Digital or not

Which scale has been most accurate to you? I'm looking to buy one but not sure if I should get it digital or not. I've been digitally weighing myself at work (vet office lol) but sometimes the numbers can be weird but would like one at home.

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Most scales are going to be perfectly fine so long as they're in good working order and kept in the same place and on a flat surface. The important things to remember are that your weight is going to vary from day-to-day in sometimes weird ways, and that scales often vary from one another in small ways that you can't control.

In terms of digital or not, however, I use digital because I have a hard time reading the display on mechanical scales.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    I had a non-digital passed down from my mother. I finally threw it away. Always accurate. I like the nice glass one I bought even though it's a pain to replace the batteries. I put mine on carpet but put a big cutting board under the scale.
    *Don't bother with one that measures body fat. That measurement is incredibly inaccurate.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    I like digital but it is a pain to have to replace the batteries so often. I'm a daily weigher so it gets used a lot.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I have a digital... I weigh in the morning, and can't always find my glasses. The one I use captures the number and flashes it a couple of times, so I can bend over and read the number.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    I find it odd that analog versions are still available, given that price difference is almost non-existent.
    Technically the weighting mechanism is the same regardless of display type. More expensive ones tend to be more accurate and better calibrated.
    But I can't even imagine trying to figure out my weight with 100 gram increments on analog scale display.
    Digital all the way - it's 21st century after all.
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    I like digital but it is a pain to have to replace the batteries so often. I'm a daily weigher so it gets used a lot.

I weigh daily also and current batteries have been in my scale for a year at least.
  • IsabeausRose
    IsabeausRose Posts: 129 Member
    I've had the same scale for about 20 years. I've replaced the batteries about 3 times and it's as accurate as the doctors scale. It's a tanita digital. I thought about replacing it next month but I don't think I would find the same quality unless I want to spend $100.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    All right cool thanks everyone! :) I'll probably get a digital one but wanted to know if anyone had noticed a difference between the 2 :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    I do not own one. never have. never will.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    It's 2017...do they even have analogue scales anymore?
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's 2017...do they even have analogue scales anymore?

Yeah, I bought one at Target about a year and a half ago when I was starting to think about this whole weight loss thing. I never use it because I can't read it very well even with my glasses on.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Digital all the way. I weigh daily and only change the battery once a year.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Digital all the way. I weigh daily and only change the battery once a year.

I change the batteries in mine every few months.. Why pray tell? Because i am often convinced that the unsatisfactory number the stupid scale is showing me is wrong because the battery is half dead or something... Alas, after changing the battery i find there was nothing wrong with the previous one... :flushed:

OP I'd go for digital, analogue are a pain in the butt.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Meelisv wrote: »

I weigh daily also and current batteries have been in my scale for a year at least.

Well, I also have a toddler that likes to get on and off it a lot too, he likes seeing the numbers flash on and off. So honestly it's probably that