Versatile Whole Wheat Pancakes!

Options
officiallymrswhite
officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
So, I found a recipe to make whole wheat pancakes online, but I modified it, and the finished product was AWESOME!! I am really looking forward to seeing how else I can change these up....maybe add some nuts...pumpkin pie spice for the fall...chocolate chips....bananas....blueberries...super versatile and a huge portion and filling!!! LOVE EM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 egg (I used egg sub. since I am watching my sat. fat)
1 1/2 cup of milk (I used 1%)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs brown sugar (or honey...or splenda...whatever you prefer)
...I also added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon (more to taste if you like), and 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract (again more if you prefer)

Mix the flour and baking powder together in one large bowl
Then, mix egg, salt, brown sugar (or sweetener), cinnamon, and vanilla

Add egg mix to dry ingredients and stir

Grease a griddle or frying pan with cooking spray. Measure 1/4 cup of batter to make 1 pancake.

This is servings for 4 (I got about 3 pancakes a serving)...here is the nutrition facts for 1 serving:

185 Calories
34 Carbs
2 Fat
1 Saturated Fat
5 Fiber
10 Protein

I topped them off with a little honey and they were super filling and delicious!! So much better than the packaged brands! Enjoy!!!!

Replies

• BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy! I will have to try this sometime..
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Now I have a way to use up my extra blueberries!
  • officiallymrswhite
    Options
    Super good! I just made a bunch and will be sticking them in the freezer. If you freeze...just make sure to put wax paper in between them! :smile:
  • RinaMax
    RinaMax Posts: 33
    Options
    Bump :)
  • roxiedo
    roxiedo Posts: 154
    Options
    thanks! Bump
  • deevo
    deevo Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Sounds almost like the same recipe that the hungry-girl web site uses. I just has banana pancakes from that website. The portions are 5 small banana pancakes for 135 calories. I also used egg substitute. Plus it is also in the data base here!!

1/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup mashed banana (about half a banana's worth)
    3 tablespoons fat free liquid egg substitute
    1 tablespoon light vanilla soymilk
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 no calorie sweetener packet
    dash salt
    dash cinnamon
  • bkweibel
    bkweibel Posts: 77
    Options
    BUMP
  • Boomerof51
    Boomerof51 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump Mmmmm!
  • melissaforster07
    melissaforster07 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yummy! Bumb
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe!
  • maadee91
    maadee91 Posts: 28
    Options
    I just got on MFP to try and find a healthy breakfast, and this was the first post... I tried them (with a little honey and a few chocolate chips) and they were delicious! Thanks!
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    Fantastic recipe.
  • officiallymrswhite
    Options
    I just got on MFP to try and find a healthy breakfast, and this was the first post... I tried them (with a little honey and a few chocolate chips) and they were delicious! Thanks!

Great!!! Did you mix the honey in the batter? or add it when they were cooked?
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing this! My recipe uses a buttload of expensive items (like powdered buttermilk and dry egg whites, hard on the budget!). I like YOUR recipe that's so simple and sounds fantastic.

Sometimes you can find whole-wheat flour at grocery outlets, a 5# bag for a dollar. It keeps well in the freezer too. Can't beat cheap, healthy homemade breakfasts! Thanks!
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Bump for my pancakes habit. Maybe my daughter will like these since she wasn't big on the pumpkin pancakes, which me and my DS loved. lol
  • Heather3186
    Options
    thanks for posting! I love pancakes! :o)
  • officiallymrswhite
    Options
    UPDATE: I had a serving of these for breakfast this morning along with 2 slices of turkey bacon, and 1/4 cup of egg sub...that was 3 1/2 hours ago...and I am STILL FULL!! These are a keeper!! woot woot!! :smile:
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Sound yummy! Will be trying these, thanks!
  • maadee91
    maadee91 Posts: 28
    Options

Great!!! Did you mix the honey in the batter? or add it when they were cooked?

I used brown sugar in the batter and about a teaspoon of honey on the top after they were done. It was great- was finally able to use the whole wheat flour that's been sitting in my pantry forever, too =)
  • stefnicole
    stefnicole Posts: 106
    Options
    Bump!