Cheat days?

Options
What??? Ok so my scale stalled, I've been overall good with my calories and I cook every single day. Well, yesterday I was exhausted of cooking and I bought subway, for me that's considered a HUGE cheat since I haven't been eating out. I still stayed under my calories but I cheated. I actually lost weight. Do people actually lose weight with cheat days? Please explain your thoughts on this. Not saying I'm going to do it again, I'm just curious.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you were within your calories you didn't cheat on anything.

Many people who do cheat days could seriously destroy their deficit for the week.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Do you normally eat many carbs? I find often if im bloated or retaining water a high carb day slims me right down, Even when i eat high carb a small amount less slowly increases the bloat without me even noticing until i have a high carb day and wake up so slim and toned looking lol. My body does well on carbs so thatd likely be it in my situation.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eating above normal can sometimes help with cortisol levels and cause you to lose water weight. But eating more does not improve fat loss.

I'm not a fan of "cheat" mentality. In too many cases it sets people up for binges or out-eating their weekly deficits or feeling guilty about eating. I'm a fan of building a positive long term relationship between my body and food and cheat meals or days is goes counter to that. I'd rather eat at maintenance once a week and enjoy myself than call it a cheat and then berate myself afterward.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of cheating if you didn't go over your calories? Is it because you had a take-out meal? I actually have surplus days where I eat more but it is all in my plan and I stay in my deficit. And I while I prefer to cook myself (since my cooking is pretty awesome ;) ) eating out or at a restaurant is actually a nice break..I just account for the calories and I'm good!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I think you might be confused.

Do you think certain foods cause weight gain?

Calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight. You could eat only ice cream and lose weight if you were in a deficit.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    "Cheating" gets used in a lot of different ways, so context matters here. You say you stayed under calories - that's the key factor in weight loss.

Think of it like a bank account --
    If you put in more than you take out, it'll get bigger. Take out more than you put in, it'll get smaller. It doesn't matter if you're putting in 100 old, dirty pennies or a brand spanking new $1. The balance in the account changes by the exact same amount either way.

Your body/weight is similar. Put in more than you take out, and it'll get bigger. Take out more than you put in, and it'll get smaller. It doesn't matter if you're putting in 500 calories of subway or 500 calories of fruits and veggies. It's still 500 calories.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,997 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't have cheat days, but I do eat at Subway almost every Wednesday. I eat out usually once or twice a week. Sometimes more. As long as you stick to your calorie goal then you will lose weight. I have lost ~73 pounds and am now in maintenance. I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my goals. I eat more now at maintenance, but I ate the same foods when I was losing.
  • MrsLengares2015
    MrsLengares2015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I cheat one day a week. I have read that it's a good way to keep your body regular so you don't plateau. So far I have lost 37 pounds and a total of 11 weeks so I believe that the one cheat all week does not hurt you at all. Sometimes I cheat for lunch sometimes I cheat for dinner it just depends on what I want and what I'm craving. It also helps me keep a level head if I know that I can have it one day a week I won't splurge on it all the time. My cheat day is usually the day that I weigh for the week. I do my weigh in's Mondays so I cheat one meal on Monday. 80% of the time I cook my own meals breakfast, lunch and dinner at home it just depends on what gets in the way for the day. Most of the time when I do eat out I pick a place that has a salad bar and Chicken on the menu and then I'm usually pretty good. If you truly want something don't deprive yourself you will lose the weight you just have to give it time. It is true calories in calories out if you eat more calories than your working out then you gain. I just stay active morning gym night gym 7 days a week. If you want it bad enough you'll get it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I don't have cheat days, but I do eat at Subway almost every Wednesday. I eat out usually once or twice a week. Sometimes more. As long as you stick to your calorie goal then you will lose weight. I have lost ~73 pounds and am now in maintenance. I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my goals. I eat more now at maintenance, but I ate the same foods when I was losing.

For you ladies eating at subway how are you logging it? I eat the Italian bmt, so when I select Italian bmt for I think 425 calories, what is that included? Or do I signally pick the bread, meats and so on?
  • aplaw87
    aplaw87 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Girl that is not a cheat day LOL my cheat day = 3000+ calories. If I'm under my calories it's not a cheat day :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't really have the "cheat day" mentality...but if I did, it certainly wouldn't be subway under my calorie targets...

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Calorie deficit is all that is needed to lose weight. You could eat only ice cream and lose weight if you were in a deficit.

Short term, this isn't true (you said "weight", not "fat").

I'm going for sushi for lunch today. Even if I stay under my calorie goals, my weight will likely be up tomorrow. I use too much soy sauce, and the sodium will have me retaining water and the scale will go up.

Sounds like for some a big carb load can have a short term impact (drop) on weight. Not sure I get the same result, but it's possible. I never really tracked it.

Long term, no argument. But, for me, it helps to understand why my weight fluctuates. Now I'm wondering if I should do a big carb day and see if my weight drops.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I don't like the word "cheat" in this instance. If your goal is losing weight and you stayed within your calorie goal and lost weight (as expected), you didn't cheat at all. In fact, you won fair and square!
    I have lost over 40 pounds and ate all my favorite foods. Macarons, cake, and enchiladas to name a few. Just less of them and swapped some things for lower calorie options while also trying to focus on eating more nutrient dense foods as often as possible. I'm satisfied and thinner. No cheating here.
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You are still eating in cal deficit, not sure why this would be a surprise. Regardless of what you think of the food, if you are eating in cal deficit and your metabolism is not dropping you will lose weight. Your scale stall but for how long? Your toilet situation, water retention vary your weight everyday. Its hard to judge what really is going on when other things aren't tracked. It would also be very premature to judge from this experience and conclude that I can start eating junk from now on and loose weight.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I'm going for sushi for lunch today. Even if I stay under my calorie goals, my weight will likely be up tomorrow. I use too much soy sauce, and the sodium will have me retaining water and the scale will go up.

Sounds like for some a big carb load can have a short term impact (drop) on weight. Not sure I get the same result, but it's possible. I never really tracked it.

Long term, no argument. But, for me, it helps to understand why my weight fluctuates. Now I'm wondering if I should do a big carb day and see if my weight drops.

Yes I said weight, because weight gain or loss isn't exclusively fat there are many things to factor in including undigested food, water retention, muscle synthesis, muscle loss to name a few.

My point is if you eat in a deficit, you will lose weight on average regardless of what food is consumed. The weight will not be exclusively fat because it's impossible.

Sodium induced water gains are temporary as well.

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,997 Member
    Options
    Famof72015 wrote: »

For you ladies eating at subway how are you logging it? I eat the Italian bmt, so when I select Italian bmt for I think 425 calories, what is that included? Or do I signally pick the bread, meats and so on?

I always get the same thing, so I logged each item individually from the Subway website and then saved it as a meal.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

@Tacklewasher My weight definatly doesnt drop with higher carb days, But damn do i slim out. No clue where it goes O_o specifically with potatoes
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options

I log the meat, bread, cheese, and condiments individually and round everything up 25% from their official listings. I don't log veggies because life's too short and I'm already rounding up.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options

I log the meat, bread, cheese, and condiments individually and round everything up 25% from their official listings. I don't log veggies because life's too short and I'm already rounding up.

Why do you round them up 25%?