Weight loss and sleep

Options
I have read that lack of sleep can hinder weight loss. What do you think???

Here is something I just read from WebMD.

Exactly how lack of sleep affects our ability to lose weight has a lot to do with our nightly hormones, explains Breus.

The two hormones that are key in this process are ghrelin and leptin. “Ghrelin is the ‘go’ hormone that tells you when to eat, and when you are sleep-deprived, you have more ghrelin,” Breus says. “Leptin is the hormone that tells you to stop eating, and when you are sleep deprived, you have less leptin.”

More ghrelin plus less leptin equals weight gain.

“You are eating more, plus your metabolism is slower when you are sleep-deprived,” Breus says.

On that note, I better get to bed! :)

Replies

• fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you on that as I work shifts and feel more better when sleping at night than durning the day as the body is designed to rest/sleep at night also correct with the weight loss
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Very wrong, gherlin triggers growth hormone which burns bodyfat. Leptin telling you to stop eating? Possibly. I think the issue with lack of sleep is being tired and not wanting to exercise, things of that sort. I do believe that lack of sleep does hinder weight loss, but the way it was said on webMD highly inaccurate.

If I remember correctly,the lower leptin levels the thinner you are.
  • jhchurch
    jhchurch Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Julian Whitaker, MD in his booklet "Whitaker Weight Loss Solution" suggests this in his booklet. Whitaker indicates our body depletes glucose and gyucogen stores, and then goes to fats. Fat is our backup energy source. Stored fat isn't burned as effiecently. His take on it all is called a "Mini-Fast." He says when we eat breakfast (carbohydrates), our body goes from buring fat back to burning carbohydrate. He recommends a fast from eight to 12 hours. A physical workout during the fast. He also suggests elimiating starches and sugars. (This is old school-) I hae heard that anything white is eliminated. Bread, potatoes, sugar, etc.) In recent years there have been many sudies of sugar. One thought to be all bad, they are now evaluated by the body's tolerance of them, etc. Called the gylcemic Index
    I quit going to Jenny Craig when I stopped loosing weight. They said I was cheating, I tired to tell them it has something to do with the gyycemic and glucose. They said the Dr. says you are not diiabetic.
    I found a chart on line sometime back (about 4 to 5 years) that list almost all foods, and rated them The chart is color coded with green, yellow, and red. Green being the best, and red to avoid..
    For example some diets in years past said that women shouldn't eat carrots when dieting because of the sugar. But the Index shows they are well tolerarated. Where as we think gatorade is good for you but according to the index it is in the red. All our bodies are different. We have to tinker with the food to see what works best for us. As long as one is losing up to two pounds a week average, they are okay.. We like to loose fast, but we didn't put on fast. We slowly out grown our clothes. We can slowly gro back into them.