Deadlift with octagon style weights

I'm sure there's an easy fix for this that I haven't figured out. When I do deadlifts with the octagon style weighs I always seem to put the weight down on a point so one of the weights shifts and moves the bar out of parallel. It's annoying as hell and really affects my momentum. I have to stop reset and lift again. Anyone have a fix for this? We don't have any other kind of weights unfortunately.

Replies

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Does your barbell have bearings on the ends? The bars that I use in the gym have bearings, so they will roll to the flat side of the weight when you set it down.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    I'm sure they do. Maybe the bearings aren't working properly.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    With many things in life, a little lubrication makes things go smoother. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Put collars on the ends so the weights can't move?
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Reseting between lifts is what I like to do even with round plates personally. But the thing I hate about round plates is if your gym floor is un-even ..... it tries to roll off between sets lol. Grass is always greener on the other side I suppose.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    edited August 2017
    There's no good way to deadlift with the octagon plates.

They'll either roll away or roll into your shins.

You might want to switch to Romanian Deadlifts.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    My buddy Brad uses them, make they look like they're fake... strangest thing.

On a serious note grab some mats or even yoga mats and put th at the end. It's not totally a true deadlift but they'll stop rolling all funky. Might work might not.
  • timsla
    timsla Posts: 174 Member
    Also you can buy just two 45 pound bumper plates typically they're bigger than steel 45s and oddly being them in with you or leave them there and write your name on them haha
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    timsla wrote: »
    My buddy Brad uses them, make they look like they're fake... strangest thing.

On a serious note grab some mats or even yoga mats and put th at the end. It's not totally a true deadlift but they'll stop rolling all funky. Might work might not.

LOL to the brad thing!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Whoever thought those plates were a good idea should be beaten with them.
  • kevinf2380
    Put collars on the ends so the weights can't move?

I use collars on the end.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I don't think there's a good way to deal with those. Many deadlift articles I've read discourage their use because of the problems you are experiencing
  • kevinf2380
    It's nice to know that others can relate.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Bruised shins for life. Really just control the weight the best you can.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    I remember someone on here a while back recommending putting towels or something squishy under the plates. No idea how effective that is though.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    I got nothing, that sucks.