Eloveg
    Eloveg Posts: 25
    Options
    Drink water!! It will flush everything out of your body. Cold water burns calories because it has to warm up in your body before it can exit and room tempature water will flow right through you. Good Luck!
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Water is amazing. Drink lots. Like they said, you're body will get used to it. It just takes time. Water is really important for cleaning you out and hydration, especially when you're running like you do. What do you drink besides water?
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live and what kind of water is available... you may want to invest in a filter. If the water tastes better it will be easier also. I have more trouble drinking the water at work than I do at home where we have pretty good well water..

yea, don't worry about the water weight up and down during the day. Or weigh yourself at the same time in your schedule every day. like right out of the shower in the morning or just before you go to bed.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    You must have water. Must. It is the essential ingredient of our bodies, crucial for every function. I drink from 12-20 cups a day and never notice any bloat, although of course the amount of liquid consumed will cause your scale to fluctuate. I just weigh once in the mornings and monitor my body weight that way.
  • Jazzyjules71
    Jazzyjules71 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Definitely drink lots of water, the body holds on to sodium and water when it is deprived of it, so after a short bit of getting rehydrated you should be feeling less bloated. It's the body's defense mechanism, if it's dehydrated it retains water. So lots of water should make you less bloated.

Plus every cell in our body that makes processes happen (metabolism, muscle building, everything!) needs water to run properly. Dehydrated cells don't run efficienty

I have heard from a number of fitness people that to stay adequately hydrated you need 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight, which is 1 ounce for every 2 pounds. So a 200 pound person needs 100 ounces a day to be adequately hydrated.

I would work up to your own water needs, and give it a couple of weeks then I bet you'll feel better.

HTH, Julie
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon a day at lest when I started in High School I had the same problem however after a moth or so I couldnt live with out my gallon jug at my side. And yes I did carry a gallon with me now I did start slow but still with my gallon jug so I knew just how much I was drinking and now after 12+ years I get a bad headache if I dont get close to my gallon I also started to carry 1L water bottle to fill from my gallon and I would have 4 fills in a day. Its a bit less scary at first. Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions.
    -Raven